X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KodakII
    • Sep 2008

Where are they now?

I wanted to make this thread for designers that seemed promising, but just simply faded away.

Andrew Groves He worked as Alexander Mcqueen's head assistant before launching his own line. He now works for Westminster College

Tracy Mulligan

I'll add more later, but feel free to add, comment or anything else that contribute.
  • kunk75
    Banned
    • May 2008

thierry mugler now spends his days lifting weights and gulping semen

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Great idea for a thread, kodak! It will be interesting to see some designers' trajectories.
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• KodakII
        • Sep 2008

From searching google, I learned that Tracy Mulligan designs a new line called Xterity http://www.xteritylondon.com/. Her earlier work was definately better, but I guess there are ok pieces in her collections now.

Comment

• clay
          • Sep 2006

Life happens. You gotta eat. I've been there. You don't even want to know where I work now to keep a roof over my head.

Comment

• the breaks
            • Sep 2007

Originally posted by clay View Post
            Life happens. You gotta eat. I've been there. You don't even want to know where I work now to keep a roof over my head.
            You're right, but thats mainly because I have no idea who you are.
            Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• Johnny
              • Sep 2006

good idea for a thread, instant thread derail. yawn.

some labels I used to buy years ago, that have vanished, wonder if anyone knows what happened:

Workers for Freedom, SO, Moholy Nagy (shirt label)

Comment

• KodakII
                • Sep 2008

Josephus Thimister he worked as the head designer of Balenciaga before N.G., the designer of Genny, and his own label. He was fired from Balenciaga because of the terrorist references in one the collections he presented and his choice of music. *If anyone has pics of that collection, could you post pics?* AFAIK he does not design anymore because of financial issues.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

One of my (and laika's and zam's) favorites! It was sad to see him stop designing. There is a thread on him buried in this subforum.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• droogist
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                    good idea for a thread, instant thread derail. yawn.

some labels I used to buy years ago, that have vanished, wonder if anyone knows what happened:

Workers for Freedom, SO, Moholy Nagy (shirt label)
                    The guy who designed SO, Alexander van Slobbe, now has a womens' line called Orson + Bodil. He also teaches fashion at the Arnhem Academy - fittingly enough (I mean, he makes decent-enough clothes, but he's never been that terribly creative, imo...).

Comment

• Johnny
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by droogist View Post
                      The guy who designed SO, Alexander van Slobbe, now has a womens' line called Orson + Bodil. He also teaches fashion at the Arnhem Academy - fittingly enough (I mean, he makes decent-enough clothes, but he's never been that terribly creative, imo...).
                      Thanks droogist, and, yes, nice to see you here.They used to sell this in a shop in Glasgow called The Warehouse, which really pioneered bringing the Japanese designers outside of London (and into Scotland in particular). It was a lot cheaper than comme, particularly, relatively speaking, when I was a student!

Comment

• droogist
                        • Sep 2006

Thanks guys. I poke my head in every now and again.

Any news, Johnny?

Comment

• zamb
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          One of my (and laika's and zam's) favorites! It was sad to see him stop designing. There is a thread on him buried in this subforum.
                          Yes Faust,
                          he was divine.......he even tried his hand at couture. I first stumbled on his work at Kirna Zabete on Greene street, dont want to talk about it to much aas I tend to become nostalgic. Fashion then seemed much more wonderful that it is now, there seemed to be unlimited possibilities then........................now i dont even now whats possible anymore, if anything.
                          “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                          .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• KodakII
                            • Sep 2008

Update: Josephus Thimister is actually showing in Paris during couture week. Are any of the SZ gang going?

interview from style.com
                            Josephus Thimister Has Nothing To Lose

December 9, 2009 2:14 pm

Nine years after shuttering his eponymous label, Josephus Thimister is returning as the founder, owner, and art director of his house. His much anticipated comeback—featuring couture and luxury ready-to-wear pieces for both women and men (a first)—is slated to take place during the Couture shows in January, when he will also be presenting a line of “young” furs for T.Paris.
                            The 47-year-old Dutch designer spoke with Style.com about the benefits of experience and why now, of all times, is the moment to “grow into a comeback.”

Where have you been all this time?

Well, I never wanted to come back because when you are your own backer, it’s a nightmare! In a way, I had to stop because my collection was produced by Genny and they wanted me to work just for them. It was a time when I had just lost my mother and my best friend. My label had enjoyed great press, but inside the structure it was a mess. So I took a sabbatical year and traveled to Brazil and Argentina, then suddenly three years had gone by. Then I started working for commercial brands, starting with Genny, and I found I loved it because I could make them better than they were. I designed the Andy Warhol collection (for markets outside the U.S.; it never hit the stores). Then I went to Charles Jourdan—the quality and craftsmanship were there, it could have worked so well had it not been for mismanagement—and I also consulted for Swarovski.

So what made you decide to start over?

Actually, it happened quite naturally. My intuition told me so. When I observed the fashion world over the last eight years, I saw a declining story. But recently I started to make clothes for my own pleasure, to show that I still have things to say and share. With experience, you know what to do and what not to do, and at the same time you’re much more free creatively. I am stronger now than I was ten years ago. And I was bored with seeing collections that have no soul, no feeling, no seduction—just a product on a hanger. I am not a bling-bling person. I miss Helmut Lang and the real Martin Margiela. Creation should balance out the financial side. It’s never been proven that a house can exist without a designer.

Which houses do you admire now?

Haider Ackermann is a great designer as well as a cool person. Bottega Veneta is a beautiful brand. Phoebe Philo is off to a great start at Celine. Proenza Schouler. So many other houses are about a carnival of accessories, and some people are copying too much—even my own dresses.

So how is this collection coming together?

Actually, this collection has been ready for two months! I poured all my savings into it. Now, we are working on the structure, financing, commercializing, and production. I called in people I worked with at Andy Warhol, Balenciaga, Genny—everyone sacrificed their summer vacation to come work with me. Now we are two in a studio on the Quai des Grands Augustins.

How is this collection different from past ones?

Thimister was very analytical, a very “shrink” thing about your life, your past, your family, your feelings, your universe. Now, I am much older and freer. There is no burden of youth. You adapt in life, but your soul remains the same. So in the beginning, this collection was much more art-connected. I considered showing it at the FIAC contemporary art fair in Paris, until the Chambre Syndicale invited me. It’s half ready-to-wear, half couture, half women’s and half men’s, and some unisex. My friends tell me it’s very Thimister.

What are its main themes?

There’s the military and Russian influence—1915 was a time of bloodshed and opulence, and I’m convinced that all of today’s problems are the conclusion of that period. My grandmother was a White Russian princess, a tremendously chic lady of great character. Also, recycling.
                            What kind of recycling?

I am recycling some of my favorite fabrics, like imperial satin and wool blends—I sourced a drap de laine [wool cloth] that was once used for officers’ uniforms. What I call the military part is not so much recycling as an evolution of Thimister as a ready-to-wear line, and the couture/creative lab part would be made in France.

Do you have a muse?

I hate that question! How about Cate Blanchett? I love the Nordic, transparent, fragile beauty—I’m inspired by the light of the north. Tilda Swinton, too.
                            Early on you worked with Karl Lagerfeld. What lessons did you take from that experience?

That a season is just a season. That everything is relative. And keep your sense of humor.

You have a thing about shoes…

Not a foot fetishist, but I am mad for shoes! It’s very French, but the first thing I do is look at shoes. It’s like my grandmother said: We spend one-third of our life on a mattress, and you’re on your feet for the other two-thirds—and what’s nicer than walking in new shoes?

How do you think the fashion world has changed in the interim?

People are looking for something with a difference, and they are buying in a different way, which is also a reason I think now is a good time to start something new. When I started, I just jumped in and swam. Now I am thinking first about everything—virtual shops, pop-up shops—the whole experience.

Are you nervous?

No. It’s not scary because I have nothing to lose. I have already proven myself. One of the benefits of age is that you don’t have the ego issues you had at 35. Now I want to share my vision. Fashion is my contribution.

—Tina Isaac

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I'll be back already, but would like to see what he's able to do.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎