X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • casem
    • Sep 2006

DIY getting rid of stains

I don't know if anyone remembers my story of woe from a couple months back. But I found this Cloak jacket at C21 for $250, went to buy it and the clerk f*cked up taking the ink tag off and got a big ink splotch on the inside arm. She told me there was nothing I could do to get it out so I walked away in awe of what just happened. Well, a few days ago I was at C21 and to my amazement the jacket was back on the floor marked down to $40 because of the ink stain. I couldn't pass it up at that price so I got it. Now I'm trying to decide what to do to fix it. I thought of three solutions a) leave it alone, some of my friends think it looks kinda cool and it's on the inside arm so it's not too noticeable b) find a similar colored material and put a small square patch on each arm where the stain is (make it look like an intentional detail) c) find a magic working dry-cleaner who can get it out (unlikely). I'll post pics of the actually stain later today, let me what you think I should do or if you have any other ideas.

(BTW damn I wish I had those pants, that pleating detail is badass.)

music
  • ddohnggo
    • Oct 2006

Re: DIY getting rid of stains

why not dye the entire garment the same color?
    Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Casius
      • Dec 2006

I don't know what kind of ink is used in those security tags, but for pen ink, I've heard of spraying the stain with hair spray then putting it in the laundry. :)
      "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

d) cut off both sleeves at the shoulder and have a sleeveless jacket.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

I saw the Jacket and passed it on, i thought about buying it and selling it here as its wasnt my size, but your best bet is the idea you suggested (which i thought of when i saw it) to sew a small patch over the damage as its not very big, and would be a unique detail .

If you need help to repair it just send ma PM , i can fix it for you very easily usually i use oxy-clean and baking soda to remove stains but i know from experience that it wont work on that kind of stain

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• casem
            • Sep 2006

Thanks for the offer Zamb, I might take you up on that if I decide to fix it, I might still just leave it alone though. I'm going to take it to the drycleaner soon because it's a bit dirty all around and see if they can do anything for me. Here are some pics.

music

Comment

• clay
              • Sep 2006

I would get a piece of same color or tan leather or suede and make a nice patch detail on both arms and then to have more continuity, add it to the under collar, so when it flips up you can see it all three places.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

This site may help:

http://cleaning.lifetips.com/cat/740...hes/index.html

but if it doesn't come out... I'd do something a-la Luster era of Dior Homme and find some off-white fabric that matches and do some bands across the forearms (even just one 2" wide one) to both cover up the stain and change the look a little bit. Retains that military feel while covering up that technicolor discrepancy.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• DHC
                  • Jul 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

This site may help:

http://cleaning.lifetips.com/cat/740...hes/index.html

but if it doesn't come out... I'd do something a-la Luster era of Dior Homme and find some off-white fabric that matches and do some bands across the forearms (even just one 2" wide one) to both cover up the stain and change the look a little bit. Retains that military feel while covering up that technicolor discrepancy.

[/quote]

LOL!

Casem, I'm with Albert. A band over the forearms is a solid option to cleaning as I highly doubt that the stain is going anywhere. If you do find someone that manages to get that our without compromising the leather's integrity, please let me know. That is a person to know. At $40 I couldn't give 2 shytes though. I would have snagged it in a second too.

Originally posted by Faust
                  fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• grapist
                    • Sep 2007

I actually bought that exact jacket way back in May. And then I returned it the next day when I found out about the stain. Then I found another white Cloak jacket, the one with the arrows, in XS (which was a better fit!). I went to buy it, and of course, THAT had a stain too. All of the white Cloak pieces at c21 had those stains :(

Comment

• gius
                      • Nov 2007

There is also an awesome book out called Haley's Hints
                      I saw it on PBS on tv a few weeks ago (American channel)
                      It has a load of recipes you can use to solve many problems, especially getting rid of stains and most using only things you might already find lying around in your home, like bleach, household ammonia, water softener, etc.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="gius"]There is also an awesome book out called Haley's Hints
                        I saw it on PBS on tv a few weeks ago (American channel)
                        It has a load of recipes you can use to solve many problems, especially getting rid of stains and most using only things you might already find lying around in your home, like bleach, household ammonia, water softener, etc.
                        [/quote]

I'd have to check it out, thanks. I have this awesome Giorgio Brato leather jacket that I want to sell, but it has a small red ink spot on the end of one sleeve. I need to get rid of it so I can put it up on Ebay.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• gusgusterson
                          • Mar 2007

I'm not sure of how they would work on leather or ink stains, but I've had incredible luck with Laundress products (http://www.thelaundress.com/AboutUs/...-Laundress.asp).

(Available at my favorite drug store: New London Pharmacy in Chelsea)

Comment

• casem
                            • Sep 2006

Hey, nice photoshopping, that looks kinda cool. I've left it for now (it's been cleaned of course so it's not grimmy anymore). But come warmer weather when I can wear it again I might do the armband thing.
                            music

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎