X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • business
    • Mar 2009

DIY fingerless leather gloves part 2

Firstly a big thanks to Tomatous for posting his gloves and giving me the inspiration to try this.

My gloves are a little different. They are single pattern piece that I figured out with some cardboard. I then sampled this very quickly in nasty vinyl off an old couch to work the kinks out and get the thumbhole position right.

Note side with thumbhole is the top (pic upside down)

I found a piece of lambskin leather I’ve had lying around for ages and cut it in half down the middle (spine). Then traced the pattern on and cut it out.

Leather after cutting pattern and stitch to hold on palm

Initially I planned on keeping it all raw edged but after finding that my sewing machine would actually take the leather I decided to finish around the top of the hands by rolling it over and stitching.

Gloves wrap around wrist and top of forearm to secure. I haven’t yet decided on a way to finish them, in the pics the leather ends are just tucked in. I’m planning on going down to the local metal store over the weekend and getting some silver to try and make a hooking / fastening system.

Once the pattern was developed, these gloves took about 15 minutes (tops) to make. The piece of lamb’s leather was around $12 AUD. The only tools I used were my scissors and sewing machine.

This is my first attempt at these gloves but I’m quite pleased considering the hodge podge nature in which I made them. I think in future I can make something quite good.

Here are some semi finished pictures:

Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions about the construction or with any feedback, I understand my post is not the most in depth instruction guide. I hope to add some more instructions / pictures when I get time over the weekend.

Cheers.
  • tomatous
    Banned
    • Jan 2009

This is great!

Nice work. I didn't have a sewing machine to use when I made mine. I like the wrap around pattern as well. Be sure to post some more pictures when you finish the other glove :)

Comment

• Prototypes
      • Oct 2008

Another great diy

using a machine always resulted in neater work. btw, what was the size of the needle u used for this and was it a industrial machine?

Comment

Working...
      X
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎