Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Women's Fragrances

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Dane
    HAMMERTIME
    • Feb 2011
    • 3252

    #16
    Originally posted by LustMord View Post
    BOTTEGA VENETA....

    interessting, new....

    But most liked: Cartier- Le baiser de dragon
    You may want to stock up on Le Baiser...as the rumours are of its discontinuation. Or...you could save yourself some $$$ and buy Old Spice, which isn't miles off.

    Also, Bottega Veneta is nice, but hardly a new idea...take a whiff of Mitsouko, Rocha Femme, Diorella, or Jubilation 25 (amongst many others). Still...it's far from terrible and a nice change from your typical fruit floral. :)
    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

    Comment

    • Magic1
      Senior Member
      • Jan 2011
      • 225

      #17
      My girlfriend has been looking for a gardenia perfume for a while. Most are way too sweet. Any suggestions? Is the Chanel one good?

      thanks for the advice.

      Comment

      • Dane
        HAMMERTIME
        • Feb 2011
        • 3252

        #18
        Originally posted by Magic1 View Post
        My girlfriend has been looking for a gardenia perfume for a while. Most are way too sweet. Any suggestions? Is the Chanel one good?

        thanks for the advice.
        Chanel's is probably the worst you can buy...which is a shame for such an exemplary collection.

        Best options:
        -Estee Lauder Tuberose Gardenia (parfum is better than EDP)
        -Tom Ford's Velvet Gardenia (discontinued, but worth asking)
        -Acqua di Parma's Iris Nobile (ignore the name)...I prefer EDT to EDP, but both are good

        Another discontinued, but was cheap at the time - Yves Rocher's Pur Desir de Gardenia.

        For an alternative...not gardenia, but similar vibe - Manoumalia by Les Nez. Fabulously exotic and lush. This would be my personal choice.

        ps - every other perfume labelled "Gardenia" is a sham...all are simply tuberose or less. "Real" gardenia oil is virtually unheard of, which is why no perfumes actually contain it, but I've read that Enfleurage in NYC, who sell oils, have come up with something believable.
        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

        Comment

        • Dane
          HAMMERTIME
          • Feb 2011
          • 3252

          #19
          Originally posted by rilu
          I'd like a suggestion for a perfume - I'm not at all familiar with the whole variety of them, and from what I've had a chance to test, Jil Sander Pure has been my favorite one. Any tips for what I could try?

          p.s.
          Got recently a sample of the new MMM one and while at first it seemed all right, a bit soapy but still fresh, staying close to skin, after a while I've realized I don't like it at all. Reminds me too much of soap and it's just not exciting.
          Agreed that MMM is dull as all get out...but honestly, Pure isn't much different in my book...you can do better (in the sense that it doesn't have much personality). If that's your thing though, I don't judge...give Donna Karan Cashmere Mist a try.

          Otherwise, what else do you like...flowers, woods, spices, etc.?
          i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

          Comment

          • Dane
            HAMMERTIME
            • Feb 2011
            • 3252

            #20
            Not sure if you're near Brussles, but if so, check out this shop: http://www.senteursdailleurs.eu/

            Some brands to check out there would be Andre Putman (only the one scent), The Different Company (all are good, but try Osmanthus and De Baschmakoff) and L'Artisan (The Pour Un Ete and Saffran Troublant in particular, but again, none are terrible).
            i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

            Comment

            • J_J
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2008
              • 269

              #21
              Originally posted by Dane View Post
              Chanel's is probably the worst you can buy...which is a shame for such an exemplary collection.

              Best options:
              -Estee Lauder Tuberose Gardenia (parfum is better than EDP)
              -Tom Ford's Velvet Gardenia (discontinued, but worth asking)
              -Acqua di Parma's Iris Nobile (ignore the name)...I prefer EDT to EDP, but both are good

              Another discontinued, but was cheap at the time - Yves Rocher's Pur Desir de Gardenia.

              For an alternative...not gardenia, but similar vibe - Manoumalia by Les Nez. Fabulously exotic and lush. This would be my personal choice.

              ps - every other perfume labelled "Gardenia" is a sham...all are simply tuberose or less. "Real" gardenia oil is virtually unheard of, which is why no perfumes actually contain it, but I've read that Enfleurage in NYC, who sell oils, have come up with something believable.
              or, if you're ballin', you can try JAR's Jardenia...

              Comment

              • Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006
                • 37852

                #22
                Originally posted by rilu
                hey thanks, Dane, was hoping for your reply :) would gladly try something more interesting, i've just never had a chance since i rarely go around perfume shops. i don't like sweet perfumes, and i somehow never had a chance to smell spices in an interesting way, so can't say what i think of those. some kind of freshness (in contrast to heaviness) is what i find important.
                Maybe you'd like citrusy smells? Anyway, citrus springs to mind when I think of "freshness." Or pine needles.
                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

                StyleZeitgeist Magazine

                Comment

                • Dane
                  HAMMERTIME
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 3252

                  #23
                  Originally posted by J_J View Post
                  or, if you're ballin', you can try JAR's Jardenia...
                  Even I can't justify this one...although I'd kill for a bottle.

                  Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Maybe you'd like citrusy smells? Anyway, citrus springs to mind when I think of "freshness." Or pine needles.
                  Citrus is a good idea...Bergamote from The Different Company is my personal fav.
                  i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

                  Comment

                  • Dane
                    HAMMERTIME
                    • Feb 2011
                    • 3252

                    #24
                    There is no expiry date if properly stored. I have perfumes that are older than my parents and they smell fine.

                    Light is the biggest enemy...then heat...then dampness/extreme temperature changes (that create condensation).
                    i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

                    Comment

                    • Ahimsa
                      Vegan Police
                      • Sep 2011
                      • 1879

                      #25
                      Originally posted by rilu
                      I'd like a suggestion for a perfume - I'm not at all familiar with the whole variety of them, and from what I've had a chance to test, Jil Sander Pure has been my favorite one. Any tips for what I could try?

                      p.s.
                      Got recently a sample of the new MMM one and while at first it seemed all right, a bit soapy but still fresh, staying close to skin, after a while I've realized I don't like it at all. Reminds me too much of soap and it's just not exciting.
                      I'm just going to recommend Le Labo partially because they're entirely vegan, but mostly because they (I think anyway) smell incredible..that and they don't agitate my nose. Made to order and labeled with your name. You can order samples for about $5 a pop.(that's with shipping included in Eco-packaging :) ) They have stores in Paris and Amsterdam if you wanna check it out in person.
                      They also offer a Bergamote as was recommended by the other helpful fellows above.
                      Their stuff is most definitely contrasted by the way (Quite unisex). The named scent isn't always easy to detect as they can be surrounded by a plethora of others.

                      As to attest to what Dane mentioned about shelf life...apparently Lubin just recreated Marie Antoinette's perfume with the help of old notes and a secretly stored bottle. Some people do refrigerate perfumes to keep them fresher too.
                      StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

                      Comment

                      • Dane
                        HAMMERTIME
                        • Feb 2011
                        • 3252

                        #26
                        Originally posted by rilu
                        ^ Thanks for this suggestion Ahimsa! I might order some samples to check these ones out :)
                        Dane, what do you think, given my preferences for fresh, but not overly unisex smells? Worth trying?
                        I'm quite partial to Bergamote 22 and Iris 39, but the line is worth trying. A few of them are duds, and they're overpriced, but what isn't these days. I mentioned in the boy's thread that they make a bath/massage oil that is reasonably priced and heavily scented, so that's always an option if funds are limited.
                        i traded my LUC jeans + Julius belt + Neil Barrett jeans for a blamain biker jeans

                        Comment

                        • Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006
                          • 37852

                          #27
                          Rilu, since you are in Europe, you should just walk into an L'Artisan Perfumer boutique and try stuff there. So many good scents. Or to Santa Marian Novella - they have a store in Antwerp (not sure if L'AP does, but they might). I agree that Le Labo is overpriced but I also like Bergamote 22.
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

                          StyleZeitgeist Magazine

                          Comment

                          • Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006
                            • 37852

                            #28
                            Also, in a very new tradition, L'Artisan Perfumer has started to put some scents on sale - so you can get something really affordable and good now that the sales have started.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

                            StyleZeitgeist Magazine

                            Comment

                            • Lypophrenia
                              Junior Member
                              • Dec 2011
                              • 9

                              #29
                              My favorite perfume ever was Yohji from 1996. Sadly I can't find it anymore. Except ebay but I don't trust ebay so I just have this tiny bit left in a bottle and sometimes like to smell it haha
                              Recently I've been using Diptyque Philosykos.
                              Last edited by Lypophrenia; 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM.

                              Comment

                              • Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006
                                • 37852

                                #30
                                I still have and use it! Love the scent.
                                Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

                                StyleZeitgeist Magazine

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎