• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinoy
    • Dec 2006

Dyeing Tees

Hi folks?

I've been frustrated with finding the perfect tees with the right colors and fit. Closest I've found is Rick? colors are definitely spot on but they're way too long on me. I'm also really feeling the MA+ shirts in terms of construction, but I'd prefer more interesting colors.

In any case? does anyone know how difficult it would be to purchase blank white tees from American Apparel and dye them to achieve similar colors as RO does (ie. darkshadow, dust, pearl, etc)? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction? :)

Once I've got that down, perhaps I'll try experimenting with making my own tees? probably end up purchasing a LUC tee to use as a baseline.

Thanks so much!

• Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Re: Dyeing Tees

I got a starting point on both fronts for you Daniel :)

For tees, contact Chim on here. He can score you AA tees at wholesale prices. No need to pay $20-25 a pop for those bad boys!

For dyes... http://www.dharmatrading.com/

they have dyes as well as how-to's for you right there!

To get that LUC style... what Luca does a lot is either base/vat dyes his knits (or uses predyed thread) and then he silkscreens an overlay on it.

Let me know if I can be of more help!

A

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Pinoy
      • Dec 2006

Thanks for your help, Albert! I'll definitely look into dharma for dyes. As for the LUC tee? I was talking more along the lines of cutting and sewing a tee vs creating that inside out silkscreen. :)

It's going to be a challenge though! Gonna have to ask some friends to help me figure out how to do the curving arm seams, etc

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

ah the curving arm seams...

I've been working on that for a couple of days now in my own patterns. What I've figured out is this:

if you want a straight "curved" seam that runs down the arm a la MA+/Linea then it's not too difficult. Create your sleeve pattern, tape it side by side, cut your seam line into the pattern and take that extra piece and tape it to the opposite side of the pattern. Now you have a single pattern piece that looks all odd but when stitched down that single seam will have a lovely single curving seam.

What i'm working on is a more organic sort of seaming where it actually does a true curve and it'll utilize the same sort of pattern creation technique.

Hope that helps man!

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Kancil
          • Mar 2008

I'd be interested in learning what you find out about the dyes, especially the naturals. Please keep us posted. Sounds like a move in the right direction.

Comment

• Pinoy
            • Dec 2006

^^ based on my current workload at school, i don't think i'll have time to properly start this project till the first or second week of May. I'll definitely keep this thread updated, though!

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎