• MetroBulotDodo
    • Oct 2010

Ladidums -

any word on your makeup?

MBD
    "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
    It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
    My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• fadetogrey
      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by MetroBulotDodo View Post
      /\

Rider is in the NY-region and uses Bryce -- trust me, he's worth going through, and he will *take care of you.* I've heard many stories of people being disappointed when going through the NYC counter...

I will say for example, that if you try a cosmetic, and don't like it, and you went through me I could easy put in a word so that you could return or exchange it. When you establish a relationship with him, he'll probably do that for you anyway...

I really recommend it. (He has a lot more authority than the usual Barneys counter SA -- he works directly for Serge Lutens and has done so for more than a dozen years.)

MBD
      Thanks MBD,

I would, considering that I've not had great service in many Barney's beauty depts (Las Vegas has been the best), but having never tried SL before I really want to see it in person before I consider purchasing. I'll be visiting NYC next month so it will be my only chance. Maybe I'll just take a look and then give Bryce a call.

Comment

• TheDivinitus
        • Jul 2011

Hi Rider, by "retin a" did you mean Retin-A the brand or in general, anything with tretinoin? Thanks.
        blog

Comment

• rider
          eyes of the world
          • Jun 2009

^ i use generic tretinoin .05%. the big tube costs about $75 if i remember correctly at costco pharmacy and lasts me the year, which means comparitively to over the counter products with tretinoin in them the cost is measurably lower and the results are proven.

Comment

• Ladidums
            • Oct 2012

Got the serge lutens foundation and quant a sol.

My face is darker and ruddier compared to my neck which is pretty much a medium to medium fair colour. In the pan, the foundation is pretty much a match for my neck colour but when put on my face, it makes my face looks grey! Is it just too much foundation? Or too light?

Edit to add: I use the sponge provided.

Comment

• rider
              eyes of the world
              • Jun 2009

^ that's odd because if anything i would say the nature of the powder foundation is that its very sheer, but i always use a big brush to apply, that way i can layer areas that need a bigger dose and others barely anything.

can you call and ask advice from someone who knows the line and how it reacts to skin color? thats what i would do, especially for the $$$ you spent, bryce advice comes with the package.

sponges are a huge waste of product in my opinion but that shouldnt change the color.

Comment

• galia
                • Jun 2009

isn't tretinoin quite rough on the skin though? I think I was prescribed it as a teenager and it made the skin on my face look like this:

Comment

• Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011

it can do that, but usually only temporarily until your skin adjusts. often people have a bad experience with it because they've started at too high a concentration, or got the wrong base (gel vs lotion).

just like any active, though, some people just don't tolerate it well. it's also possible to dilute it somewhat by applying a moisturizer right before you apply it.
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• Ladidums
                    • Oct 2012

Rider: thanks! It never crossed my mind to ask Bryce. (DUH!)

Galia: you're correct. It does dry the skin and make it like that. You'll also need to commit to a pretty good sunscreen daily if you haven't. Even if it's gloomy and dark out. I can't take putting another layer of stuff on my face so I pretty much skip any retin-A thingy.

But if you can put in the effort, the key is constant and consistent hydration using a combination of emollients and humectants. You'll also need to build up to it. I started using a 0.05% gel twice a week at night many years ago and never really went beyond 4 days a week. Alas, too much work for me.

Comment

• rider
                      eyes of the world
                      • Jun 2009

i have less of issue with retin a than i do with the serge lutens mask.
                      that is some strong stuff...5 minutes tops and olive drench afterwards but a week later i have a rosy glow.

Comment

• Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011

I read somewhere that there was no conclusive proof that stronger concentrations of R-A were more effective than weaker ones, so the .025% is a good starter.

Also, the alcohol content in the gel is known to be a harsher deliver system than the cream formulations, so that helps too.

I agree with Rider that it's better to use something with scientific proof behind it rather than spending $$$ on creams with lots of brand-backed ingredients. I'm old skool that way tho.
                        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

Comment

• rider
                          eyes of the world
                          • Jun 2009

Dane, i meant to tell you the DVN scent is perhaps my favorite ever, and it lingers in waves. its strong at first, i have to spray about 8 inches away, but god is it alluring once it lays down...everything the man touches is so precisely perfect.

Comment

• Dane
                            HAMMERTIME
                            • Feb 2011

Interesting...I'll have to head uptown to smell it...I honestly didn't have high hopes for it, but it seems to be getting good reviews all around.

Comment

• galia
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Dane View Post
                              I read somewhere that there was no conclusive proof that stronger concentrations of R-A were more effective than weaker ones, so the .025% is a good starter.

Also, the alcohol content in the gel is known to be a harsher deliver system than the cream formulations, so that helps too.

I agree with Rider that it's better to use something with scientific proof behind it rather than spending $$$ on creams with lots of brand-backed ingredients. I'm old skool that way tho.
                              But what will it do to the face of an adult? Fortunately, I don't have acne anymore, so why should I use it? What are the benefits for me? (genuine question, no sarcasm)

So far I've been using a night cream with tea-tree oil in it and it seems to have cleaned out most of the minor imperfections I still had. I haven't had a pimple since I started using it, but I guess I could stand to have smaller and clearer pores. Won't something as strong as retin a damage my skin and dry it out, thus making my skin age faster and wrinkle?

Comment

• Dane
                                HAMMERTIME
                                • Feb 2011

it helps with wrinkles, sun damage, minimizes pore size, and basically normalizes cells, which helps in production and turn-over, as well as collagen retention.

as far as I know, it's the only scientifically proven topical preparation proven to do these things. problem is people have a hard time adapting to it, and waiting to see the results. some people think that unless you're seeing side effects (redness, peeling) that it's not strong enough, and eventually give up on it. it's not an overnight sort of thing, it takes several months to benefit from it.

it was initially approved as an acne medication, as you said, and works for that as well, but its uses have been broadened to longer it's been on the market.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎