X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DHC
    • Jul 2007

DIY wishbone belt

OK, so I got my slim wishbone belt and decided to do a thicker version of it. The leather was awesome when I first cut it, but I guess I had stored it all wrong over the years because its starting to crack. The problem I'm having is the edges are getting chewed when I feed it through the slits. I guess I could put a fresh cut on it, but I would only be faced with the same problem again. I know the an obvious solution is to go get some new leather, but I really don't want to go purchasing more leather for the sake of DIYing another belt. Does anyone have any ideas on how to salvage the leather? Make it more pliable and resistant to the fraying of the edges when fed through the slits? Any help would be appreciated here. Pic below of it worn but you can see the problem with the edges. Thanks!

Originally posted by Faust
    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar
  • theRenaissance
    • Jan 2007

Re: DIY wishbone belt

Nice! If in any way you would to start producing them for a fee I will be interested! [66]

Comment

• Mirror&Rack
      • Sep 2007

I think that bonding or sealing the edges would work out. If you wanted to retain the distressing insofar, or make a new one, i would think saddle soap. Otherwise for another look, a leather paint or acrylic (depending on what you want time and use to do to the appearance) at the edges of contrasting color or matching tone could be applied. Just a couplaideas. There is this other stuff...you use it with flame....gotta ask my buddy, about it, i'll have to get back to you. hope that helps, cheers.

Comment

• DHC
        • Jul 2007

Hey Karim,

I'm interested in this "other stuff" that utilizes a flame. Is this some kind of technique or is it a specific product that requires a flame to seal the leather?

theRenaissance, I just might produce a couple more of these. Once the leather has been given a little love I will be tackling another belt design and may produce a couple more. [75]

Here is a picture of the belt after its first condition treatment. Its really looking much better and I should have condition prior to attaching the hardware. [:$] Lesson learned.

Sartorialoft

Comment

• nevermind
          • Sep 2007

looks nice dhc. does the wire hold/lock the belt in place? im not too sure how it works

Comment

• DHC
            • Jul 2007

Thanks nevermind. Yeah the prong locks the belt in place. I've tried it without a prong and the belt is held just fine without it. Really a brilliant design. Props to Sr. Amadei! The thing I've come to learn is that the tongue must be slicked and treated or it gets chewed. Its a learning process, which makes it a great deal of fun!

Sartorialoft

Comment

• Mirror&Rack
              • Sep 2007

I didn't forget about this, my friend (or not so good friend;) hasn't called me back.....i have been wondering the same for a boot i'm working on..... i should be in his town next week.....i'll be sure to let you know when i do find out.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

A little late... but awesome work Dave! I think even Zamb was working on this belt and couldn't get it to work out just right.

It's definitely a lovely piece that you've got created there. I'm tempted to try it myself. When I was in Germany I was sourcing leathers and although I found some good working leather, it was really expensive especially just to make one or two belts. Yikes!

Karim, you're making boots?! Can you tell us a little about shoemaking as it's something that has held a lot of allure for me and there seems to be little DIY information on them online.

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

A little late... but awesome work Dave! I think even Zamb was working on this belt and couldn't get it to work out just right.

It's definitely a lovely piece that you've got created there. I'm tempted to try it myself. When I was in Germany I was sourcing leathers and although I found some good working leather, it was really expensive especially just to make one or two belts. Yikes!

Karim, you're making boots?! Can you tell us a little about shoemaking as it's something that has held a lot of allure for me and there seems to be little DIY information on them online.

[/quote]

Yes Albert,

youre right,

I tried it and screwed up big time,

I have another piece of leather to do a new one but Hardly have time........

Dave the belt is awesome, i i were you id leave it as it is,

the aging/ Cracking of it is an interesting feature..........

Talk later
                  Zamb

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• DHC
                    • Jul 2007

Karim, thanks for keeping it in mind. I am still very curious to know about this stuff. So wow! Your making shoes. That's awesome. You must post pics when they are done. And please do give a breakdown of how your approaching what I consider to be a very ambitious task.

Thanks Albert and Zamb! Its very encouraging to hear kind words coming from you guys. Zamb, I think your right about leaving the leather as is. The texture
                    and color contrast the cracking provides gives it a bit of character.

Albert, I say give it a go. Yeah, leather can be pretty pricey which is why I'm trying to work with what I have exclusively. I do want to make and sell a couple so that I can raise funds towards the purchase of more leather. Anyone interested? Shoot me a PM. [75]

Oh, and I mentioned that I wanted to try making another belt. Here is the belt as it sits right now. This one is a bit trickier though I couldn't tell from just looking. I'll try to get better pics up soon.

Sartorialoft

Comment

• Mirror&Rack
                      • Sep 2007

Hola,
                      DHC and Chinorlz, yeah, LOL. don't expect much as of yet though, when it comes to the finished product. i am in my infancy when it comes to footwear and am struggling to grow and get these diapers off (reading and monkeysee technique only goes so far). i have nothing great to offer SZ as a whole, but hope to within the year. i have spent a good deal of time with designers and tailors (i'll throw up some pictures of some of my clothes soon), but i have yet to invest the time or find the proper cobblers to learn from. i have yet to hear back, i sent merz a msg a while back hoping to get a word in with his cobbler in LA.....

Comment

• DHC
                        • Jul 2007

Right on Karim! Looking forward to the post displaying your goodies. I'm going to send you a PM right now with the contact info for that cobbler Merz had mentioned elsewhere. Thanks again Merz!

Sartorialoft

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎