• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

eBay ordered to pay LVMH ?40 million

Court orders eBay to payLVMH

The decision thrusts France, the home of many prominent luxury houses, further into the forefront in the battle against brandpiracy.

Legal experts were surprised by the amount of damages awarded, the equivalent of $60.9 million, and said the ruling could have repercussions outside France, encouraging fashion brands to pursue new lawsuits against eBay or other Internetcompanies.

"It's quite unusual," said Patrice de Candé, a lawyer specializing in intellectual property issues in Paris who represented LVMH in its effort to challenge the search engine Google for posting advertising of counterfeit LVMH products. "I've never seen such an amount of damages in French law in my 23-yearcareer."

From its offices in Paris, LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton cast its legal victory as an "important step in protecting brands and products from parasitic practices" and praised the court for "a precious contribution to protect creative works that are important to our nationalheritage.

But eBay pledged to appeal the ruling, which allocates damages to a number of brands in the stable of the LVMH, which is headed by its chairman, Bernard Arnault, including the leather goods maker Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior couture and four perfumemakers.

It was the second ruling of its kind that eBay has lost this year in France. Hermès International in Paris successfully sued eBay over fake bags that had been soldonline.

In that case, another French court fined eBay ?20,000, or $31,600, in June for not properly vetting thesales.

In the LVMH case, the court also threatened to impose a fine against eBay of ?50,000 day if it failed to stop the advertising of fakegoods.

Sravanthi Agrawal, a spokeswoman for eBay's European corporate division, cast the battle in far different terms than LVMH, which argues that it loses millions of euros a year to fakeproducts.

She argued that the luxury goods leader is trying to stifle the sales of individuals who simply want to sell their mothers' used Louis Vuitton bagsonline.

"We are getting a clear sense from the owners and manufacturers that the problem is not counterfeiting," she said Monday from eBay's offices in Paris. The bigger issue, she contended, is one of control, because eBay is not one of the manufacturers' authorized distributionoutlets.

LVMH argued that 90 percent of the designer goods sold on eBay were fakes, but Agrawal said the company had made great strides in improving its anticounterfeiting measures, removing more than two million sellers who had violated the trademarks of rightsholders.

Ebay has faced similar lawsuits in other countries, including a pending case pressed by Tiffany & Co. in New York and another lawsuit pursued successfully by Rolex in Germany, over a breach of its intellectual propertyrights.

But France has proved to be particularly welcoming to brand owners on this issue, with challengers ranging from small online travel companies to the cosmetics manufacturer L'Oréal. LVMH has been one of the most aggressive litigators against Internet companies, previously winning a ruling against Google for permitting ads promoting Web sites selling fake LVMHgoods.

LVMH employs investigators who troll the Internet in search of violations, and the company sends regular alerts to eBay. But the court agreed with its view that eBay bears responsibility for filtering the system and demanding assurances ofauthenticity.

Ebay is also appealing the judgment in the Hermès case, issued by a court inReims.

"France has been at the forefront in the fight of counterfeiting through the Internet," said Fabio Angelini, a lawyer in Rome specializing in intellectual propertyissues.

Since 1994, French authorities have sought to root out brand counterfeiting through legislation that makes it criminal to buy and sell fake goods. For, example, tourists entering France could technically have their fake Louis Vuitton bags confiscated at the border by customsagents.

Jeff Hardy, coordinator of an anticounterfeiting campaign called BASCAP, which is run by the International Chamber of Commerce, said the French court ruling could influence other companies to follow the lead ofLVMH.

"It will have enormous impact," he said. "The Internet is introducing new technologies and new marketplaces and new market actors that didn't exist before. I think this is the beginning of establishing new rules that will keep up with these evolving technologies andmarketplaces."

Bruce Sunstein, a Boston attorney specializing in intellectual property issues, said that courts in the United States had found that eBay had a requirement, under trademark law, to remove counterfeit products. But the French are raising the bar by seeking "to impose an obligation on the auction site to vet an offer to sell goods before the offer is posted on thesite."

"If the French ruling stands," he added, "then it may provide some incentive for a U.S. court to reach a similarconclusion."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/06/...iness/lvmh.php

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG
  • sbw4224
    • Sep 2006

Re: eBay ordered to pay LVMH ?40 million

I have no love for LVMH, but I really hate eBay, so I'm pretty satisfied with the ruling. I heard on NPR that eBay has over 2,000 employees working in their anti-counterfeiting operation which seems a bit suspect considering the amount of fakes still on their website. I can only assume eBay will be hurt by this ruling for two reasons: 1. The obvious penalty, and more importantly 2. The loss of future income from the fees generated by these counterfeiters' accounts.

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Meh, too late. Everey LVMH bag looks like a fake to me anyway [86] I doubt that a US court will do the same - the French simply love fining American companies [85]
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Yan
        • Mar 2008

I was trying to sell a couple of Dior Homme items on ebay and they removed them because they said they were fake. After a week of exchanging emails I offered to send the items to them for them to verify but they said they couldnt do that. Complete impasse. I too hate ebay and I applaud the decision to fine them. Pity it wasnt ?400 million euros.

Comment

• huskiesonice
          • Mar 2008

eBay's priorities have always been crystal clear and rigorously adhered to; 1) Make money for eBay 2) All other considerations.

I had a seller absolutely cold for selling fake jeans, letter from the manufacturer and all, it was a completely clearcut case. I got my money back, the seller was back selling more fake goods, still using his original eBay nickname, within a few months.

eBay 'suspended' him for 10 weeks or something like that and then let him carry on. Their anti counterfeit drive is a shambles and one of the most fake things on eBay! If torrent sites are taken down for promoting copyright infringement it stands to reason that eBay should be culpable if fakes are sold on their site.

Nail them I say.

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

I agree, their counterfeit operations are ridicilous. they manage to remove a few random listings here and there out of which half are probably authentic.

on the other hand, when you try to report a seller it results in nothing. I've tested it a couple of times, I reported about 20 items from a single seller that were all blatant fakes. a couple of them dissapeared, the rest stayed. after a week, I reported another 20 or so different items from this same seller with noresult.I also filed a separate report, not on the items, but manually on the seller describing that everything this user is selling is fake. I did this 3 times, and I'm pretty sure the same seller is still selling the shit there.

reporting anything is hard as hell, andwhen you manage to do it theres no result. user reports hold absolutely zero value for them, and this also carries over to rest of their customer service. burn ebay, burn.

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• sam_tem
              • Apr 2007

this is good news. it's amazing how much people hate ebay. i've never sold anything on there because i've always been too lazy but i think it's also been partly because i don't want to have to put up with their crap.

i dream of a day when ebay is having to desperately fight off a hostile takeover bid from amazon.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

/\ i doubt that will happen. ebay has $6b more market cap. if anything, it will be a merger. both have superbrand image behind them. at least amazon has started to finally make money, where ebay has made money since day 1. i haven't looked at fundamentals close enough, but i'd wager ebay has more cash than they know what to do with (why the hell they bought skype, i still don't know).

But google must get into the fucking game!!! They must be working on something - they are the only one who can take Ebay on, and they have plenty of customers begging them to do just that.

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Round 2 [:O]

Published: Friday, July 11, 2008

Paris Court Affirms Decision Blocking LVMH Beauty Sales on eBay

PARIS ?
                  Paris? court of appeal on Friday ordered eBay to stop selling all LVMH
                  Moet Hennessey Louis Vuitton-owned fragrances and cosmetics on the
                  French version of its online auction site, upholding a ruling handed
                  down by Paris? commercial court on June 30.

While eBay?s appeal
                  process against fines of almost 40 million euros, or $63.2 million, for
                  allegedly selling counterfeit goods is ongoing, it had requested an
                  urgent hearing contesting the court?s order to stop selling genuine
                  products from Parfums Christian Dior, Kenzo Parfums, Guerlain and
                  Parfums Givenchy or face a daily fine of 50,000 euros, or $79,000.

LVMH claims its beauty brands can be sold only in the selective distribution doors chosen by the company.

The
                  court of appeal confirmed the injunction and fine, and ordered eBay to
                  pay an additional 10,000 euros, or $15,736 at current exchange, in
                  legal costs.

For more, see Monday's WWD.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎