• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

cutting up Reek

I purchased this wool version of the Rick Owens scuba hood style jacket on sale, I loved it otherwise but had a problem with the hood. it was quite tight and heavily lined, so it made the collar super tight plus it barely fit on my giant head. figured that I'll either return it or modify it a bit. decided to go with the latter one, and I got rid of the hood. I'm sure someone will think of this as blasphemy, but its perfect for me now. I've been looking for a jacket with an assymetrical zipper or some sort of a fencing style cut, but most are either hard to find, too expensive or not good in other ways, so I'm very happy with how this came out.

I basically took apart the entire hood and collar, then made a new lining piece to replace the thick wool and pieced it all together by hand. took 3 evenings, but at least it looks nice

this is what it looked like:

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

yeah, those hood were pretty stupid so i like that you got rid of it, however, i think you should've followed the neckline all the way around instead of breaking it where the zipper closes up.

Comment

• lowrey
      ventiundici
      • Dec 2006

actually, I think it looks a bit off because of the angle and with the collar draping a bit - if you look at the front pic, it looks more leveled. I see what you mean though, it could've been a bit higher but its more comfortable this way
      "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

comfort comes first. *ccp-lovers please don't shoot me*

kudos for customizing high fashion items ^^

Comment

• theaddict
          • Apr 2008

indeed looks fantastic Mike!

Although i like the hood of my scuba, but on the other hand, yeah, its quite tight all zipped up.
          Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• lowrey
            ventiundici
            • Dec 2006

what material do you have? I wanted to get it in nylon but wasn't able to find it in my size. the wool is nice as a material, but the stiffness in particular made it a bit uncomfortable at the neck

Comment

• AKA*NYC
              • Nov 2007

i'd say that this is an improvement on the original. i love that zipper too but the hood never quite worked for my head when worn up and it still strikes me as too casual-looking when worn down. whereas without the hood the piece is completely elegant. remember when that guy was selling the drksdhw jeans with a separate button fly on sufu? maybe one day if you tire of this jacket you can sell it along with the detached hood.
              LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

Comment

• philip nod
                • Aug 2007

^+1
                also love the zip and cut of that jacket thought i would wear the hood exactly once in my lifetime, so its kind of like having a ballsack hanging on your back for no reason...i'm sure we'll see a version of this sooner or later from rick. tis the season for castration!!
                One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

• maldoror
                  • Jun 2007

fantastic work lowrey! all functionality aside, I think your modded version sans-hood is an aesthetic improvement on the original. the high neck just looks perfect.

also...

Originally posted by philip nod View Post
                  so its kind of like having a ballsack hanging on your back for no reason...i'm sure we'll see a version of this sooner or later from rick. tis the season for castration!!
                  Originally posted by kira View Post
                  New Challenge:

Collar

Green

Sheer

Pockets

Dangling

Comment

• lowrey
                    ventiundici
                    • Dec 2006

^

thanks, improvement from original was what I wanted to achieve so I'm glad to hear that.

I couldn't salvage the hood (used the excess material to line the collar), but did I save the fleece part? guess

Comment

• maldoror
                      • Jun 2007

^ahahah, holy shit that photo is GOLD. that needs to be on the splash page.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

props Arto!!

Looks a billion times better and I LOVE the neckline. Shit is sick.

good work my friend :)
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• ardeetee
                          • Apr 2007

absolutely awesome arto!
                          Last edited by ardeetee; 12-19-2008, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• Who?
                            • Aug 2007

Blasphemy! How dare you defile the great Dick Oven... j/k this is the jacket that I wished he would make, well done. Snag a cheap ro balaclava and sew the left over hood to it.
                            WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

• theaddict
                              • Apr 2008

I have the calf (yes i had the choice between and calf and lamb and i chose the calf...) leather version. It is indeed quite tight when zipping it up to the top. But it keeps me warm under the hood. and i dont think that it looks bad at all with the hood dangling around your back, admittedly quite casual, but that is what i expect from this jacket. And also admittedly not everyones taste...

hmmm, but maybe when i get tired of the hood i will try the same like you...haha..never know what happens, especially with the SZ influence and considering the fact that in the last time i am getting easily tired of stuff(although not as fast as misterpale)...you already started a thinking proces in me...damn,
                              Last edited by theaddict; 12-19-2008, 10:42 PM.
                              Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎