• Show
Clear All
  • curiouscharles
    • Jan 2008

where to [find] head in New York.

Okay.

I'm a hermit.

Always have been.

With my struggling theatre actor slash grumpy cook income I rarely have enough money to afford a rick owens double layer [used], much less flights to [oh so] exotic cultural epicenters such as New Yawk.

Luckily for us poor people, the economy sucks - meaning everything's cheaper!

I'm eating apples from January 7th to 14th - you know the city, what do I absolutely have to see, eat, or touch so that I can leave the city without traveler's remorse? (excluding clothing, and plays, i got those)

-
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

statue of liberty of course. :-)
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• curiouscharles
      • Jan 2008

actually?

-

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by curiouscharles View Post
        actually?
        serially! what are you into? food, drink, sports, music?
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• curiouscharles
          • Jan 2008

food, drink, music.

gimme at least one great suggestion to splurge on a fine meal.

then gimme all the goods on street food, ethnic stops, whatever you think shouldn't be missed really...

-

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Since you are on a budget, you should consider going to good places for lunch instead of dinner. Lunch at 11 Madison Park (going there tomorrow myself for my birthday) is $28 for two courses - (almost) same dinner will cost $70 or so. And of course you gots to have a real dive burger, so go to Corner bistro for that. If you want a pseudo-dive burger, but also good, go to the Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien. Other recommendations that won't break the bank - pasta at Bar Pitti, panini (and the heavenly truffled egg toast) at 'Ino, ramen at Ippudo, bahn-mi at Saigon Bakery, brunch at Tartine, falafel or shwarma (the latter can be hit or miss) at Mamoun's (the greenwhich village location, not the st. marks one).

For more stuff, there is a new york thread and what's going on in your town thread. I don't go to concerts much, but someone like Joey should help you out.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

momofuku ssam, duh.

Comment

• curiouscharles
                • Jan 2008

kewl, thnx faust.

can't believe i didn't even think of tartine.

i'm definitely ballin' on a budget on this trip, but i've saved up enough to ball for rillz at least once.

i'll check out them thredz you sedz.

-

Comment

• D_S
                  • Jul 2008

For the splurge my favorite eats in NYC are Bouley and PerSe, by far. No words. If you can take Bouley's stuffy interior and across the room acoustic transmissions, the food is to die for at make-your-choice baller level. PerSe is take-me-away baller level, couple times a year affair. If its your first trip to NYC both are worth it. If you dig Japanese at the take-me-away baller level, Masa is the best, period (east coast). If you frequent Japan you may be less impressed.

Jean Georges and Daniel are close but the times ive been the menu's havent quite stacked up to the above for the price. Although JG super-cheap brunch cant be beat for the morning budget baller.

If youre a seafood lover, Le Bernardin is great although the interior is a bit of an ethan-allenish strangle.

11 Madison is a good standby but the quality of the food and service is quite variable, if youve just got one splurge I wouldnt recommend it as your only stop. Last time I went was for my girls birthday (she loves the deco-casual interior), service was off and courses had to be sent back (not the first time at this establishment). Wasnt worth the 5 bills and it was the last time I went.

Wild card possibility would be Fleur de Sel. Almost everyone ive spoken with has loved it but my one and only experience (Valentines day around closing) was horrible. Shit service, food was bleh as a whole on the full tasting menu (except for the ravioli, goddamn). The only 2 things that make me mention it is that most of my friends have loved it and the Monday night half-price wine list is crucial. The wine list at this tiny place is fucking biblical. If you love wine, go on a Monday, share a few appetizers and drink drink drink. Of course your first glasses will be comp'd while the steeze filters down.

For less expensive meals my favorite stand bys are Cafe Bouloud, L'Impero, Lucien, Spice Market and Forino.

Cafe Bouloud is a great place, not cheap but not insanely expensive, a nice mix of country french and worldly seasonings. L'impero has a bit of a tacky interior (for me) but for the price is far and away the best Italian in the city. Owner and daughter are great people and if you look the least bit interesting you will probably meat both of them on your first and subsequent visits and recieve free drinks. The other three ive mentioned are a bit cheaper. Lucien is good mid-priced homestyle french comfort food. Extremely casual interior but great eats and a wonderful owner. Although, the last 3 times I was there the escargot supply changed and is not nearly to the old standard if you dig the snails. Spice Market is one of Jean Georges affairs but in my opinion the best of the newer restaurants. Great place to go when its warm and sit by one of the windows but winter is cool too, just make sure you specify an upstairs table. Mix of south-east asian, family style. Order many plates and share, its not too pricey. Forino is a pizza joint in williamsburg but one of my favorites :) A bit out of place in this list but somewhere I often stopped when I lived nearby. At that point, if you fancy a burger head down to DuMont for a fat piece of meat (or chick beans) and many drunken hipsters standing shoulder to shoulder.

NYC, worth the visit just for the food!

Comment

• Faust
                    kitsch killer
                    • Sep 2006

You don't like 11 Madison, but recommend Spice Market?!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• D_S
                      • Jul 2008

I placed them in separate categories :)

Spice Market is half the price and a good place to go out, just for the sake of going out for a first timer in NYC.

Ive only been for dinners but dont think ive ever left 11 Madison without spending 3 hundred+ and at that price there are definitely better places in NYC with consistently good food (many of which I mentioned above).

I never said I didnt like 11 Madison when its on point, its just seems to be off as much as on and for a person's first-time-in-NYC splurge I wouldnt recommend it.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                        • Sep 2008

Bungalow 8

i dont even know if that place is still cool or not, but if i just arrived in new york today (tonight) that would be the first place i go right after dropping my shit at the mercer
                        www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fade to Black View Post
                          Bungalow 8

i dont even know if that place is still cool or not, but if i just arrived in new york today (tonight) that would be the first place i go right after dropping my shit at the mercer
                          Hahahahaha

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

the funniest part is i'm not joking.
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• philip nod
                              • Aug 2007

its still cool, so i hear

and if you can get into beatrice inn, you're set.
                              One wonders where it will end, when everything has become gay.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎