Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Machine washing and drying a leather jacket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • the breaks
    • Sep 2007

That is one ugly jacket. Each to their own of course, but you might be on the wrong forum. :)
    Suede is too Gucci.

Comment

• jeremy.x.x.x
      • Nov 2011

I washed few leather jacket before, ruined 1 and have found that lamb is the most washable leather. I'd like to wash kangaroo in the future as well. Here is my recipe:

- Oil the jacket one night before
      - Pre-soak the jacket in warm water, if machine wash, only use the biggest front load at laundry shop. When I need to clean the lining, I use baby soap or with some oxyclean (in case for dirty garment) prior machine washing - don't forget to wipe them off as much as possible.
      - When it's done, hang it air-dry (place not too much sunlight) and spray oil or leather conditioner several times for a few days before try on.
      - I also suggest to have some leather dye, several conditioner, leather oil and tanning chem in cases of ugliness.

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

I just completely ruined a garment for the first time... I tried washing my Ann lamb leather in a machine, hoping that it would shrink around 1,5 size. The leather was completely desecrated, and the jacket will now fit my little cousin (aged 5) snuggly. I'm glad I tried this with a garment I did not care much about, but it was a beautiful garment nevertheless and it's a shame it ended so ingloriously. Anyway, I would recommend to everyone to be more patient than me and just dip their jacket in cold water first to see how the leather will react, instead of going for the full warm machine wash.
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• Patroklus
          Banned
          • Feb 2011

wait
          how big is this cousin

Comment

• vitalj
            • Feb 2010

I wash my poor leather jacket in washing machine at 60° and dry it with the sun, the leather become better. The jacket shrink a little bit and fit better, the leather become "smooth" and remove all the shining. I will take picture ASAP.

Comment

• michael_kard
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by sargon97 View Post
              Thinking out loud....Wonder what RO oiled calf would do if hand soaked and air dried. Anyone try it?
              Can anyone confirm if Rick's oiled calf is washable? Don't want to ruin another jacket!
              ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
              Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• CityHunter
                • Apr 2011

I have a red horse leather jacket (John Lawrence Sullivan, if that makes a difference). I'm trying to dull the color a bit well as soften it up WITHOUT shrinking it. Will a cold soak achieve this or is it a hot-soak-or-nothing kind of thing?

Comment

• William Bleak
                  • Feb 2014

I thought you guys'd enjoy this image. Got the jacket at 14, misguided mom bought an XL to make sure it'd still fit when I'd grow up. I'm 22 and 1,93m now and it's still too wide after a 20 minute soak and wash in hot water. Cow leather, biker cut, wax aftercare. I'll post a picture of the done job if anyone is still interested in this topic.

Comment

• Crowzer
                    • Feb 2011

Please resize your picture. It's really heavy.

Comment

• SamsTown
                      • Aug 2013

Washing Rick Owens Stooges Leather

Hey there,

This thread is very helpful, but I had a specific follow up! I have a stooges lamb leather in Dust SZ XL. Its actually not terrible in the shoulders (could be slimmer, but hugs ok), but through the body is loose. I'd like to bring it in, but I'm wondering if anyone has showered/soaked in a jacket?

Comment

• andpgud
                        • Sep 2014

I am new here and own a to big jacket.
                        I have been going through this thread and was wondering about the timing.
                        I hand wash the jacket in hot water
                        Put it in the dryer?

For how long and how hot.

Comment

• andpgud
                          • Sep 2014

Anyone?

Comment

• lowrey
                            ventiundici
                            • Dec 2006

It's pretty much impossible to answer unless someone is familiar with the exact leather type.. There are leathers that get ruined in water, some will shrink and some might not react in any way
                            "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• andpgud
                              • Sep 2014

its a lamb leather all saints jacket

Comment

• byhand
                                • Dec 2011

I've soaked bison shoes in water for 12 hours and then dried them in the sun. Worked. They shrank a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎