X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kuugaia
    replied
    Thank you zamb, for bothering.

I don't disagree at all with the forum change or the regulations. SZ has come to the point where these changes are necessary. Maybe you misinterpreted the tone from my previous post? I was merely stating that the solutions for problems may not always be flawless. Because as others have stated, it is very easy to bypass this new regulation.

Leave a comment:

• cjbreed
    replied
    true. its hard out here for a pimp

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    Zam, don't bother. When they grow up and face the reality of paying rent and putting food on their table (and on that of their children), they will understand.

Leave a comment:

• zamb
    replied
    Originally posted by kuugaia View Post
    For what it's worth, I get the point you're trying to make. And you're right. But nothing these days is black or white, so what can we do but use the best shade of grey we have at our disposal. Even if the best we got isn't that close.

Before this forum change, people were making money off you without paying for it. Now they kinda have to pay for it.

I have never had a discussion with Faust about this, but since i know him in real life and before the forums were started, let me see if i can help to explain a little bit further.
    Even though Im not sure if my explanation is necessarily correct.

This forum started as a place where there should be an intelligent, articulate discussion about the various aspects of fashion and its relationship to contemporary life..............for him it was never about making money, and I personally know that there has been numerous opportunities for him to make money from the forum, that he has resisted....................
    However, I don't see how difficult it is for people to understand that with the upkeep of the forums, with the time it takes to maintain etc, and the very fact that there are people making and potentially making huge sums of Money from its content, some amount of regulation isn't necessary.

Let me also say here that i am a part of the group who has made money through this forum and has no bones about paying something, even though so far I have not been asked to do so...............I've been a designer for years and the best Ive experience with respect to my work has been since I've been a member here, even though that was never my reason for joining this forum.

Heck, I could be all cool and mystical about it, but heaven knows where my company would be without SZ, and while many will not willingly admit, many of these mystical, too cool to communicate with you designers, owe a ton of their value to this forum

I also don't see why some people as intelligent and smart as they project themselves to be, have a problem with making money, as if its a bad thing...............
    We live in a world where just by how its run, the very nature of existence requires money, and if large companies and all can use the content here for research etc, and profit form that, i don't see why regulating it, and making it more difficult and costly to access should be a problem.

Leave a comment:

• kuugaia
    replied
    Originally posted by Shucks View Post
    what does bother me is that all of a sudden, you've now turned the content of the site - which is generated by the members in their free time - into a commodity which is for sale. that - plus the fact that you brush it all off so easily as if it doesn't matter - makes it seem like you've now changed the guiding principles of this place 180 degrees.

that just isn't cool.

my 2 cents. i'm done.
    For what it's worth, I get the point you're trying to make. And you're right. But nothing these days is black or white, so what can we do but use the best shade of grey we have at our disposal. Even if the best we got isn't that close.

Before this forum change, people were making money off you without paying for it. Now they kinda have to pay for it.

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    No plans to do tapatalk. I will not do just a generic version - I want it to be aesthetically consistent with the main site, but that costs a chunk of money that I thought I'd recoup with app sales, but this does not seem to be the case.

Leave a comment:

• dddr
    replied
    think that's a good call, despite having only a couple posts i've been here for quite some times, the site now needs some sort of "protection" i reckon.

however,

that means the feeds no longer work now

Leave a comment:

• theetruscan
    replied
    Glad you got it under control. Sorry you all had to go through that trouble.

Is there any plan to add tapatalk to the forum? As I understand it, it costs site owners nothing to add it onto VBulletin, and it makes forums much nicer to brows from iphones and android phones. (though the iphone/android client is not free)

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    There was a technical problem of unknown origins and epic proportions, but our guru killed it like Palin kills a moose. Sorry for the induced rest and causing withdrawal symptoms in some members.

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    Don't bother, Nictan. Shucks is not stupid.

Leave a comment:

• nictan
    replied
    ^ i dont think Faust is putting the information/content on this site up for sale per se. explicitly 'advertising' and putting it up for sale blatantly is different from collecting money for usage.

all that has changed is, if you were once a business who has been mining information from SZ for free, you now have to pay. its not like Faust goes around contacting H&M asking if they would like to subscribe to exclusive SZ content.

Leave a comment:

• Shucks
    replied
    look i realize it's probably not going to change how much/little companies are using the site for their own purposes. don't call me paranoid - that's not what bothers me.

what does bother me is that all of a sudden, you've now turned the content of the site - which is generated by the members in their free time - into a commodity which is for sale. that - plus the fact that you brush it all off so easily as if it doesn't matter - makes it seem like you've now changed the guiding principles of this place 180 degrees.

that just isn't cool.

my 2 cents. i'm done.

Leave a comment:

• MetroBulotDodo
    replied
    Really, the second one writes something that can be viewed by a public audience, one has then already contributed an immaterial commodity that's ripe for misuse under particular conditions (that is if you believe that commodities can be divided between material and immaterial, but that's beside the point.) Unless that "immaterial" commodity has been trademarked in some form, anyone or any corporation who has access can theoretically get fat by skimming off the collective creativity of the forum (look at how popular theaddict is on eBay, for example.)

I see that limiting access is a "good" deterrent. It may not be the most secure means, but it is one, nonetheless.

Professional journals have a scaled subscription charge; institutions fund the bulk of the subscriptions that I would not be able to afford were I to have to pay my precise share of the production costs, given the costs due to their limited runs. Professionals -- a designer say -- ought to be able to pay, and yeah, perhaps I'm naive, but let's hope that they respect the mutuality of the contribution that happens in this medium and pay.

Last point: ultimately, one has to trust that Faust is *not* Mark Zuckerburg, right? I mean, this man does not even like sneakers...I doubt that he'd let friggin' H & M run roughshod over forum users. My guess, based on what I've seen, is that Faust's moral compass - especially the pink tide that runs through our comrade's veins - is oriented in a such a way that will work to keep our interests protected. I trust until I do not have a reason to, so I stay. E is not without a stake in this: he holds our trust in his hands, some part of his legitimacy in the industry... these considerations *must* come into play in his decisions, methinks.

In any case, let's be pragmatic here. The man has to foot the big 'ol pain in the ass bill for bandwidth. Seriously, gears and springs start shooting out of my head when I dare think about the immensity of it, I mean...ow. This is not to say that all should be sacrificed so that bill can be paid, but let's believe that it won't be done in a manner we, the forum as a collectivity, would find objectionable or unsatisfactory. And if so, you'd be able to answer easily your own question about your continued participation. In that case, the answer would be glaringly clear, no? You'd want no part of that, so you'd leave. Easy.

Cheers,

MBD
    Last edited by MetroBulotDodo; 01-28-2011, 07:49 PM. Reason: cain't spail

Leave a comment:

• Peasant
    replied
    A valid point, but most will certainly be able to register without much confusion. And yes, anybody who wants to pirate or browse for "inspiration" will easily be able to create a fake account. Even if it needs to be connected to a non-work email. Obviously, just as easy to create. Over-all, though the changes can be good. Cut down on some of the bullshit. Just the thought of registering and committing an email address and / or name will deter some of the trolls. But yes, those simply googling a designer for where to kop info will be deterred as well. I can't see a huge loss for the boutiques. But in a place like this, where one designer easily leads to another, newbies may never see or hear about them (a plus for the selfish).
    Sounds like more work than necessary, but I'm not a Mod and I don't have to deal with the shit anyway. Maybe it's cutting down on irritants that I'm unaware of.

Leave a comment:

• AKA*NYC
    replied
    i can't imagine that anyone who is shrewd enough to mine sz for professional purposes would actually cough up the juice when a fake and/or personal account is so simple to make. if anything this just makes the site harder to access for well-intentioned but not internet forum-savvy souls (as i was prior to my discovery of sz) and therefore takes useful foot traffic away from the affiliates who are already on board.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎