• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• endersgame
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    While I understand that, Heirloom, an indispensable attribute of a present is its appeal to the one you gift. I HATE giving and getting useless junk - it is incredibly wasteful. And since I usually have a dozen books or so in my wishlist, the element of surprise is always there. Everyone who knows me knows that I am incredibly picky, so my family pretty much gives up and gives me cash for my birthday, which I find to be the most fitting and therefore satisfying present, because it allows me to buy what I want. It's even better when I combine money from several relatives and buy something nice and they know they all contributed to this one thing (which in a way reflects the essence of family).

Leave a comment:

• Heirloom
    Guest replied
    I try not to buy christmas gifts or birthday presents, but sometime you just have to to make sure it stays mutual. I buy things when they pop up and i come to think of a person. Mostly the idea of what to give pops up before i find the reason to give it to them. I don't like shopping from wish lists. It defeats the whole purpose of making it a happy surprise. I want gifts to be gifts, not orders.

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    On a side note, I find it incredibly hard to shop for gifts for extended family. It's hard to buy anything worthwhile (except books, but nobody reads) under $20, except toys for kids. In that respect I must be the easiest person - I just broadcast my Amazon wish-list.

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    All right, all right, I wanted to see how you'd react ;-)

I have to say, I find these multi-tools rather worthless in terms of function, mostly because they have an annoying tendency to fold back in during use. Maybe because I have a cheapo one that I got for free when a long time ago when my company was bought by another company and they wanted to show us that they were the good guys, before they would screw us.

Leave a comment:

• merkuri
    replied
    that's why i don;t buy my wife shoes. how will she remain barefoot if I do?

purchased more gifts today:

gift card to craft for my partner, william sonoma hot chocolate for the doormen and porter. nothing exciting, but almost done at least.

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    A rather sexist gift, Mona. What would you say if he got you a set of cooking pots?

Leave a comment:

• MoFiya
    replied
    I somehow still like the idea of the DH You & Me Bracelet... Although it's kind of kitschy.

And although it's not my significant other, here is what I got my mom for christmas: a hand-made porcelain vase.. I just adore the simplicity yet the modernity. The design is adopted from some era I forgot long ago. Nevertheless I find the design so super-timeless... Well... blablabla
    Last edited by MoFiya; 12-16-2009, 03:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• fadetogrey
    replied
    I agree with books and massages! I like getting things that I wouldn't normally get myself, like semi-pricey fashion books. In the past my boyfriend and I have just gone on vacation during/after x-mas and called that our gift to eachother.

Leave a comment:

• genevieveryoko
    replied
    Originally posted by Faust View Post
    Too bad I hardly have people in my life who read.
    you're joking, right? There's a special someone in my life who doesn't read...he buys plenty of books but I'm the one that reads them

anyway, a great gift idea I think would some A.F. Vandevorst lingerie, or some of their books are also really quite interesting, dealing with things the wife might find interesting...

I love getting fashion gifts but so rarely does someone else know exactly what I want, or what size to get...why not just spoil the girl and get her a gift certificate for a really good massage?

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    Originally posted by rider View Post
    the margiela book is another good one, also if they read a particular author quite a bit or love a specific book buying the first edition is a neat idea.
    My favorite gifts to give and to receive. Too bad I hardly have people in my life who read.

Leave a comment:

• Faust
    replied
    Originally posted by laika View Post
    ccp, the obvious choice for the boy
    who has everything already.

faust, dare i ask
    what you are getting for the women in your life?

coco de mer has some funny things!
    none of what i posted above.

Leave a comment:

• rider
    replied
    the margiela book is another good one, also if they read a particular author quite a bit or love a specific book buying the first edition is a neat idea.

Leave a comment:

• laika
    replied
    ccp, the obvious choice for the boy
    who has everything already.

faust, dare i ask
    what you are getting for the women in your life?

coco de mer has some funny things!

Leave a comment:

• coup de grace
    replied
    Originally posted by laika View Post
    bump....
    it's the most wonderful time of the year
    and i am woefully behind and seeking inspiration.
    plz post gift ideas here
    ccp plz

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
😀
🥰
🤢
😎
😡
👍
👎