X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tweeds
    • Sep 2006

132 5. Issey Miyake

Anyone heard more details, or has seen the showcase?

“132 5. ISSEY MIYAKE” ― Born from a union between mathematics and clothes making.

In 2010, we will present a new project: “132 5. ISSEY MIYAKE”, based upon one of the latest developments from the Reality Lab. team’s ongoing research. “132 5. ISSEY MIYAKE” continues the exploration into the process of creation and production and offers a new process being developed at the Miyake Design Studio.

A conversation with computer scientist Jun Mitani, a researcher of mathematical methods by which to create three-dimensional structures through the folding of flat paper.

A single piece of cloth is folded into a square. When one grasps the top of the folded square and pulls it upwards, a three-dimensional shape is revealed. The shape, in this case, an item of clothing, is produced by the folds and determined by all acute angles and triangles that make up the structure.

A total of ten basic patterns (i.e. forms when folded) become shirts, skirts, pants, and one-piece dresses depending on the cut-lines in different positions. There are many other variations of the clothes created by different sizes of the same shapes and different combinations of shapes.

In the autumn of 2010, ISSEY MIYAKE’s Reality Lab. will present “132 5. ISSEY MIYAKE”. Reality Lab. is a research and development team lead by Issey Miyake and two staff members, Manabu Kikuchi (textile engineer) and Sachiko Yamamoto (pattern engineer) and comprised of a group of designers, some of whom are young and relatively new to the Miyake Design Studio.

SITE | TWITTER
  • tweeds
    • Sep 2006

Flat forms:

Last edited by tweeds; 10-06-2010, 09:06 AM.
    SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• tweeds
      • Sep 2006

132 5. ― The meaning behind the numbers

The name, 132 5. was born from the above-mentioned process. Each of the numerals has a special significance. The numeral “1” refers to a single piece of cloth, while “3” refers to its three-dimensional shape. The following “2” comes from the fact that a 3D piece of material is folded into a two-dimensional shape, and the “5” separated by a single space refers to the time between when the folded forms are made and people actually put them on, giving birth to clothing. The numeral “5” also signifies our hope that this idea will have many other permutations.
      All from: http://www.dezeen.com/2010/10/05/132-5-by-issey-miyake/
      SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• tweeds
        • Sep 2006

Paris showroom photos:

(WWD via http://www.designobserver.com/change...ml?entry=15558)
        SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• whitney
          • Dec 2009

no I haven't but thank you for sharing tweeds!

even the shoes have an origami look, love the concept, would love to see in person..
          you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Does he have the best playground in the world or what?
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• droogist
              • Sep 2006

COOL. And unlike a lot of the A-POC stuff, the clothes actually look pretty stylish.

Comment

• kompressorkev
                • Dec 2006

awesome..thanks for posting tweeds! i really love this stuff. ^agreed, it's not just conceptual but it looks quite nice on the body too.

reminds me of another Japanese dressmaker in Tokyo who had some really amazing concepts with geometry, mathematics, and physics (zero-gravity stuff, not so much a gimmick as an interdisciplinary experiment)..was in contact with her a bit, unfortunately i never got to see it in person but it's possible that it's coming stateside soon. i'll post a thread of her work when i can. but meanwhile, going to read up more about this Issey project!

Comment

• tweeds
                  • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                  Does he have the best playground in the world or what?
                  Pretty much, him and Chalayan both...
                  SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• kuugaia
                    • Feb 2010

This is awesome for people who never have enough luggage space.

But in all seriousness, very interested to see this line progress. Thank you for sharing this!

Comment

• endersgame
                      • Aug 2009

i've met him one time at an event. i was very anxious but he was a very cool cat. took the time to stop and smell the flowers, literally..

Comment

• Avantster
                        ¤¤¤
                        • Sep 2006

Very interesting, thanks for posting tweeds.
                        let us raise a toast to ancient cotton, rotten voile, gloomy silk, slick carf, decayed goat, inflamed ram, sooty nelton, stifling silk, lazy sheep, bone-dry broad & skinny baffalo.

Comment

• ronin
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by droogist View Post
                          COOL. And unlike a lot of the A-POC stuff, the clothes actually look pretty stylish.
                          So true. Despite liking the idea, I've never come to actually liking A-POC clothes.

This looks great from the pictures. I like the interactivity, and that this line will create the possibility of creation instead of fully created garments. All the possibilities remain untill the wearer has decided to make the final cut. That's both fun and beautiful.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

I just unearthed this thread by accident. I did go see the launch of this line in the fall at the Tribeca boutique. It's pretty challenging in terms of wearability, but the concept is very interesting. Here is my report - I suppose most of you can't read it, but you can look at the photos.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• surver
                              • Oct 2007

seems like one of those "conceptually very interesting but actually doesn't quite pull it off in actual wear" kinda things... issey's used to be one of my favourite creators (as opposed to 'designer'); i think he is truely one of the great 'innovators' in the fashion industry... but unfortunately the brand basically lost its edge when he passed it on to protoges.

this new project seems to be trying to rehash/revive old ideas but fall short when translated onto the actual female body... is it only me or the 'clothes' look terrible on the models? alas, the pleats series/explorations were brilliantly original and inspiring... but this 132.5 stuff seem very forced and trying too hard...

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎