• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

New Experiment...

So no photos just yet (sorry Zamb :) )

but I started work on an experimental piece for the little mini-capsule collection I want to do as my summer project (will launch a website for it and other sculptural/photog/furniture pieces I will do/have done this summer as well).

A brief rundown:

asymmetrical patchworked short sleeve shirt cut offset so the patchwork is angled 45 degrees from the vertical. Simple raw cuffs, hem and neckline.

I'll finish the upper neck with this new hanging style I came up with as well that I've taken a liking to (sort of like the pants hanging loops but built into the inner neckline... fully continuous with the rest of the shirt).

Going to be working with staining/treatment methods as well... for this first piece I'm going to work with irregular blood smear/dying. I love the coppery result from set-in blood and a full-on treatment will give the piece some textures that hopefully will be lovely!

For those pro-tailors out there.... any tips on cutting stretchy t-shirt fabric to ensure that patterns are dead on? It's very time consuming for me at the moment to cut out patterns with stretchy materials while making sure they're the exact specifications.

Novice question... I know [:$]

Thanks guys!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Re: New Experiment...

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

Going to be working with staining/treatment methods as well... for this first piece I'm going to work with irregular blood smear/dying. I love the coppery result from set-in blood and a full-on treatment will give the piece some textures that hopefully will be lovely!

[/quote]

Blood turns a fairly dull brown after not very long at all, and will wash out extremely quickly.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

I'm going to be using coagulated blood to smear/soak and then allow the whole thing to sun dry for a couple of days prior to washing, and then the wash will be a hot water (near boiling) wash to work the blood proteins into the cotton.

We'll see how it comes out :)

My idea situation would be to have irregular darker smears over a more uniform coppery/brownish/red background with extra thicknesses where the blood collected at seam edges.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• zamb
        • Nov 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

So no photos just yet (sorry Zamb :) )

but I started work on an experimental piece for the little mini-capsule collection I want to do as my summer project (will launch a website for it and other sculptural/photog/furniture pieces I will do/have done this summer as well).

A brief rundown:

asymmetrical patchworked short sleeve shirt cut offset so the patchwork is angled 45 degrees from the vertical. Simple raw cuffs, hem and neckline.

I'll finish the upper neck with this new hanging style I came up with as well that I've taken a liking to (sort of like the pants hanging loops but built into the inner neckline... fully continuous with the rest of the shirt).

For those pro-tailors out there.... any tips on cutting stretchy t-shirt fabric to ensure that patterns are dead on? It's very time consuming for me at the moment to cut out patterns with stretchy materials while making sure they're the exact specifications.

Novice question... I know [:$]

Thanks guys!

[/quote]

No worries albert,

you are quite credible with me, I know youll do it when you are able to. i just hate when some start threads and they keep describing the stuff and then say, they dont have time to post the pics.

IMHO if you can make a thread you should have time to post the images pertaining to it

“You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
        .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Who?
          • Aug 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

I'm going to be using coagulated blood to smear/soak and then allow the whole thing to sun dry for a couple of days prior to washing, and then the wash will be a hot water (near boiling) wash to work the blood proteins into the cotton.

We'll see how it comes out :)

My idea situation would be to have irregular darker smears over a more uniform coppery/brownish/red background with extra thicknesses where the blood collected at seam edges.

[/quote]

I love this idea Albert, I can't wait to see how your vision turns out. I am imaging something like this Matohu piece laika posted but with the base color you described.

WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• Chinorlz
            • Sep 2006

Who, that is almost EXACTLY what I had imagined... after I ran a couple experiments yesterday (ugh... you dn't even want to know what the smell was like when I came back home today) evening.

A quick rundown (no photos... people may throw up.):

- no blood available at the asian market so I bough the bloodiest thing I could find (kidneys)

- brought them home and thought perhaps the urea would actually help lock in any color... as it does when you do regular dye.

- pureed the kidneys

- took 3 scraps of white cotton t-shirt fabric and soaked them in the slurry

- after 30 minutes, removed one, dried it in the over at 200 degrees and then washed.

- exactly like theestruscan said, color went brown, and washed out about 70%

- left the two other scraps in the slurry overnight and through the day today in the kitchen.

- returned home at 7:30 pm to find the apartment absolutely smelling like the 4th level of hell.

- see a trail of ants running from the kitchen electrical outlet to the scrap from yesterday I left to dry in the sink

- see that the covered kidney-slurry has now taken on a green color and when the lid was lifted I almost passed out (so all the stench in the house was from the lid ON)

- managed to fish one piece out and put it in the sink

- threw everything else out quickly

- rinsed the one piece

- almost the same as yesterday. Slight asymmetry to the blood patterning but after a single wash... will likely take on a dirty-brown color.

I'm going to research asymmetric controlled dyeing a bit more online throughout the week.... For a good amount of the stuff I want colored (that isn't already pre-dyed fabric) I will be doing some vat-dying to lay down a base color and either painting the overdye on or silkscreening it...

a work in progress. I'll have photos this week of the pieces and pattern sketches for the current shirt! Promise!!!

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Kidneys have been bled usually. What you see in them is (I've not got your medical experience, but talked to butchers) some kind of protein in a liquid form. You really need to work with blood, kidneys are full of all kinds of waste (as you know) and the red liquid is mostly not blood anyway, it's protein. Some states have made it illegal to sell blood. Tennessee (where I currently reside) is one of them, Texas may be another. Some permit it. You may need to slaughter your own pig.

If you get more kidneys and taste the liquid they are usually packed in you will see that it's not blood. What you packed your shirts in is rotting meat.

Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

mmmmm :)

hahaha. Well, my theory was that the kidney is one of the most vascular organs in the body (theres also liver and spleen.... but kidneys were $1.50 a bag). Blood at asian stores is sold in pre-coagulated cakes which I could possibly have worked with but i wasn't sure... and there weren't any to be bought in Texas possibly for the reason you stated (shit was aplenty in Boston hahaha).

No need to kill extra animals for this experiment. It was but a test. I'm comfortable with vat dying and just need to teach myself the basics of silkscreening and everything'll be golden.

Ah yes... the rotting meat... at least my apt. is aired out now. That was a moderately entertaining (literal) foul up.

hahahahaha

Comment

• Kodak
                  • Oct 2006

I'm pretty interested in seeing your experiment Mr. Lecter[83]

Comment

• theetruscan
                    • Jan 2008

[quote user="Chinorlz"]

No need to kill extra animals for this experiment.

[/quote]

I never considered that . . . well, not really. But it makes a great excuse. Kill a pig, make boudin noir with 20 of your good friends, bleed out the rest of the blood, butcher, throw a giant pig roast.

You do live in texas . . .

Comment

• Chinorlz
                      • Sep 2006

[86]

Tempting... but to do 5-10 items it'd have to be a small herd of the little guys hahahaha

Anyways, this experimental dye method is done... time to look into something different.

Comment

• Who?
                        • Aug 2007

[74]

Albert that story reminds me of when I let a buddy cook burgers at my place. I left him the keys so he could grill while I went home for the weekend. I came back to a very similar foul situation, he had left a 1/2 pound of beef on the counter. I have never been so close to vomiting because of a smell. Anyway the garment that laika posted utilized iron that had been oxidized to achieve the rust color, maybe you could give that a try or a different metal like copper, the green might look interesting.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

Hmmmmm Iron Oxide powder turned into a paste of different consistencies and applied to fabric may possibly work.

Thanks Who! Another direction to think this stuff through!

Yes... thank god the smell is now gone hahahaha. Man! Rancid!

And that's saying a lot because I've smelled/seen decomposing people during my times at the medical examiners office.

Comment

• Who?
                            • Aug 2007

[quote user="Chinorlz"]And that's saying a lot because I've smelled/seen decomposing people during my times at the medical examiners office.[/quote]

hahaha I spent some time there as well. Not for me, I decided on optometry.[:O]

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

hahaha, yeah my time at the ME's was because I was interested in forensic pathology but... I like something with more finesse and so I'm back to my #1: surgery.

Optometry! Nice!! How far along are you in your training?

My girlfriend had a good laugh about the blood/kidney dye fiasco hahahaha

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎