Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faust
    replied
    SZ will be down for maintenance tonight. Tomorrow we are coming with a brand new shining website for both the forum and the magazine. Hold tight!

Leave a comment:

• ian+
    replied
    Originally posted by Mezeinee View Post
    Have threads of the last few weeks been deleted somehow?
    I was going to look into a thread I started (about how I got kicked out of Darklands) and it doesn't exist anymore.
    Can anyone tell me what's happened?
    Originally posted by coup de grace View Post
    ...So, we had to revert all the way back to VB3 (and a snapshot of the database that was taken immediately prior to the upgrade, which is why we lost the interim posts, mea culpa)...
    Feel free to post your experience again, preferably in the Retailers thread.

Leave a comment:

• Mezeinee
    replied
    Have threads of the last few weeks been deleted somehow?
    I was going to look into a thread I started (about how I got kicked out of Darklands) and it doesn't exist anymore.
    Can anyone tell me what's happened?

Leave a comment:

• Geoffrey B. Small
    replied
    Yes, absolutely- many many thanks cdg for getting the forum back up, greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• mrbeuys
    replied
    Thanks a lot, cdg, for the no doubt infuriatingly hard work on this. Been there, done that and it wasn't pretty either.

Leave a comment:

• coup de grace
    replied
    A slightly more detailed version of what happened and we're going to do moving forward --

(tl;dr Hosting a large forum is hard.)

We've been running the same version of vBulletin (VB3, save for a handful of security patches and performance optimizations) for a while now. Our hosting provider recently upgraded the version of PHP on our server which caused an incompatibility between vBulletin and the database connection layer. Rather than trying to patch vBulletin or downgrade PHP, I made the (hasty) decision to upgrade vBulletin to the most recent version, 5. That turned out to be a huge mistake, since VB5 has a number of performance and customization problems. We limped along for a few days while I talked to a couple of contractors about trying to get things stable on VB5, but the consensus was that we needed to downgrade to VB4.

So, we had to revert all the way back to VB3 (and a snapshot of the database that was taken immediately prior to the upgrade, which is why we lost the interim posts, mea culpa), patch the site to deal with the database connectivity issues, and downgrade PHP, all of which was not trivial for reasons that are not very interesting. In any case, we're now back where we started.

Moving forward, we'll upgrade to VB4 which has a bunch of performance improvements and useful features, but we'll do it in a sane way that doesn't take down the board for a week. In the mean time, if you run into any issues you can DM me or post here.

@dji: Those memory errors should have stopped as of yesterday afternoon EST.

@zamb: There were some residual issues with search that should be resolved as of yesterday afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• zamb
    replied
    Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Strange, everything works for me.
    seems to be working better and Faster now.....

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    Strange, everything works for me.

Leave a comment:

• zamb
    replied
    Yea a few glitches still, like new posts takes you to search, but i guess those will be ironed out in time

Leave a comment:

• dji
    replied
    ah fair enough. still seeing some errors like the below E:
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 94371840 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 8436558 bytes) in /home/stylezeitgeistps/stylezeitgeist.com/forums/showthread.php on line 1090

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    No, we were unable to reconstruct the database. The forced upgrade to vBulletin 5 has really screwed us. We will still go ahead with the upgrade to vBulletin 4 in the coming days, but everything should be more or less back to normal.

Leave a comment:

• dji
    replied
    looks like the activity on the temp forum hasn't carried over?

Leave a comment:

• cjbreed
    replied
    are we back

Leave a comment:

• okayvin
    replied
    Please enable RSS for the forum

Leave a comment:

• Arkady
    replied
    Sending this to a brilliant designer friend of mine named Lenora who frequents the forum -- I would definitely offer but I'm terminally swamped right now.
    Last edited by Arkady; 09-28-2015, 03:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎