X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

MA+ Style Leather Arm Warmers

I've been thinking about the MA+ arm warmers for some time now after the Mens Style video with Nathalie from L'Eclaireur wearing them.

Simple and elegant, they wouldn't be too difficult to replicate after a little playing around using some muslin first.

Combined with that, I've fallen in love with what many other leatherworkers have deemed a junk leather component:

This is ostrich leg leather and the texture and look of it is just plain lovely. Current plan is to integrate this into the inner forearm/lower palm part of the leather arm warmers to be constructed. Not too overt but you'll see flashes of it when worn and you move your hands/arms.

The project should take about an afternoon. The only unfortunate thing is that the whole thing will have to be stitched by hand since I don't own an industrial strength sewing machine (a $75 Singer can only do so much....).

After this week of exams, I'll play around with some fabrics and gets some ideas simmering!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "
  • bellapietra1501
    • Sep 2006

Re: MA+ Style Leather Arm Warmers

sounds very interesting. i also bought some leather for my own diy works. hope yours turns out well. good luck. i will post some pics when i am finished. good luck!

Comment

• DHC
      • Jul 2007

Is that ostrich leg pelt something you've already picked up? If you give the arm warmers a go, I'd love to see the pattern you come up with for it.
      Originally posted by Faust
      fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

Not yet David... I'm just mulling it all over. The ostrich leg leather is pretty plentiful on ebay. I think that portion is on the stiff side though so there will have to be some leather stiffness matching (at least nothing TOO supple stitched to the stiffer leg leather). Aside from that, I may implement that "open" curved seam that MA+ uses on their leather jackets. It's a lovely concept.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• zamb
          • Nov 2006

Albert,

for $400 you can get a good, used industrial machine, ( i casn source one for you if you need me to)

I think its more than worth getting, with all the project you are and want to work on in the future.........

the leather is really nice though, lets see what you come up with.

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

Thanks Zamb!

I may take you up on that offer in the coming months... at the moment I need to focus on these exams hehehe

Comment

• DHC
              • Jul 2007

Zamb! Where have you been? We've been missing you on the board.

Albert, an industrial machine would probably be a good investment for you. You've got mad talent when it comes to recreating the great pieces we see in circulation. It'd be cool to see you bust out with an original. I'd wear an original AH proudly.

Originally posted by Faust
              fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

Hehe, thanks David :)

I will be working on some ideas this weekend. I have a pretty large swath of stretchy white t-shirt cotton along with this really lovely slightly felted dense wool that is medium weight that i can work with to create something. Also some muslin to figure out ideas in regards to the arm warmers.

Thinking about the arm warmers last night... they're most likely going to be very simple and clean on the back of the arm. Smooth calf leather with a single diagonal seam, meeting at the knife edge of the hand with the ostrich inner arm at a very subtle point. So when worn (under a coat or jacket), the ostrich is sort of a "surprise" that you get flashes of.

If/when i make some outerwear, i may incorporate some alligator leather into the center back. It's always caught my attention in the sense that a nice long strip of it would mimic vertebrae in a really cool way. It may not even be on the outside of the jacket, just something on the inside for one's own knowledge :)

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

[quote user="DHC"]

Zamb! Where have you been? We've been missing you on the board.

Albert, an industrial machine would probably be a good investment for you. You've got mad talent when it comes to recreating the great pieces we see in circulation. It'd be cool to see you bust out with an original. I'd wear an original AH proudly.

[/quote]

Ive been around David, was in Jamaica for a while,

just taking care of a lot of Family life issues, and planning (making clothes) for my wedding in July,

Dont worry, you will hear and see alot from me this year, especially the second half, I am trying to organize myself to take myelf out of design Hybernation .

this is a serious matter now, because i am thinking about drastic changes, like quitting my Job and going into business full time,i might need you all support.

We'll talk more about this another time

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎