Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Radiohead album - pay what you like.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

New Radiohead album - pay what you like.

I thought this is pretty cool of Radiohead, whether you consider this a marketing gimmick or not. You can preorder the download of their new album and pay however much you think it's worth.</p>

http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html</p>
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Servo2000
    • Oct 2006

Re: New Radiohead album - pay what you like.

[quote user="Faust"]

I thought this is pretty cool of Radiohead, whether you consider this a marketing gimmick or not. You can preorder the download of their new album and pay however much you think it's worth.</P>

http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html </P>[/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>It's interesting to see a "mainstream" artist do something like this (several other artists have released albums this way). I wonder if by avoiding labels they manage to pocket more of the profits, which might allow them to do this because I guarantee they won't make as much as if they had just sold the album.</DIV>
    WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="Faust"]

I thought this is pretty cool of Radiohead, whether you consider this a marketing gimmick or not. You can preorder the download of their new album and pay however much you think it's worth.</p>

http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html </p>[/quote]<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>It's interesting to see a "mainstream" artist do something like this (several other artists have released albums this way). I wonder if by avoiding labels they manage to pocket more of the profits, which might allow them to do this because I guarantee they won't make as much as if they had just sold the album.</div>

[/quote]</p>

I don't think they will still be able to avoid labels entirely. CDs are still very important - MP3 never sounds as good. I still buy music that I actually care about listening to on CDs.</p>
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• dzphoto
        • Dec 2006

<span style="font-size:12.0pt;font-family:Times;mso-ansi-language:EN-US">It will be interesting to see what the bit rateoptions are for the download are.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>I could almost see Radiohead offering a full quality option no matterhow long it takes to download, but I doubt there is any server in the worldthat could handle that many people trying to download such a huge file all atthe same time on the 10<sup>th</sup>.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>No matter what happens I can Guarantee we are going to see more of thisin the near future.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>Bands are justtoo sick of the record industry. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span></span>

Comment

• philip nod
          • Aug 2007

i'm listening to it right now. i didn't pay anything for it because i'll probably get the vinyl. why would you pay anything for it if its being offered for free? <DIV>i love videotape, heard their live versions last year was my favorite song. i have a long day today in new york city and my ipod is hungry for new shit.</DIV>
          One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]i'm listening to it right now. i didn't pay anything for it because i'll probably get the vinyl. why would you pay anything for it if its being offered for free? <div>i love videotape, heard their live versions last year was my favorite song. i have a long day today in new york city and my ipod is hungry for new shit.</div>

[/quote]</p>

Because you appreciate their work. :-)</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
              • Aug 2007

<DIV>being a visual artist who if i'm lucky only sells to extremely rich people i'm used to giving away my art for free to the public. </DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV>yeah, glad i didn't though. the tracks are sub cd quality. radiohead dupped the masses.<DIV>http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/46266-radiohead-album-now-available</DIV>

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]<div>being a visual artist who if i'm lucky only sells to extremely rich people i'm used to giving away my art for free to the public. </div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div>yeah, glad i didn't though. the tracks are sub cd quality. radiohead dupped the masses.<div>http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/46266-radiohead-album-now-available</div>

[/quote]</p>

Naturally - it's mp3. Most people don't care, I guess.</p>

Hmm, but that kind of goes against your original point about paying a premium for Poell, no? You consider his work art and don't mind paying a premium for it. </p>

About giving your art away to the public - what do you mean? Do you give it to your friends, or do you post it on the internet? Would like to see your work, btw!</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• philip nod
                  • Aug 2007

yes its tricky territory here faust<DIV>if i want something bad enough, i'll pay top dollar for it. or top canadian dollar. if there's an art piece i want, i shell out for it. but if someone wants to give me a Poell suit for free or whatever i wish. i'm gonna take it for free. why not? there are so many other places where my money is going. like how much money to you pay at the Met everytime you go? 20? hell no, why would you? thats a tourist scam.</DIV><DIV>i exhibit in museums and galleries all over the world. i never see a dime of any money involved with those exhibitions unless something sells to somebody very rich, and i see a small percentage at that. so i give my art away free all the time. people can have a very deep understanding and experience of my work without ever having paid a cent. and thats the option they have going to galleries and to a lesser extent museums. so if radiohead wants to use their power and distribution to expose people to their work for free, why not then? </DIV><DIV>short answer: i'm cheap with music</DIV>

Comment

• philip nod
                    • Aug 2007

they have a song named Faust Arp!

Comment

• Servo2000
                      • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="philip nod"]<div>being a visual artist who if i'm lucky only sells to extremely rich people i'm used to giving away my art for free to the public. </div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div>yeah, glad i didn't though. the tracks are sub cd quality. radiohead dupped the masses.<div>http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/46266-radiohead-album-now-available</div>

[/quote]</p>

Hmm, but that kind of goes against your original point about paying a premium for Poell, no? You consider his work art and don't mind paying a premium for it. </p>

About giving your art away to the public - what do you mean? Do you give it to your friends, or do you post it on the internet? Would like to see your work, btw! </p>[/quote]<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>I can understand that they didn't want to release the thing in FLAC, but I certainly wouldn't have minded a 320 kbs .mp3 since unless you have a good ear and an even better soundsystem most people wouldnt be able to hear the difference.</div>

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]yes its tricky territory here faust<div>if i want something bad enough, i'll pay top dollar for it. or top canadian dollar. if there's an art piece i want, i shell out for it. but if someone wants to give me a Poell suit for free or whatever i wish. i'm gonna take it for free. why not? there are so many other places where my money is going. like how much money to you pay at the Met everytime you go? 20? hell no, why would you? thats a tourist scam.</div><div>i exhibit in museums and galleries all over the world. i never see a dime of any money involved with those exhibitions unless something sells to somebody very rich, and i see a small percentage at that. so i give my art away free all the time. people can have a very deep understanding and experience of my work without ever having paid a cent. and thats the option they have going to galleries and to a lesser extent museums. so if radiohead wants to use their power and distribution to expose people to their work for free, why not then? </div><div>short answer: i'm cheap with music</div>

[/quote]</p>

Ah, I see. It makes sense on a certain level. I guess getting your name out is part of the deal, maybe sometimes even more beneficial then selling.</p>

LOL at the song name. I should check it out.</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="Faust"][quote user="philip nod"]<div>being a visual artist who if i'm lucky only sells to extremely rich people i'm used to giving away my art for free to the public. </div><div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div>yeah, glad i didn't though. the tracks are sub cd quality. radiohead dupped the masses.<div>http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/page/news/46266-radiohead-album-now-available</div>

[/quote]</p>

About giving your art away to the public - what do you mean? Do you give it to your friends, or do you post it on the internet? Would like to see your work, btw! </p>[/quote]<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>I can understand that they didn't want to release the thing in FLAC, but I certainly wouldn't have minded a 320 kbs .mp3 since unless you have a good ear and an even better soundsystem most people wouldnt be able to hear the difference.</div>

[/quote]</p>

I'm not one of those people [83] . Not that I'm a hardcore audiophile, but most MP3s just sound flat.
                          </p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"][quote user="Servo2000"]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I can understand that they didn't want to release the thing in FLAC, but I certainly wouldn't have minded a 320 kbs .mp3 since unless you have a good ear and an even better soundsystem most people wouldnt be able to hear the difference.</DIV>

[/quote]</P>

I'm not one of those people [83] . Not that I'm a hardcore audiophile, but most MP3s just sound flat.
                            </P>[/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Ha, like I said, most people. I can hear the difference as well, so I'll probably wait until someone rips .flac files of the CD / vinyl once it comes out (Well, I'll probably download it now to listen to, but again then).</DIV>

Comment

• dzphoto
                              • Dec 2006

<p class="MsoNormal">I can?t believe all the uproar on the net about the album downloadbeing a 160kbs mp3.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>Sure 320 wouldbe nice but come on, what did you honestly think it was going to be?<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span><span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span>I?m also a visual artist and I totally disagree with thepremise that putting my work in a gallery is giving it away.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>Is going to A and looking at the suit givingit away? <span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>Sure I saw it,experienced it, and appreciate it.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>But it?s not mine. I don?t have it.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span>To have it I need to buy it.<span style="mso-spacerun:yes"> </span>I think the pay what you want data for the album will bepretty interesting if they release it.<span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>I didn?t have to, but I paid 12 bucks and am perfectly happy.<o:p></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal">but I?ll be happier if I get that suit <span style="font-family:Wingdings;mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Wingdings"><span style="mso-char-type:symbol;mso-symbol-font-family:Wingdings">J</span></span><o:p></o:p></p>

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎