• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tony
    • Sep 2007

Musical Hints

I think a topic for sharing good music wont be bad ;)</p>

So, just write down your recently/all time/new discvoverd loved artists, tracks, or records or whatever, you´d like share with us</p>

this just should help to find new good music and inspiration(...)</p>

so...</p>

I think a short information, the name, maybe a song wouldn´t be bad...</p>

as a start :</p>

Patrick Wolf</p>

Patrick Wolf born Patrick Apps on June 30, 1983 at St Thomas' Hospital, London) is an English singer-songwriter from South London. Wolf plays many instruments including harp, clavinet, harpsichord, guitar, piano, autoharp, kantele, organ, mountain dulcimer, clavichord, harmonium, accordion, theremin, ukulele, viola and violin.</p>

His music is something between pop, folk, with some electronic influences</p>

short references to his records :</p>

Patrick's 2003 debut, 'Lycanthropy', mixed folk music, riot-breaks and
    celebratory songs about cutting off your own penis. It was, on many
    levels, quite unlike anything NME had ever heard before. Sonically, we
    were shocked and awed that a record could be so monstrously electronic,
    so pop and so neo-classically swish all at the same time. But, more
    than that, this was a record with soul, a record of poetry, a record -
    given Patrick's soaring, snarling theatrical voice - of quite glorious
    melodrama.</p>

Wind In The Wires' was written in a similar state of emotional flux.however, you can hear hurt and anger in 'The Libertine' or recklessness
    in the titanic 'Tristan' (which sounds like '80s glamour pusses ABC
    meets techno glitchers Squarepusher), 'Wind In The Wires' is, for the
    most part, far less highly-strung than'Lycanthropy', if no less
    startling. By the time Patrick had written the spectral, FX-swaddled
    title track (in the aftermath of a terrific storm which felt like it
    was going to tip his wooden shack into the sea), his frustration and
    rage had subsided, to give way to a more singer-songwriterly,
    reflective sound. Where 'Lycanthropy' flashed with energy and nervous
    creative excitement, his new album finesses and evolves this hybrid of
    pop and medieval folk and electronica, without losing any of the jagged
    edge.</p>

With The Magic Position, though, Wolf shakes off much of the
    brooding insularity that clouded his previous records, refining his
    melodic strengths and overcoming his tendency toward sullen
    introspection. Album opener "Overture" has an energetic, marching
    pulse, its ascending violin line providing a lilting and confident
    backbone as Wolf announces his newly discovered positivity.(....)</p>

i just adore his lyrics and his voice!!</p>

Tristan - Patrick Wolf</p>

</p>

The Magic Position</p>

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HeR9_7cACUc</p>

A Boy Like Me</p>

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4ZM1mPSiUaQ&amp;mode=related&amp;search=</p>
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Re: Musical Hints

It would also help if could describe the artist. I am looking for new music, and not finding much to be honest, and I am sure my lack of initiative is partially to blame.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
      • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]It would also help if could describe the artist. I am looking for new music, and not finding much to be honest, and I am sure my lack of initiative is partially to blame.
      [/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I know everyone hates this question, but what kind of stuff are you looking for? Drop a few band names / genres and I'll see what I can do for you. I'm splitting my days pretty evenly at the moment between looking for music and college applications, I typically spend the vast majority of my time trolling the internet for new bands to devour.</DIV>
      WTB: Rick Owens Padded MA-1 Bomber XS (LIMO / MOUNTAIN)

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

[quote user="Servo2000"][quote user="Faust"]It would also help if could describe the artist. I am looking for new music, and not finding much to be honest, and I am sure my lack of initiative is partially to blame.
        [/quote]<div><br class="khtml-block-placeholder"></div><div>I know everyone hates this question, but what kind of stuff are you looking for? Drop a few band names / genres and I'll see what I can do for you. I'm splitting my days pretty evenly at the moment between looking for music and college applications, I typically spend the vast majority of my time trolling the internet for new bands to devour.</div>

[/quote]</p>

Rock:</p>

Nine Inch Nails</p>

Rage Against the Machine</p>

Smashing Pumpkins</p>

The Arctic Monkeys (kinda)
        </p>--------------------------------------

Electronica:</p>

Hotel Costes compilations</p>

Thievery Corporation</p>

Groove Armada</p>

Tosca</p>

Gotan Project</p>

----------------------------------</p>

Unclassifiable (in my mind):
        </p>

Cesaria Evora</p>

Tory Amos (but not Regina Spektor)
        </p>

</p>

Leonard Cohen (but not Nick Caves)
        </p>

Tom Waits
        </p>
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• laika
          • Sep 2006

Hooray for Patrick Wolf.... I'm going to see him again tomorrow night, can't wait! [&lt;:o)]</p>

Faust...are you implying you don't like Nick Cave, because I find that hard to swallow. [^o)] I find his new mustache very menacing, in a funny sort of way.
          </p>

Have you listened to Bat for Lashes ( I know, I keep going on about it)? She's not quite Tori Amos-y, but more like a cross between Sinead and Bjork....gorgeous voice. I think you might like. [51]</p>

I am also eagerly anticipating Siouxsie's new album, as I quite like "Into a Swan."</p>
          ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• gusgusterson
            • Mar 2007

It would be interesting to see Patrick Wolf live. That Lychantrophy album is so nuts.
            </p>

Not for lack of trying, the only things that I've been really into in the past few years are:</p>

Pelican - Pelican EP</p>

Micah P Hinson - &amp; The Gospel of Progress LP</p>

I did like the Klaxon's cover of "The Bouncer". I was a little upset that NuRave has so little to do with late eighties UK rave and that there has not been an industrial revival.</p>

</p>

</p>

Comment

• tony
              • Sep 2007

an industrial revival wouldnt be bad... </p>

patrick wolf live? i would die for.. especially in young days, at the moment i´m just listening to Wolf, the Libertines and some electro minimal trash...</p>

by the way, does someone know who made the music for "requiem of a dream"? the music in this movie is huuuge....</p>

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                • Sep 2006

The soundtrack of Requiem for a Dream was composed by Clint Mansell (he was leader of the punk/electronic/experimental/britpop band Pop Will Eat Itself), who's been collaborating in all of Darren Aronofsky films. This one in particular has the collaboration of the Kronos Quartet doing the string parts.

Comment

• tony
                  • Sep 2007

Thanks a lot ! I´ve to get some of their stuff.</p>

Oh and not to forget, it´s a damn good movie.</p>

Comment

• Servo2000
                    • Oct 2006

The Requiem for a Dream soundtrack is by Clint Mansell. <DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Here's some various suggestions from various genres that I've been listening to recently, not necessarily stuff that's going to be all new or all old, just whatever. It's not all amazing, but is generally worth at least a listen. I'm not going to dig too deep so all this stuff should be fairly easily accessible on both filesharing and in record stores.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Industrial / New x No Wave Esque Bands</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Liars - They Were Wrong So We Drowned</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Not a new album by any means, but if you're looking for one of the best industrial albums made since the mid '90s you can do no better than this. Heavy Einsturzende Neubauten influences meets Liars typically odd sensibilities. Still my favorite album from the band, and one a lot of people seem to have skipped / missed, although I could be wrong.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Liars - Broken Witch (zshare since I had to upload this myself)</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>A Place to Bury Strangers - A Place To Bury Strangers</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>This is one people might have already heard of as Pitchfork gave them an 8.4 and I probably wouldn't have heard them otherwise myself, but it generally sounds like an intriguing bastardization of circa-1980s industrial beats / The Cure meets My Bloody Valentine x Pyschocandy. Hard to go wrong with that sort of lineage. I like a band who smashes my face in and still shoves through some beautiful melodies. </DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>A Place to Bury Strangers - She Dies</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>The whole album is practically available on Hypemachine if you're interested in hearing more.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Adult - Gimmie Trouble / Why Bother?</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Great band. They call themselves dance punk, and it's definitely less dance and more punk. Heavy-hitting synthesizers, seemingly influenced by Bauhaus in imagery and direction. Skittery and paranoid.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Adult. - Strange Mistakes</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>On a side note, this Unkle track that I just found has a Trent Reznor-ey sort of feel to it: Unkle - Burn My Shadow. From the new album.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Alec Empire - Intelligience and Sacrifice</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I'm not sure what elements of Nine Inch Nails you like, but if it's the really aggressive industrial elements you can do no better than Digital Hardcore Recording's Alec Empire. Not an artist I'm a real fan of, but this is definitely thrash-industrial at it's best (Atari Teenage Riot's alright as well). </DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Rock / Noisey</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Neptune - Patterns</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Considered one of the best bands on the east coast, they play entirely custom-built instruments. Highly abrasive rock with ties to the noise scene. This is a great track, and even better live.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Neptune - The Lighthouse</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Aa (Big A Little A)</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>No coincidence that these guys played with Neptune recently, seeing the two of them live really solidified them for me. Highly percussive band, something like four drummers. This, to me, is the sound of any big city in all it's glory and shame. No surprise that they're from Brooklyn. Driving rythms, shouting and synthesizers.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Aa - Thirteen</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Electro / Hip - Hop</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Gouseion</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Huge drums, huge synths and 8-bit influences. His own album is good but, in my opinion, even better are his remixes and his mixtape. Some of the best cross-over work between electro and hip-hop that I've yet to hear. Spank Rock comes close at times, but unless somebody has heard something I haven't this still takes it for me.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Gouseion - U &amp; ME RMX</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Gouseion - MIXTAPE VOL i </DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>More stuff from him on a Discodust post here.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Lucida Grande; font-size: 11px;">Spank Rock &amp; Benny Blanco are Bangers and Cas</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Lucida Grande; font-size: 11px;"><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Lucida Grande; font-size: 11px;">Speaking of Spank Rock, I only just around to listening to these Bangers and Cash tracks. Again, excellent electro-hip-hop work. Two good songs here, B.O.O.T.A.Y. featuring Santogold (friends with M.I.A. and possibly just about as good) and Loose because it's huge.</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Lucida Grande; font-size: 11px;"><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN class="Apple-style-span" style="font-family: Lucida Grande; font-size: 11px;">Bangers and Cash - Loose feat. Amanda Blank</SPAN></SPAN></DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Bangers and Cash - B.O.O.T.A.Y.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Dalek</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Some of the darkest, noisiest and heaviest hip-hop you'll ever heard. Practically transcends the genre. Really fantastic stuff.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Dalek - Distorted Prose</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>GZA / Genius - Liquid Swords</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Dalek reminds me a little bit of this release, arguably the best solo release from any Wu-Tang member (hard to compare to any of Ghostface's stuff, though). Great lyrics, interesting production work. </DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>[b]GZA / Genius - Living in the World Today</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>GZA / Genius - Fourth Chamber</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>That's probably enough for now. If any links go down, let me know and I can host it personally. If anyone would like me to continue, let me know and I'll try and make a post in here every now and then. Anyway, enjoy.</DIV>

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

Thanks, Servo - I'll give your suggestions a spin. At one point I had an Atari Teenage Riot album, but it was too much random aggression and not much substance.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Servo2000
                        • Oct 2006

[quote user="Faust"]Thanks, Servo - I'll give your suggestions a spin. At one point I had an Atari Teenage Riot album, but it was too much random aggression and not much substance.
                        [/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>I agree. I figured you probably weren't to into that, but I tossed this in there just in case. I can get into this sort of thing at times, but if I am, I'm going to listen to something better than ATR.</DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Let me know if you like anything, that was sort of a scattershot post to see what sticks so I can probably get more consistent.</DIV>

Comment

• ddohnggo
                          • Oct 2006

holy shit, people outside of boston know about neptune?
                          Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

• Servo2000
                            • Oct 2006

[quote user="ddohnggo"]holy shit, people outside of boston know about neptune?
                            [/quote]<DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>Maybe a few. I heard about them from an east-coat noise obsessed friend of mine in Greece and from Icarus (from sufu), who lived in Boston. You guys have some good music. </DIV><DIV><BR class="khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>(is Magic Markers from Boston? I was talking to somebody about them the other day, seemed like a Boston band. Seem like a good band to see live)</DIV>

Comment

• ddohnggo
                              • Oct 2006

magik markers are from ct, but moved to nyc. i saw them once and they were pretty good.
                              Did you get and like the larger dick?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎