X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • viv1984viv
    • Feb 2008

Wine and Drinking

Couldn't see a thread about wine and drinking. Im sure people around here enjoy it though. I also thought that seeing as so many StyleGeists have a taste for niche, extravagant or unique items in clothing and perfume then their wine tastes may be interesting too.....?
    Last edited by viv1984viv; 08-26-2009, 03:01 AM.
    Notes from the Vomitorium - The Nerve Of It -
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Good thinking. I definitely don't mind seeing wine recommendations here. I don't know how helpful the title of the thread is though. Maybe put "the wine thread" at the end? Or is it about all alcohol (sans beer)?
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• viv1984viv
      • Feb 2008

No one? Well im pretty new to wine but my parents have a good albeit francocentric taste...

Ive recently had a few chiantis but've been slightly disappointed, ive been trying to get back the wonderful experience I had with a chianti gentilesco in a restaurant a few months ago - a schizophrenic beast, opening with bite, tannin and hedgerow berries only to leave a rounded plum oak after taste... gorgeous.

Chianti Recommendations? Does anyone buy their wine by the case here?

Ive also been enjoying Gigondas wine from the Rhone region, Gigondas is close to Chateaux Neuf region and really really nice....... like good Chateaux Neuf du Pape, lovely.

Comment

• galia
        • Jun 2009

I, like most french people, don't know much about wine sadly. When in doubt, I just pick Cabernet Sauvignon, it goes with most things... especially with nothing actually, I like to drink wine outside of meals

sorry, useless posting tonight

Comment

• eaglewood
          • Feb 2007

My standout wine of late is Felton Road Pinot Noir Block 5 from Central Otago in NZ. Very difficult to get but it is magnificent. Ethereal and powerful at once.

Otherwise I am exploring Chianti.

Comment

• viv1984viv
            • Feb 2008

which chiantis have you tried??

Comment

• jcotteri
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by galia View Post
              I, like most french people, don't know much about wine sadly. When in doubt, I just pick Cabernet Sauvignon, it goes with most things... especially with nothing actually, I like to drink wine outside of meals

sorry, useless posting tonight
              this is a great post, not useless at all. It made me laugh and it certainly rings true.. As for wine, well I will get back to you on this.. But i only know Australian wines..
              WTB: This

Comment

• Mail-Moth
                • Mar 2009

I agree with Galia. I love wine, but I don't know much about it - it's enough for me if the taste is just good. I must admit that in fact, my strongest interest in wine is that it allows me to get drunk without ceasing to think and speak clearly.

But what would I want to get drunk, then, I wonder
                I can see a hat, I can see a cat,
                I can see a man with a baseball bat.

Comment

• eaglewood
                  • Feb 2007

Chiantis - still new to this type and most of them have been a blur but I have had La Massa Chianti Classico Giorgio Primo a few times and it really made me sit up and pay attention. It is a pretty big wine and quite surprising for the type.

Comment

• Real Real
                    • Feb 2007

Drinking a 2005 Quinto do Vale Meao portuguese red - great wine for the price, about ~$20. Wouldn't mind a bit more tannin, and it's nothing revelatory, but it would make a terrific house wine.

In general, Douros are good stuff.

Comment

• raddy
                      • Oct 2008

Not terribly knowledgeable but I'm anxious to see recommendations/thoughts. ^^

Had two bottles of Vineyard 29's CRU (I think 2005) with gf the other week and it was definitely one of the best mid priced cab blends I've ever had. Very shiny, bright, yet still layered and textured flavor. Color was gorgeous like a precious stone.

I had a more expensive Cab blend @ a party that I can't seem to find online, but it was a 2004 Fatoria with a blue and white label, and it was very much the opposite of the above. Dark and brooding and was like cigarettes+blackberries in a good way.

As for chiantis, I can think of a few reasonably priced ones I felt were alright but I tend to drink chiantis as a second or third bottle and am often too drunk to really remember much detail. Riserve Dicales tend to be pretty good and can be found for ~$20.

Now single malts on the other hand could be a fun discussion ^^
                      Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

• viv1984viv
                        • Feb 2008

Last night I indulged a little bit...

Paul Mas Cabernet de Cabernet 2007/2008 Vin de Pays d'Oc - Very very fruity, plummy raspberries, blackberry tannin but so rounded,..... plump blueberries and pepper - that said it doesnt have as much depth as some fine wines. Its uberquaffable. Juicy.

Chianti Solatio Dogg - Cherries, Leather, Smoke and stuff - pretty sharp, powerful and heady but finishes itself well, silky. I enjoyed it with Duck Pate and Marinated Lamb. Really much better with food, the other wines would be great with food but palatable by themselves - chianti maybe not so great for drinking by itself. Im beginning to think the sangiovese grape is a little bit hard to tame but when done well came create some really interesting flavours.

Chateauneuf-du-pape 2007 - Antique oak, preserved cherries and berries, refined and rounded from start to finish- wineberry cotton balls.... great. Dark and Mysterious.

Comment

• hanajibu
                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by raddy View Post
                          Now single malts on the other hand could be a fun discussion ^^
                          i'll bite: i prefer peaty Islay single malts, specifically Laphroiag 10yr (though the "quarter-cask" variety is dope), and I love Bowmore 12yr with food. and leaping over to Skye, i find that Talisker pairs quite well with charcuterie (at least that's all I drink at Bar Boulud, with Gilles VĂ©rot's creations).

if we confine this thread to wine, i am happy to read, learn and drink more but i doubtfully can contribute intelligently as i would a discussion on whisk(e)y...hopefully not derailing the original intent

Comment

• viv1984viv
                            • Feb 2008

Ill never forget the 25yr old talisker i had..... just sublime.
                            Last edited by viv1984viv; 09-05-2009, 03:39 PM.

Comment

• raddy
                              • Oct 2008

Generally not a huge fan of Speysides but the old Glen Grants are amazing. Licorice, cinnamon, smoke, cayenne explosion.

I like the Laphroiag 10 and 15 as well and find them to be more "drinkable" than the Ardbegs, which although seem really popular with scotch snobs, make me feel like I'm drinking out of a bayou. VERY peaty. SWAMP SCOTCH.

I've yet to have a great experience with Talisker; I think I just don't like the pepper notes very much.

Weirdly I find it hard to find much selection of Islays or Speysides that I like in the States. Macallan 12 is drinkable (but much less of a ride as the Cragganmore 12 which is awesome for its price) , 18 I find atrocious, and the 30 very tasty but not very complex for its relative expense -- I get a weird pine sol vibe with both the 18 and 30 Macallan sometimes which really kills it for me. =\

Two of my recent faves partially because of travel and also because they're weirdly relatively easy to find here in the US are Hakushu 12 and Yamakazi 18. (I actually like the 10 too but it is very sweet) The Hakushu is dark and peaty, but not as much so as an Islay. The Yamakazi is more similar to a Highlands -- reminds me very much of the Glenmorangie 25, but lacks its coffee and stickiness, yet is still imo just as good. (For 1/5? the price)
                              Looking for CCP Rain in 50, IS/MA+ loose trousers (IS S/S10!!)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎