X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jon
    • Apr 2008

Over-dyeing...

I didn't see much regarding over-dyeing in the stickied thread, so here is my request:

Can anyone recommend the best procedure for getting a black over-dye on a heavyweight unbleached cotton canvas?

Right now the plan is to first give a pair of pants made of a heavy, textured unbleached cotton a base black dye with a Procion MX Powder Dye and wanted to end up with a black, resin-(or an indigo-)like overdye. I'm sure you can picture the desired affect...

Should I give the pants a second dyeing in the Procion Dye or can you recommend something that will result in something closer to a resin? If you can, please recommend something all-natural.

Thanks.
    Originally posted by merz
    perhaps one day pipcleo will post a wywt so non-euclydian & eldrich in its shapes as to turn all onlookers into throngs of dishevelled, muttering idiots
  • harmsronjarli
    • Aug 2023

To get a more resin-like color, should I give the pants another dip in the Procion Dye, or do you have any other suggestions? Kindly suggest an all-natural option if possible.
    mini crossword

Comment

• joanclark
      • Aug 2023

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      I didn't see much regarding over-dyeing in the stickied thread, so here is my request:

Can anyone recommend the best procedure for getting a black over-dye on a heavyweight unbleached cotton canvas?

Right now the plan is to first give a pair of pants made of a heavy, textured unbleached cotton a rooftop snipers base black dye with a Procion MX Powder Dye and wanted to end up with a black, resin-(or an indigo-)like overdye. I'm sure you can picture the desired affect...

Should I give the pants a second dyeing in the Procion Dye or can you recommend something that will result in something closer to a resin? If you can, please recommend something all-natural.

Thanks.
      Procion MX dyes are suitable for cotton fabrics and can produce deep black shades. However, I also recommend using soda ash as a fixative and washing the fabric before dyeing to remove any dirt or grease. You might also want to use a dye bath with hot water and salt to improve the color intensity and fastness.

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎