• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

finished: jacket/shirt and accessories

tought I'd share a few things I've been working on more or less recently:

finished this jacket/shirt today, I've been working on it on and off for the past month or so. I wanted to use a very big papa+ type approach, so the pattern was made from scratch by draping the fabric over myself (wouldn't mind a torso model...) and then slowly crafting it from there. I used this cotton I found that has a wool-like feel on the outside, regular jersey type on the inside. I wanted minimal seams, so the only ones visible are inward ones, edges etc. are finished with a heat applicable tape/glue I was experimenting with (can be seen a bit in the second pic). the hem and cuffs are raw mainly because I'm lazy but also because the fabric is suitable for it.

these armwarmers I made some time ago, they're made from a thick knit wool. fairly simple and easy, though the cut is sort of three dimensional to fit the hand nicely.

and also heres a ring I made, or rather finished. I bought a cheap cast silver ring, sand blew it and distressed it and then oxidized it to get a nice slightly yellow-ish tone to it. luckily I talked to Albert before I worked on this and was able to skip trying a few other methods for the oxidization, which wouldn't have looked as nice. so thanks for the tip

"AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

gorgeous. you're really really talented. I want every single piece.

Comment

• reborn
      • Aug 2008

How long is the thumb hole opening in the arm warmers? Is 2 inches (10cm) about the length?

I have a project for my tailor and I would like to provide some parameters for him.

And the shirt jacket looks amazing. Awesome job.

thanks.

Comment

• Chinorlz
        • Sep 2006

AWESOME Arto!!!

making your own pieces is a million times better and more rewarding than buying. I'm happy to see the results of the oxidization method :)

ps- I'll be sending you shots of all the Collateral pieces very soon. I'm constructing the leather jacket today and tomorrow ;)
        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Casius
          • Dec 2006

Looks great Arto! It fits you fantastic.
          "because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"

Comment

• swami
            • Jul 2008

All of it is lovely...Kudos!
            Are the sleeves part of the one piece as well with the only seams being under the arm and on the shoulder?
            IF so thats quite architectural...Impressive regardless.

Now all you need is a manicure

Comment

• lowrey
              ventiundici
              • Dec 2006

thx!

Originally posted by reborn View Post
              How long is the thumb hole opening in the arm warmers? Is 2 inches (10cm) about the length?
              I'd say 2in (5cm) is pretty good, +/- 1cm should work fine

Originally posted by Chinorlz View Post
              ps- I'll be sending you shots of all the Collateral pieces very soon. I'm constructing the leather jacket today and tomorrow ;)
              great, looking forward to it!

Originally posted by swami View Post
              All of it is lovely...Kudos!
              Are the sleeves part of the one piece as well with the only seams being under the arm and on the shoulder?
              IF so thats quite architectural...Impressive regardless.

Now all you need is a manicure
              sleeves are regular, ie full shoulder seam. I had enough trouble with the collar, couldn't have pulled of a single piece construction theres also a center seam in the back, was thinking about overlocking it but not sure yet.

haha, thats what I get for working without gloves. see fit pics for fresh cut
              "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

Comment

• Avantster
                ¤¤¤
                • Sep 2006

Just awesome, Arto! I like how the fabric looks and how it falls on you when worn open. Seams look very interesting, too.
                This could give the grandma+ crew something to think about.

Albert, let's see those Collateral pics!
                let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• laika
                  • Sep 2006

really beautiful, Mike. I love the the ring and the gloves especially. Well done!
                  ...I mean the ephemeral, the fugitive, the contingent, the half of art whose other half is the eternal and the immutable.

Comment

• crz
                    • Apr 2008

love the jacket!
                    are all these projects for yourself only, or are you thinking of making & selling?

Comment

• theaddict
                      • Apr 2008

wow the gloves are just stunning! The seam detail looks great!
                      Enviormental freaks, move away! My scarf will travel around the world and back!

Comment

• gerry
                        • Feb 2008

The jacket is awesome I'm not sure how to explain it but the cut of it feels really three dimensional... I love seeing what you make.

Comment

• lowrey
                          ventiundici
                          • Dec 2006

thanks all

Originally posted by crz View Post
                          love the jacket!
                          are all these projects for yourself only, or are you thinking of making & selling?
                          I've always wanted to make something sellable, but it'd be just too time consuming with clothing. maybe I'll sell the smaller things at some point

Comment

• hamham3002
                            • Sep 2008

this is an awesome looking jacket.. i'd like the jacket unzipped more, caus when zipped up, it looks a little plain... would be awesome if something was done to the edge of the opening flap.. but the little draping action near the neck area is a real nice touch and overclock stitching on the back would make it even more awesome
                            makes me wanna try something like this as well..
                            where do you find the material from? special stores that you order from?

Comment

• Who?
                              • Aug 2007

Dope. I love seeing these diy creations, especially when they are well executed like this. Makes me wish I had a sewing machine.
                              WTB/WTT: Lots of Things

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎