X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theetruscan
    • Jan 2008

Fashion and Style in movies

Where does this belong? I'm sitting here doing some bookkeeping and letterwriting watching "Survive Style 5+" (I dunno, it's a japanese movie, the title is gibberish) and the costumes on the main female character (the dead wife) are just fantastic. Is that personal style? Anyway, in this movie, the aesthetic is not at all SZ, but it's just fantastic. The movie is a surrealistic tour de force as well, but I'm curious where discussion of attire in movies belongs.
    Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.
  • mass
    • Sep 2006

asano's trenchcoat is pretty dope as well.

Comment

• theetruscan
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by mass View Post
      asano's trenchcoat is pretty dope as well.
      The faded one that looks like it must have been buried somewhere for at least 15 years, with the paisley prints on the lapels? I LOVE it.
      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

In the Mood for Love. Her dresses are amazing.
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• J_J
          • Apr 2008

polanski's The Tenant comes to mind. I loved Stella's 70's parisian girl vibe.

Comment

• airboyair
            • Oct 2006

The Matrix and Gattaca are two movies that left an impression on me after leaving the cinema.
            Helmut went to the ocean to gather his thoughts. Inspiration comes from retreat.

Comment

• Fade to Black
              • Sep 2008

Takeshi Kitano's Takeshi's is a stylish movie...while Yohji gets the credits for costume design, i am not sure if it was just the outfits of the "real" Takeshi or the other one as well - needless to say Beat-san wears the black jacket/white hawaiian collar shirt/black pants look to perfection.

I also think Frank Booth's style in Blue Velvet is very slick...epitome of a depraved rogue look; if i was a psychopathic criminal i'd want to dress like that.

While I think many of Wong Kar Wai's films tend to be a bit on the contrived side in terms of styling, i just watched Fallen Angels the other day and I think Leon Lai's hitman look was carried with an effortless ease. In Hong Kong, a lot of times the characters actors occupy appear much more stylish than the performer's real life look (Tony Leung in Infernal Affairs?)...and what I dig the most about it is, I think a lot of stuff the characters wear is very ordinary clothing that by itself most people wouldn't give a second look at, like stuff shopped for in Kowloon street markets or the like...since it is unlikely that kind of character would be shopping at Joyce much. What a disappointment when the celebrities end up stepping out in designer gear and come across as so much more bland.
              www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• droogist
                • Sep 2006

^ Definitely a look, although I would hesitate to call it stylish. But he's one of these guys who makes everything look good.

I would volunteer The Quick and the Dead. Yes, the Sharon Stone gunslinger flick.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by droogist View Post
                  ^ Definitely a look, although I would hesitate to call it stylish. But he's one of these guys who makes everything look good.

I would volunteer The Quick and the Dead. Yes, the Sharon Stone gunslinger flick.
                  Mmmm, Leonardo...

The Matrix and Gattaca for sure.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Jorge Hache
                    • Sep 2006

Takeshi Kitano's Dolls, is one really beautiful movie, the costumes are by Yohji (a frecuent Kitano's collaborator).

In a more playful way the costumes in The Fifth Element are amusing (all costumes design by Jean Paul Gaultier)

Comment

• Yan
                      • Mar 2008

Angel Heart was a seriously stylish film.

Comment

• AKA*NYC
                        • Nov 2007

Jude Law does Afghanistan

Watch breaking news videos, viral videos and original video clips on CNN.com.
                        LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by AKA*NYC View Post
                          Jude's just chillin'

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• guruguru
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                            While I think many of Wong Kar Wai's films tend to be a bit on the contrived side in terms of styling, i just watched Fallen Angels the other day and I think Leon Lai's hitman look was carried with an effortless ease.
                            Definitely agree with you about Leon. Michelle was stunning as the Agent too- those dresses!

Comment

• guruguru
                              • Apr 2008

speaking of WKW, how about Leslie Cheung in Days of Being Wild? talk about all-around style. and of course, the closing scene where Tony Leung is getting dressed is nothing less than epic.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎