• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

Marvie Lab

A little background info:
    Mariavittoria Sargentini was born in Perugia on 9th November 1976. She lives, studies and works Umbria, Sicily, Tuscany and Sardinia.
    After studying arts, philosophy, design and costume, she has worked as a style-assistant to Antonio Marras for two years and for Carpe Diem for three years.
    The developing of the Linea project for Maurizio Altieri marks the culmination of her educational development and the birth of her own brand, Marvie.

Her first project S+M+L was shown for the first time at the Pitti Rooms in 2007 and it awoke the interest of the press and public.
    In the same year, the S+M+L and T-shirt projects were presented at White Inside and won the White Inside Award.
    In 2008 she took part in the project C.L.A.S.S., using eco-sustainable materials, and shown her new project J2 at Pitti's and White's.

Some video for S+M+L
    Here
    Here
    In the S+M+L project the classic suit is revisited in size and volume by displacing the traditional cut and by mixing and matching each component (jacket_S+pants_L or jacket_M+skirt_S or jacket_L+pants_, etc...).
    This results in three substantially different dynamic interchageable silhouette.
    S_ is form-fitting: the seams rotate around the figure stretching it out. M_ is medium fit: the seams are in the front and follow the proportions of the figure. L_ is loose: the seams are on sides and extend the proportions.

Jersey
    The project Square Jersey, the two-dimensional play between material and shape is developed by using elastic fabrics made from natural fibres (PR milk protein and “lenpur” wood fibre);
    by utilising the geometrical square form, viewed as a container for the dimensions of a human body (70X70cm, 80X80com, 90X90cm, 65X65cm, 85X85cm, 105X105cm...).

"because the young are whores. dealers come to carol to get the rock"
  • Casius
    • Dec 2006

T-shirt
    In the T-shirt project the classical shirt has been simplified and made more comfortable by reducing its component parts and using poplin (typical for shirts) and jersey (used for t-shirts).
    In additon, the essential “T” shape of this shirt is developed exploiting futher the extra fabric between open arms and trunk (in a semicircle shape).

Sorry for the big pictures, I can edit them down if need be.

Comment

• pipcleo
      • Jan 2007

pure ikea-wear

Comment

• Jorge Hache
        • Sep 2006

Something is wrong when the pictures itself are way more interesting than the clothing pictured

Comment

• clay
          • Sep 2006

I don't see anything wrong with this stuff. I don't see the C-Diem reference either, other than a raw edge or special sizing....

Comment

• Casius
            • Dec 2006

This is honestly just a taste of her work. I think a lot of it is truly innovative and I for one like the fact she is making garments out of sustainable/eco friendly/what-have-you materials; I wish more designers would take that into account.
            Also, don't know how many watched the videos but they are exquisite. The women/men changing clothing around to show the differentiations in the fit and how it works for the different body types. Quite lovely I must say.

Comment

• Casius
              • Dec 2006

I like to think of it as in she's making something interchangeable and organic; Something that one wearer can pass on to the next and the beauty is still seen in the garment and it molds or becomes 'one' with the wearer (as cliche as that sounds).
              Here is another excerpt;

The Marvie's research laboratory projects are the result of a study in form and functionality.
              Individual projects are the fruit of the deconstruction and reorganisation of classic clothing items.
              These are developed around the perception of a human being as a person and his everyday mode of dress.
              “Conscious dressing” is perceived as an in-depth examination of the relationship and interaction between man (volume-personality) and dress (shape-material).
              Man is seen as a three-dimensional form, dress as a flat form.
              Dress is viewed as a varying element, man as a changeable form.
              From the interaction of these two parts, the body finds its way of dressing and the dress finds its own personality.
              A visual and sensorial experience is generated by minimal design constructions and natural material, wereable in all seasons.

So I think the organic/sustainable materials aid very well in her vision of the brand. I'm not saying it saves it, or makes it for that matter but I believe there to be a synergy there.

Also, I hope David comes in here to share what knowledge he has. :)

Comment

• DHC
                • Jul 2007

Diego posted this a while back in the Continues thread. I asked him to pull the post as she was in the process of many changes (still is). Thanks for accommodating the request Diego.

Anyways, the images shown are of her early work. She is really quite talented. She's currently working on a new project to surface under her label Marvielab and also working on introducing a new set of S+M+L, which I think is a great concept.

She has been working with the "no season" approach and did so long before Poell decided to go with it. This is a major reason that she has been overlooked. Stores are turned off by the concept of no season..."there has to be seasons" is something she hears all to frequently. Now with CCP doing it, I'm hopeful that more doors will open for this kind of approach to design.
                Originally posted by Faust
                fuck you, i don't have an attitude problem.

Sartorialoft

"She is very ninja, no?" ~Peter Jevnikar

Comment

• Casius
                  • Dec 2006

Originally posted by DHC View Post
                  Diego posted this a while back in the Continues thread. I asked him to pull the post. Thanks for accommodating the request Diego.
                  Should I not have posted this? :(

I was happy to see her website finally updated that I thought I would share the info.

Comment

• DHC
                    • Jul 2007

No, no. I'm glad you did Cas. She's ready to get the word out now, as she is just finishing up a new project and is working on revamping S+M+L. I was going to post up soon. And to prove that claim is true, you can find her on the designer page at Sartorialoft which I updated this morning.

Sartorialoft

Comment

• Casius
                      • Dec 2006

Ah sweet! Phew, well I'm glad to get the word out here and I'm sure some of her new works will pop up soon.
                      The S+M+L idea really is quite interesting. I'm intrigued to see how she evolves the idea.

Comment

• DHC
                        • Jul 2007

Yeah, I did an interview with her last year that kind of touches on S+M+L. Its a play on dimensions. She also did a project in Berlin with Altieri a couple years back called "The Batch". Ideas from that were re-introduced in Altieri's Avantindietro line. But that's another story. Anyways, she did some experimental pieces for me that are really quite fun. I actually got to introduce her to Chant, though I'm sure we were quite obnoxious by the time he got to my apartment as we were several of bottles of wine into the night..haha.

Sartorialoft

Comment

• Fuuma
                          • Sep 2006

I like this, it has a sort of conceptual Belgian sensibility that is a nice counterpart to continues rawness.
                          Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                          http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• Chinorlz
                            • Sep 2006

I can see the Linea influence/reference... remember the square cut long sleeve piece? Dead ringer for some of the first pics posted.

I like the concept and the approach, it's fun and young and isn't bogged down or overly complex. That being said, in these photos, the execution and final result is a bit disappointing and unflattering.

Love to see the evolution of her work though and what her approach to design has built into.

The SML idea and square cut concepts... are those derived from the top, middle, bottom concept and square cut pieces of Linea or were those theories and methods her contributions to Linea?
                            www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

oh and Merz, i spent maybe an hour last night trying to find me some Minke dork leather source or connection online but to absolutely no avail. I want some... and i want some BAD.

crazy ass materials are what I'm ALL about :)
                              www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎