X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • diamonds
    • Dec 2006

Boiling Wool Garments?

If anyone has any info or guidance on how to boil wool pants/jackets to get the same effect as Junya Watanabe or Yohji Yamamoto... I'm not sure which, it could be both actually... I have a pair of wool pants that I want to boil up and shrink, they might be too big to through into a pot but I might be able to manage, would a hot cycle in the washing machine do the same, though I think that a hot wash would probably have some major pilling and I'd love to avoid that.

Some of the things I've read on the internet lead me to believe you need a certain type of wool that is designed to be shrunk... I kind of hope that's not the case, but whateva.

Any info would be awesome, thanks!
  • whatisit
    • Dec 2007

Re: Boiling Wool Garments?

I don't know if this link will be any help... most things pertaining to messing around with wool seem to be geared towards Christmas ornaments and American flag purses... hah http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/articles/fulling.shtml

Comment

• Johnny
      • Sep 2006

I have tried just boiling wool to shrink it and believe me it does not work! I did it with closely woven wool jersey and think htat may be the problem. there's nowhere really for the wool to go, if you see what I mean. I think that the fabric has to be loosely woven so that it can gather together, so i do think that the nature of the fabric is important. it is possible though. I once shrunk a jumper by mistake by leaving it in the dryer and it came out absolutely tiny. i put it on a teddy bear.

Comment

• RADO
        • Nov 2007

I do believe that boiled wool garments have been manufactured with a boiled wool fabric. If you try to do it once having the garment already constructed it shrinks and becomes tiny. However if you want to try, use something you do not care about at first?.

Comment

• RADO
          • Nov 2007

By the way, a teddy bear as Johnny stated it would be too much? but if you have a dog it would work.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="RADO"]

I do believe that boiled wool garments have been manufactured with a boiled wool fabric. If you try to do it once having the garment already constructed it shrinks and becomes tiny. However if you want to try, use something you do not care about at first?.

[/quote]

That was my impression as well. That's why it also adds to the cost.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• DHC
              • Jul 2007

[quote user="Johnny"]I have tried just boiling wool to shrink it and believe me it does not work! I did it with closely woven wool jersey and think htat may be the problem. there's nowhere really for the wool to go, if you see what I mean. I think that the fabric has to be loosely woven so that it can gather together, so i do think that the nature of the fabric is important. it is possible though. I once shrunk a jumper by mistake by leaving it in the dryer and it came out absolutely tiny. i put it on a teddy bear.[/quote]

I second that. I've tried boiling wool as well and nothing. I would think that the tighter it is woven, the better. Stands to reason that it would minimize the shrinking, for the same reason you mentioned (the wool has nowhere to go) and thus allow for the felting process to take effect without compromising the overall size of the piece too much. If I had a tightly woven wool sweater or something to sacrifice, I'd give it a go.

Originally posted by Faust
              fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Seventh
                • Dec 2006

Is boiled wool different than felting? (are you talking about a process that breaks down the knit structure?) I haphazardly played around with felting small knitted things a while ago with some success.

Comment

• diamonds
                  • Dec 2006

Thanks for all your replies.

At this point I assume it's sort of a lost cause but I might give it a try anyways, just to see the result. I paid 7 dollars for the pants and they don't fit (4 sizes too big) so if they shrink I'm not too worried, though I would really love for that wrinkled and wavy effect... I can post pictures of the process (when and if I do it) if anyone is interested.

Comment

• DHC
                    • Jul 2007

Thanks Merz. I figured it would have to be post-construction as you said. Jebus! Imagine the size of the articles prior to the process.
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• CHRIS
                      Banned
                      • Dec 2006

gap has boiled wool peacoats in like, 9 different colors right now.

kinda odd, considering the process sounds complicated (in addition to wasteful and costly -- as merz and faust have stated), and that 99.9% of the target market probably wouldnt realize any significance.

Comment

• clay
                        • Sep 2006

I think Gap's boiled wool is pre boiled and then made into a garment, as has been done forever in the garment industry. Not all that special.

Comment

• gius
                          • Nov 2007

hmm i'm still a bit confused here

are boiling wool and felting the same?
                          you use heat, agitation and soap at the same time

i guess in traditional felting, you will use raw fibre
                          so technically, if it is a woven fabric and you felt it, it's not "traditional felt"

anyway i'd love to see any pictures of the junya and yohji pieces you guys are talking about ... or at least, tell me which collections i can see them in

Comment

• Gatsu
                            • Jul 2015

So, do you just put the wool in a pot and boil it for a couple minutes?

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                              • Jan 2007

with most wool fabrics that doesn't do anything, presumably because they have been treated.
                              Originally posted by jogu
                              i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎