• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Deutscheland

Since we have so many German members and those who've lived there (Albert) and those who live there now (Komakino), I thought I'd ask you some questions. I am pretty sure I will be in Germany in the beginning of October. I want to spend most of the time in Berlin, but there are strong reasons to go to Munich for at least two days (Oktoberfest and free Bayern Munich tickets). I also have a choice of going to a Leonard Cohen concert in either cities - I may get free tix to that in Munich and/or face value at both (although it seems like going to a concert in Berlin would be more fun?). Questions - how long for a train or a car ride from Berlin to Munich? Is it worth renting a car or should we not bother and take the train (four people)? What do I need to know about Oktoberfest (except beer and sausages, and that everything is probably booked by now?). What's the best city to fly into? And, of course, where to stay (we are not fancy travelers)?TIA!
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • theaddict
    • Apr 2008

Re: Deutscheland

hmmm,i would love to help but amnot an expert on the field of Oktoberfest. But i think rentinga car would be the better option if you are four people. A ticket with DeutscheBahn from Cologne to Berlin costs about 100Euro (one way) and i guess fromMuenchen to Berlin it should be at least 150Euro. That makes about 600Euro total for one way. A car rental with complete fuel for the way included should be much cheaper and you are more flexible too. And you can experience the fast Autobahn with no speed limit...If someone has other information, i am willing to learn...calling John!</P>

BTW,are there really so many german members here? I thought everyone is from NY...Just because of the trouble in the last times, german members were mentioned so often...</P>
    Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• rn28
      • Jun 2008

hi faust! as i am working in germany, düsseldorf to be exact, ill try to give you some infos. to drive from berlin to munich by car will take you about 5 and a half hours, almost the same as going by train. i would check www.airberlin.com to book yourself a cheap flight from berlin to munich. for an accommodation in berlin, check www.berlin.de/english/accommodation/index.html. hope this helps you!

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

These guys seem to have it covered for the most part Faust :)</P>

If this is the first time for all of you in Germany, a trip on the DB is kinda fun. We all travel on trains so rarely in the US that it's a nice experience and you get to see the massive major stations the trains pull into. Plus, there's a cabin where you can get snacks and drinks too while you're traveling and the sights on the way are often very nice. The German countryside is lovely. Die Bahn has a nice english website: </P>

http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml</P>

also look into getting the 25 or 50% off tickets (sparpreis) as I often did that when traveling to hamburg/frankfurt. You'll end up spending something like 60-70 euro per person round trip as long as you plan accordingly. Not sure if it is still in effect but there was this special deal with 4-6 people where you get a group ticket and train usage was unlimited for a day or for a weekend. I can't remember... the only downside is that you couldn't use it on the ICE so it took a bit longer.</P>

As for hotels in Berlin, I HIGHLY recommend Hotel Q (http://www.loock-hotels.com/hotelq/). I stayed one night with my girlfriend when we were in town for her birthday and the rate's are too bad for the seriously cool accommodations (around 100 euro a night). Probably the coolest hotel I've ever stayed in. It's pretty much on Ku'damm and walking distance to the Zoologischer Garten station which is the major station on the west side of Berlin. If that's on the higher end for you guys there are lots and lots of options in the same area. You can do international chains or right at the Zoo Garten stop there are hostels as well that are extremely inexpensive. Hostels are scattered throughout the city and cluster around the major attraction sites so they are very affordable options as well.</P>

If you want to be closer to Darklands over in Mitte then check for hotels over at Alexanderplatz and be sure to pay a quick visit to the Kaufhof there (you can't miss it). The meat/cheese/bakery section will make you drool uncontrollably.</P>

Wish I had some info on Munich and Frankfurt etc, but I don't know enough :( I'm sure TheAddict and John (when he gets internet back on as he's on his way to Berlin and getting settled in now) have loads to tell you!</P>
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Oh yeah, as for flying it all depends. Tickets can be pretty reasonable for both Frankfurt as well as Tegel in Berlin :)

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

[quote user="rn28"]hi faust! as i am working in germany, düsseldorf to be exact, ill try to give you some infos. to drive from berlin to munich by car will take you about 5 and a half hours, almost the same as going by train. i would check www.airberlin.com to book yourself a cheap flight from berlin to munich. for an accommodation in berlin, check www.berlin.de/english/accommodation/index.html. hope this helps you!
            [/quote]</p>

Holy shit, their flights from jfk to berlin are cheap! is it a crap airline? will i regret booking a long flight with them?</p>
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

[quote user="Chinorlz"]Oh yeah, as for flying it all depends. Tickets can be pretty reasonable for both Frankfurt as well as Tegel in Berlin :)[/quote]</p>

Thanks. Oh, and good job on the Hotel Q link - nothing like looking at a pair of lesbians (or is it boy/girl?) on a work computer. [Y]</p>

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Chinorlz
                • Sep 2006

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="Chinorlz"]Oh yeah, as for flying it all depends. Tickets can be pretty reasonable for both Frankfurt as well as Tegel in Berlin :)[/quote]</P>

Thanks. Oh, and good job on the Hotel Q link - nothing like looking at a pair of lesbians (or is it boy/girl?) on a work computer. [Y]</P>

[/quote]</P>
                <P mce_keep="true"></P>

aaahahaha. I totally forgot about that [:$]</P>

Comment

• JohnFG
                  • May 2007

Re: Deutschland

Faust:</p>

(1) flights with airberlin => they are good/ok, but you should only use them within Germany: NO long oversea flights pls. Rather go for LH or BA.</p>

(2) travelling to/within Germany => Munich-Berlin-Cologne-Frankfurt would be the best route.</p>

So you fly into Munich and go back from Frankfurt.</p>

Within Germany the quickest and cheapest is flying with airberlin or germanwings.</p>

But Albert is right: taking the DeutscheBundesbahn is a very nice experience.</p>

So it really depends on what you are looking for: quick tavel vs fun travel.</p>

You don't want to drive from Berlin to Munich or the other way around ... even with some parts of the Autobahn having no speed limits (most of them have them)!</p>

(3) Hotel in Berlin: Q is the one (yes Albert!) and close to the Kuhdamm. The other one (I will stay in for a few days before our new home is ready) is in Mitte (close the Darklands) and is called LUX 11. It is a very modern apartment hotel with good value/price ratio: you will like it!</p>

That's it for now...have to go back and pack my stuff for the move to Berlin.</p>

Happy to help, book, arrange, meet ... when I've settled in Berlin end of August.</p>

Just give me a call/e-mail - PM is on its way :)</p>

JF </p>

Comment

• Chinorlz
                    • Sep 2006

Almost forgot about this one:</P>

http://www.luise-berlin.com/en/</P>

The Kunst Hotel. Each room is a different theme... interesting at least.</P>

Comment

• philip nod
                      • Aug 2007

for a real good time / view stay in park inn, the converted communist headquarters (i think). near lux 11 which was always full when i was there. </p>

i traveled to 5 cities over two weeks on the train and it was awesome. if you are a foreigner you can get a reduced rate which saved me close to 60% in first class. the (ex-gf [70]) was amazed at how cheap it was.
                      </p>
                      One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• philip nod
                        • Aug 2007

[quote user="Faust"]

[quote user="rn28"]hi faust! as i am working in germany, düsseldorf to be exact, ill try to give you some infos. to drive from berlin to munich by car will take you about 5 and a half hours, almost the same as going by train. i would check www.airberlin.com to book yourself a cheap flight from berlin to munich. for an accommodation in berlin, check www.berlin.de/english/accommodation/index.html. hope this helps you!
                        [/quote]</p>

Holy shit, their flights from jfk to berlin are cheap! is it a crap airline? will i regret booking a long flight with them?</p>

[/quote]</p>

are there any good airlines (for coach)?</p>

Comment

• Chinorlz
                          • Sep 2006

[quote user="philip nod"]

for a real good time / view stay in park inn, the converted communist headquarters (i think). near lux 11 which was always full when i was there. </P>

i traveled to 5 cities over two weeks on the train and it was awesome. if you are a foreigner you can get a reduced rate which saved me close to 60% in first class. the (ex-gf [70]) was amazed at how cheap it was.
                          </P>

[/quote]</P>

It's definitely a nice place. Didn't know it was an old commie HQ! My friend from NYU stayed there when he was in town and so I got to check it out. Good location fo sho.</P>
                          <P mce_keep="true"></P>

Comment

• philip nod
                            • Aug 2007

you can also gamble on the the 37th floor which is a really depressing experience. i blew a 100 euros in 20 minutes against wicked BJ dealers. there was a suit dress code but i beat the odds by bringing that "my best purchase" dior suit. nothing beats losing while looking sharp.

Comment

• rn28
                              • Jun 2008

airberlin is not a crappy airline, my brother used it a couple of times to fly to vancouver to visit his girlfriend (he normally flies with KLM, who surely have a better service and food on board) and he said that it was okay! They sell half the seats via airberlin, and the other half through lufthansa for a much higher price!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎