Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leather care

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • zamb
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2006
    • 5834

    Originally posted by Test View Post
    Indeed, I know doing it to a wool jacket is difficult, an overcoat cost me about $110 at a good tailor. The general problem is that I have normal length arms, thus all leather jacket arms are too long (not RO crazy length, but still long). Thanks for the input.

    Would be highly appreciated if anyone that has had it done or knows about shortening leather sleeves specifically could comment.

    It can be done, Ive done it before..........(don't ask me to do it now though)
    it also depends on the construction of the jacket, as the simpler the cut, the better the results might likely be.

    the problem with leather is that once its sewn, the holes are permanent so extra care should be taken when its being worked on.

    Also a lot of tailors don't like to work with leather because it either requires a Teflon presser foot for regular machines or a walking foot machine which is often a huge investment.
    “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
    .................................................. .......................


    Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

    Comment

    • cowsareforeating
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 1032

      quick question --
      got my poell derbies soles redone recently by a cobbler and i think he did a solid job... except that he conditioned the leather and now they're not matte, they're kind of shiny...

      how do i undo this? i know wearing them around will dull it, but any other quick fix methods?

      Comment

      • franz
        Senior Member
        • Mar 2011
        • 221

        Originally posted by cowsareforeating View Post
        quick question --
        got my poell derbies soles redone recently by a cobbler and i think he did a solid job... except that he conditioned the leather and now they're not matte, they're kind of shiny...

        how do i undo this? i know wearing them around will dull it, but any other quick fix methods?
        Try something like that, it should remove all traces of conditioning.
        But keep in mind that leather does suffer from lack of hydration, so using conditioners/hydrating lotions is key to ensuring your shoes' long life expectancy.
        Even Cordovan needs a bit of care, even if it's only every few years (or after having been washed). Be careful, cordovan leather should only be treated with proper products (but maybe your derbies aren't).
        Originally posted by Faust
        True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

        Comment

        • asecretmaker
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 109

          anybody know how to care for the rick owens blistered lamb leather? thanks!!
          Last edited by asecretmaker; 09-20-2011, 05:36 AM.

          Comment

          • chomeo
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2010
            • 163

            this may sound stupid but due to my excessive travels, i gather lots of lotions (from hotels) that i always want to use on my leather shoes. figured if it's good for human skin, then must be okay for shoes and boots. :)

            Comment

            • franz
              Senior Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 221

              Originally posted by chomeo View Post
              this may sound stupid but due to my excessive travels, i gather lots of lotions (from hotels) that i always want to use on my leather shoes. figured if it's good for human skin, then must be okay for shoes and boots. :)
              That is not stupid, some leathers (e.g. horse) may easily be nurished/hydrated with hand cream. But it should be as neutral as possible I guess (no silicone, no perfume etc).
              Only this should not prevent you from using wax or quality coloured-cream from time to time, so that the lether does not becomr tarnished or covered with a light white veil as with non-coloured wax/cream.
              Originally posted by Faust
              True story. Dude walks into Hostem, looks around, says, "I like how you took this whole All Saints thing and ran with it."

              Comment

              • voice_on_tape
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2011
                • 261

                Originally posted by asecretmaker View Post
                anybody know how to care for the rick owens blistered lamb leather? thanks!!
                yes, someone please answer this!
                -v_o_t
                sale items

                Comment

                • GlassOrganelle
                  Senior Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 139

                  Originally posted by voice_on_tape View Post
                  yes, someone please answer this!
                  Me too.

                  Is it okay to have blistered leather dry cleaned? I can't imagine any dry cleaners in my area having worked with it before. I stupidly wore my jacket out to a club and now it has a smell. I tend to forget just how disgusting and hot they can be, especially when it's cold out.

                  Comment

                  • ErnstLudwig
                    Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 62

                    Originally posted by GlassOrganelle View Post
                    Is it okay to have blistered leather dry cleaned? I can't imagine any dry cleaners in my area having worked with it before. I stupidly wore my jacket out to a club and now it has a smell. I tend to forget just how disgusting and hot they can be, especially when it's cold out.
                    I would never dry clean any kind of leather because it can kill the structure/surface conditioning of the leather.
                    If its only smell = hang outside for extended periods of time (of cause no direct hardcore sunlight, that can lead to destaining/conversion of the dyes)
                    Spills etc. (based on normal lamb leather): 1) try water (cold) soak certain area, small amount of physical force = rubbing. Let dry completely (no enforced heat!) 2) If it doesn't work, like before but use additionally baby shampoo (be as gentle as possible) 3) if all doesn't work: glycerin saddle soap, but be aware that based on the dye, structure... local destining can occur.
                    "Re-oiling" after washing procedures with lamb leather I would stay way (normal procedure for all my calf leather shoes), because depending on the dyeing it can "suck it up" leading to visible darker stains.

                    Generally I highly recommend that since all leathers are different to try the procedure you intend to do on a invisible spot of the garment/shoe!

                    Comment

                    • GlassOrganelle
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 139

                      Originally posted by ErnstLudwig View Post
                      I would never dry clean any kind of leather because it can kill the structure/surface conditioning of the leather.
                      ...
                      Thank you so much for that!

                      Would you/anyone also have any advice for caring for vegetable tanned leather? I've just acquired this Damir Doma belt and would prefer to protect it. Being a light colour and seemingly susceptible to stains I feel like I should do something. From what I've been able to find google-ing, treating it is likely to darken the leather.

                      Comment

                      • ErnstLudwig
                        Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 62

                        Based on the pic it will age with time and develop a darker color (sunlight does the trick). You can't do anything to prevent that, but imho it will make it even better looking.

                        Stains, what do you do intend to do with this belt?
                        No generally you can prevent a certain amount of water stains by waxing the leather product. Just use colorless shoe cream, but a) no cheap one and b) use very few amounts, wait till the leather sucks it up (30 min - overnight), shine it with a cotton cloth, silk stockings whatever is available. But of cause it results in a certain amount of shine.
                        If something has happened, same procedure that I mentioned above (wash it). But this kind of leather (saddle leather), since it is fully tanned, will withstand a lot. After the cleaning let it dry completely and treat it with an oil/water solution (for shoes again) to give it back it strength (no wax).

                        Comment

                        • Umami
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 92

                          Originally posted by voice_on_tape View Post
                          yes, someone please answer this!

                          leave it as it is.

                          Comment

                          • GlassOrganelle
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2011
                            • 139

                            Originally posted by ErnstLudwig View Post
                            Based on the pic it will age with time and develop a darker color (sunlight does the trick). You can't do anything to prevent that, but imho it will make it even better looking.

                            Stains, what do you do intend to do with this belt?
                            Thank you again! Only recently I've been able to get some more quality leather items and I've realised I have no idea how to care for them.

                            Haha knowing my luck someone will spill/get something on me, or I'll end up doing that myself somehow .

                            Comment

                            • Umami
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 92

                              Originally posted by noumenos
                              did anyone already try to machine wash RO blistered leather pants ?
                              I did !

                              using delicate cycle, no washing detergent.

                              let it dry naturally.

                              You can also iron it but don't use steam .

                              PS: using cold water unless you want to shrink your pants

                              Comment

                              • 8bpc
                                Senior Member
                                • May 2010
                                • 117

                                How should Ann Demeulemeester leather trousers (Matt Smoke color) be cared for and cleaned? Tag only indicates 100% leather and not the type of leather.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎