Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vapidly
    • Dec 2007

Where are you located? If you just want to send it to a dyer, it'd be a lot less of a hassle, a little more and almost guaranteed results (if you use a reputable dyer)

Comment

• nostromodo
      • Jan 2011

Ok, then U know where is a reputable dyer in NYC???
      I would like to dye a shoe and jacket so, it would be apprciated if you let me know where it is.

Comment

• docus
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
        I think this has been answered before, but I couldn't find it... What about wool?

I bought a beautiful dark navy Ann coat made of 100% wool. I haven't received it yet, but I think it would look much better black. is such an endeavor feasible?
        You can definitely dye wool, but you need to be aware that it's likely to shrink a bit. How much depends on the type of wool and the temperature. Also, you'd need quite a bit of dye to do a coat (although it's navy so already quite dark).

Comment

• lost53
          • Dec 2010

Just donned my rubber gloves... some warm water and a bag of Dylon...
          hopefully an old cashmere/cotton scarf will become blacker than a ninja in black on a moonless night, deep down and dirty in a crevasse.

Comment

• orphée
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by docus View Post
            You can definitely dye wool, but you need to be aware that it's likely to shrink a bit. How much depends on the type of wool and the temperature. Also, you'd need quite a bit of dye to do a coat (although it's navy so already quite dark).
            Any experience with dying boiled wool? Since it's already shrunken in the boiling process, I would assume that dying it would do no harm...but I'm still afraid to take that big step. Anyone?

Comment

• lost53
              • Dec 2010

My light blue scarf, is now a deep, rich and beautiful blue... I wanted it black!
              The packet said black.. must I do it again? Does anyone have experience with this? I used the Dylon hand wash (velvet black), and because it was only one light garment the I used less water (thinking the mixture should be more concentrated) than the pack suggested.

I must say that the scarf was a super soft cotton cashmere mix, and it appears that the fabric is just as soft with a lovely sheen as before.

Comment

• michael_kard
                • Oct 2010

The same thing happened to me with a scarf and a pair of jeans, the dye simply didn't catch.
                ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• docus
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by lost53 View Post
                  My light blue scarf, is now a deep, rich and beautiful blue... I wanted it black!
                  The packet said black.. must I do it again? Does anyone have experience with this? I used the Dylon hand wash (velvet black), and because it was only one light garment the I used less water (thinking the mixture should be more concentrated) than the pack suggested.

I must say that the scarf was a super soft cotton cashmere mix, and it appears that the fabric is just as soft with a lovely sheen as before.
                  My girlfriend is a knitwear designer with years of experience, so I have asked her. She says that wool is very fibrous and much more absorbant than other materials - so, a lot of the dye will soak into the centre of the yarn, colouring the many twisted inner fibres, when of course you mainly want it to adhere to the outside! Conclusion - you need to use more dye when dyeing wool.

Also, check whether it's 100% wool, since certain other fibres in the mix, e.g. polyester, won't dye.

Comment

• lost53
                    • Dec 2010

^Thanks for that. ^

The scarf is a cotton cashmere mix. If I do the process again, can I expect a black scarf? Cheers!

Comment

• docus
                      • Dec 2010

Cotton and cashmere should both take dye with no problems. Whether the scarf will be black or not after dyeing it again depends on:

1.) the temperature of the water (the hotter the water the better the dye will take, but too much heat will make the scarf shrink and possibly felt)

2.) the amount of water

3.) the quantity of dye used

4.) the weight of the scarf

From here I couldn't say how those factors would balance up.

Comment

• lost53
                        • Dec 2010

better get the rubber gloves out...!!
                        Thanks for the info

Comment

• Zenith
                          • Jun 2009

Has anyone tried to dye a cotton/poly blend? The cotton I assume will take up the dye...but the polyester would not. Any luck with such a blend?

Comment

• Acid, Bitter and Sad
                            • Mar 2007

DYLON Velvet Black Fabric Dye

wonderful product, pretty easy and straightforward directions.
                            dyed a dark-colored cotton shirt, came out a beautiful black, no blue hues/undertones.
                            it's just like owning a new item.

Comment

• messenoire
                              • Nov 2009

l always add a ton of salt to any dye bath to give it that extra kick

Comment

• eton97
                                • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Acid, Bitter and Sad View Post
                                wonderful product, pretty easy and straightforward directions.
                                dyed a dark-colored cotton shirt, came out a beautiful black, no blue hues/undertones.
                                it's just like owning a new item.
                                Big fan of dylon machine wash dye and have used it on many many items.....ma+ jeans, VA pants, numerous tops. Such a great product.
                                I actually experiment a bit with the different colours and mix them.
                                I have used the antique grey many times and highly recommend it for a good dark grey colour.
                                ..... usually find half a sachet gives the best colour without it being too matt/uniform.
                                Also used 50% blue / 50% grey for a good mix.
                                you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎