• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Levi's Files a Suit against Polo

From wwd.com. This whole Intellectual Property thing is getting a little out of hand, I think. What's next, Comme des Garcons suing someone over patchwork? I once wrote a paper against Intellectual Property in fashion, and for a good reason I think.

Levi's Files Suit Against Polo

Monday, July 23, 2007

By Joanna Ramey

SAN FRANCISCO ?
    Levi Strauss & Co. has taken Polo Ralph Lauren Corp. to court,
    alleging the sportswear company illegally copied the jeans maker's
    trademarked pocket stitching design.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • zamb
    • Nov 2006

Re: Levi's Files a Suit against Polo

[quote user="Faust"]

From wwd.com. This whole Intellectual Property thing is getting a little out of hand, I think. What's next, Comme des Garcons suing someone over patchwork? I once wrote a paper against Intellectual Property in fashion, and for a good reason I think.

Levi's Files Suit Against Polo

Monday, July 23, 2007

By Joanna Ramey

SAN FRANCISCO ? Levi Strauss & Co. has taken Polo Ralph Lauren Corp. to court, alleging the sportswear company illegally copied the jeans maker's trademarked pocket stitching design.

[/quote]

I would love to read the article ( i cancelled my WWD Subscription as there are more days when its a waste of paper than when it has anything meaningful) and to see copies of each garment...............

BUT at this stage, i really dont think anyone can claim Originality in fashion anymore........... we just had a situation at my Job where the goverment is claiming it reserves the right to revoke patents as it sees fit. (cant talk about it too much.... somre crap about being classified info and a pending legal battle)

Anyways, the Japanese have been copying levis for years , andf i dont see them suing........ that being said Ralph Lauren is Known for copying. YSL once sued Him and won for copying a Tuxedo dress...........

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• sinnah
      • Feb 2007

[quote user="zamb"]

Anyways, the Japanese have been copying levis for years , andf i dont see them suing........ that being said Ralph Lauren is Known for copying. YSL once sued Him and won for copying a Tuxedo dress...........

[/quote]

Levis did sue japanese companies like Sugar Cane, Iron Heart, and Samurai for allegedly copying their arcuate and tab on the pocket. Both Self Edge and Blue in Green denim boutiques were affected by it as well... I believe they had to cut off the tabs and unstitch the arcuates off all the denim before they could sell them again.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Yeah, I read about that, sinnah. However, Ralph Lauren has much deeper pockets than all the Japanese denim companies put together.

Zam, I will send you a super interesting article from NYTimes on copying in fashion. PM me your current email address. Come to think of it, I might break NY Times International Property laws and paste it on the forums (if they sue me, I think we can scrunge up $600 between the 100 or so of us that post on the forums :-).

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

[quote user="sinnah"][quote user="zamb"]

[/quote]

Levis did sue japanese companies like Sugar Cane, Iron Heart, and Samurai for allegedly copying their arcuate and tab on the pocket. Both Self Edge and Blue in Green denim boutiques were affected by it as well... I believe they had to cut off the tabs and unstitch the arcuates off all the denim before they could sell them again.

[/quote]

Didnt know anything about this, I am good friends with one of the partner Owners of Blue on Green, they actually tried to get me to do select menswear peices for them (not ready for the menswear as yet until i can do it the way i really want to)

Interestingly , idid see some levi's "inspired" stuff at Blue on Green...................I also have a friend here in queens that sells tons of that stuff at a store he owns

Faust,

i will send you the e-mail address, it is also Public domain so i guess i could just post it here,

Speaking of Levi's ..............I am wearing one of their twist seam cotton Jeans right now, and I've bought about 6 pairs of their jeans over the last two Months...........I think i have two in the Mail on the way to me right now, they are my new favorite Jeans brands..................again . because they have started making jeans that are for Today.....

aa opposed to just issuing those boring, long-crotch , hard fabric crap they call "Classics" 501's. 517's etc.

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎