X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m.inya
    • Feb 2008

Garment dyeing nylon jacket

So, I just won an Owens bomber on eBay for a good price...

Looks cool, but it's so white. I recently had great success dyeing a pair of old light green pants brown, so I thought I'd try giving this jacket the same treatment. Except it's nylon, so it's gonna be quite different. I've done a little bit of preliminary research on dyeing nylon and it seems you need to "acid dye" it at high heat. It seems like doing it in a very large pot on the stove is the best idea.

Simmering a fancy jacket in a giant pot on my stove does seem a little risky, though, so does anyone have any advice for me? Is there a good risk I'm going to harm the garment? (I imagine the nylon would be okay -- I'm mostly worried about the acetate cuffs...)

I plan on photographing each step ... we'll see how it turns out once I get it. (assuming I don't just decide to keep it white, that is...)
  • gerry
    • Feb 2008

I'm under the impression that because acid and a stopper are used to create nylon that using an acid dye will harm the jacket... Dyeing clothes made from true synthetics tends not to be a good idea.

Comment

• Chinorlz
      • Sep 2006

try reading up on them here and you can get the components as well:

www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• black horizons
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
        try reading up on them here and you can get the components as well:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3257-AA.shtml
        Just as a side note I've done a lot of ordering of art supplies from Dharma, and would recommend them.
        www.black-horizons.com

Comment

• baby
          • Aug 2008

Originally posted by m.inya View Post
          I've done a little bit of preliminary research on dyeing nylon and it seems you need to "acid dye" it at high heat. It seems like doing it in a very large pot on the stove is the best idea.

(assuming I don't just decide to keep it white, that is...)
          yeah from what ive read thats the method for knits aswell -- acid dye in a pot on the stove. anyone pulled that one off?
          Originally posted by pipcleo
          if i see a black man fall on the street i stop and help him up

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎