X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pumpfish
    • Sep 2010

100,000km, or 3 year consumer test

In motor magazines, you often read long term owner reviews. Unless you flip your car (hopefully not literally) every year, these are probably the most valuable insights into the value of a car.

I'd be keen to read about extended ownership of the kinds of clothes we discuss here. Long after the thrill of purchase has faded.

To kick off, I'd like to review my CCP one button, lined/unlined jacket in WIM 10 (for the non Sissy nerds, that's a medium heavy wool fabric, with a slightly crepe weave, colour black)

I've had it for about three years, and must wear it every other week.

I've never gone to Carol for the art and the meaning. I just think he cuts the best jackets. This one comes from his standard block, and has the nicely pronounced sleevehead. Not quite roped. The lapel is medium to narrow, and the waist is reasonably pronounced. The sleeves are distinctly narrow, with a high armhole, and the cuff isn't quite fishtail, but it closes like a dress shirt.

You really notice the cut in profile when you catch a glance in a long mirror or passing a glass wall. It follows the line of the spine quite dramatically.

Colour is mat. Design features minimal, there is nothing decorative, and it is quite stiff and heavy. The cut and weight give me an instant lift in posture.

I wear this jacket to formal work gatherings, where it is seldom remarked upon, but it I know it is special.

Also casually. It has seen action from sweaty gig venues to more sweaty gig venues.

The original appeal for me was the tailored shape. I didn't know when I bought it that after 3 years it would still look perfect, and it would remain of heavy rotation.
    Last edited by Pumpfish; 10-04-2013, 11:39 AM.
    spinning glue back into horses. . .
  • Vehk
    Banned
    • Apr 2013

good thread, Pumpfish.
    Ok, let's start. Since you call it 100km, I'd like to contribute a bit about footwear. I usually walk a lot, about 10-15km every day (up to 25 at weekend), mostly in urban area / heavy grain asphalt pavements, plus it usually really wet here.

1) 788z guidi's in reversed horse, winter weight, I bought a year ago via HideM (thanks again, H). Vibramed from a day one. I started to wear em in a middle of winter, -15C, salt and all the shit you could imagine. I've wear em at least 3 days a week from January to April and then at least once in a week to the current moment. They still like new, holds its shape very good without any issues, soles was revibramed only once, boots still smells this fantastic rotten fish scent of new ones.

2) a1923 culatta frontzips. Wear em at least 1 day in a week more then a year now, and I mean wear em: walk, work with heavy and dirty stuff, beat em with a lot of shit. They was wet as idontknowwhat a lot of times, they was white from salt and black from graphite dust, but hot water and sponge always saves em. I'd say they got over 1000km of biography and they still hold shape fully.
    Last edited by Vehk; 10-04-2013, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

Staying on the footwear kick:

Ann Demeulemeester boots, all the ones I own in her go-to calfskin, have continued to look virtually day-1 new, regardless of how many times I wear them. I've walked from the trenches of the Lower East Side to the West Village countless times, not taking them off for
      10 hours or longer, and they just continue to soldier on.

This is still the case, even after 5+ years of regular wear.

It really is the damndest thing.
      sain't

Comment

• naturalalmonds
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Vehk View Post
        I started to wear em in a middle of winter, -15C, salt and all the shit you could imagine. I've wear em at least 3 days a week from January to April and then at least once in a week to the current moment. They still like new, holds its shape very good without any issues, soles
        If there's one thing I'm afraid of for leather footwear, it's salt. Are you doing anything specific to protect against it beforehand, or do you do anything to deal with it afterwards? (e.g., wiping them down after every day of wear)
        I want to do product, I am a product person, not just clothing but water bottle design - Kanye West

Comment

• Bson
          • May 2013

I can can also attest to my Ann double-buckle combats looking pretty sweet with no cracks/scratches even after trampling through clubs, snow, rain, etc. The best things in life get better with time

Comment

• Vehk
            Banned
            • Apr 2013

Originally posted by naturalalmonds View Post
            If there's one thing I'm afraid of for leather footwear, it's salt. Are you doing anything specific to protect against it beforehand, or do you do anything to deal with it afterwards? (e.g., wiping them down after every day of wear)
            minimal pre-coating with saphir waterresistant spray and yes everyday cleaning with hot water.

Comment

• Castor
              • Nov 2009

FW '09 Rick hammered lamb high neck intarsia in dark dust. Most worn leather ever. I keep trying to top it and I can't seem to. Best fit. Best skin.
              Originally posted by DRRRK
              The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Ann Demeulemeester original combat boots from Twighlight, FW03. Looks as new after all these years. Lost one strap though - if someone has a spare, please, please oblige me.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cmitso412
                  • Feb 2010

There are a few pieces I wear fairly regularly, so I will add some more experiences when I have time. Maybe a picture could be useful to see how things break in with heavy wear. I haven't seen Albert's CCP tornadoes in a couple years and I'd love to see how they've developed.

Rick blistered lamb shorts: I wear these two or three times a week and the leather has held up extremely well. No rips or tears and I don't have to worry about the leather disintegrating. The liner on the inside literally falls apart and I'm either going to just cut it out and live without it or get Chris French to replace it with something that will hold up. The front pockets develop holes at the bottom constantly and I rarely put anything in them anymore, should replace those too. The buttons on the ass come loose, so I always make sure they are secure. I have no concerns about tearing the seams on these.

classic L'maltieri linen shirts hold up really well. Once you strengthen the stitching buttons to secure them, they will last forever.

Comment

• kunk75
                    Banned
                    • May 2008

just sold mine, was a bad move

Originally posted by Castor View Post
                    FW '09 Rick hammered lamb high neck intarsia in dark dust. Most worn leather ever. I keep trying to top it and I can't seem to. Best fit. Best skin.

Comment

• interest1
                      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post

Ann Demeulemeester original combat boots from Twighlight, FW03. Looks as new after all these years. Lost one strap though - if someone has a spare, please, please oblige me.
                      I knew I wasn't alone on this one! It's just never been confirmed until this thread went up.

Regarding your missing strap, one of mine migrates all over the house if I don't put it right back on my boot after wearing it around my wrist. The damn thing's gone missing for weeks at a time, LoL, only to reappear, mysteriously, underneath the sofa.
                      sain't

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cmitso412 View Post
                        There are a few pieces I wear fairly regularly, so I will add some more experiences when I have time. Maybe a picture could be useful to see how things break in with heavy wear. I haven't seen Albert's CCP tornadoes in a couple years and I'd love to see how they've developed.

7 year consumer report!

Images of my CCP tornados purchased from Atelier back in 2006 (or early 2007). $1450 retail back then .

Heavily worn, revibramed twice... once in Boston and the second time in Berlin. I have had to replace one zipper pull due to it coming apart but nothing else.

In terms of care, the occasional Kiwi oil wipedown and a moist cloth for anything like salt marks but otherwise nothing major. Have been worn through rain, sleet, snow and everything in between. Have been around the world and back.

Heel cup firm and intact. No drooping. The leather retains its beautiful luster and graining and holds its shape perfectly.

Worth every penny.
                        www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Yuriii
                          • Dec 2012

Hey Pumpfish, any chance you can post a few pictures of that CCP jacket?

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎