X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lowrey
    ventiundici
    • Dec 2006

The United States ranked in the bottom four in the recent United Nations review on child well-being.
    Among 29 wealthy countries, the United States landed second from the last in child poverty and held a similarly poor position in “child life satisfaction.”
    "greatest nation in the world"
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• zamb
      • Nov 2006

Ome of the most powerful and significant piece of writing i have read in a while.......
      “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
      .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• Faust
        kitsch killer
        • Sep 2006

Adorno, Benjamin, the Frankfurt School, and pop culture

Alex Ross on the influence of Walter Benjamin and Theodor Adorno, who had “one of the twentieth century’s richest intellectual conversations.”
        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• malaesthetique
          • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
          Adorno, Benjamin, the Frankfurt School, and pop culture

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/09/15/naysayers
          Coherent and critical, thanks for sharing. I never tire of reading Jameson, Adorno, or Benjamin.

Sadly we wont be entertained by Leland's attempts to co-opt the content of this piece to fit his (false) ontology of conspiracy and new-age metaphysics.

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Can't have it all!

And, you are welcome.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
              kitsch killer
              • Sep 2006

This was absolutely fucking depressing.

How the Internet of Things will fuck everything up.

As human behavior is tracked and merchandized on a massive scale, the Internet of Things creates the perfect conditions to bolster and expand the surveillance state.

Also, do any of you read? Why is it like three people keeping this thread alive?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Magic1
                • Jan 2011

I read all the time, most often books.

A few months old but a goody:

Comment

• trentk
                  • Oct 2010

The author of this article celebrates tangle too much for my taste, but I do definitely think that a dose of it is necessary - in cities of elsewhere.
                  Aeon is a magazine of ideas and culture. We publish in-depth essays from the world's most incisive and ambitious thinkers, and a mix of original and curated videos — free to all.

Also, tech aesthetics suck. I'd love to see a tech company with a more SZ aesthetic. Ethereum fits the bill*. http://aeon.co/magazine/culture/what...uture-of-work/

*see the 30 second opening sequence, especially the part from 0:15-0:24 with the mirrored building and semi-invisible ethereum logo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S47iWiKKvLA
                  "He described this initial impetus as like discovering that they both were looking at the same intriguing specific tropical fish, with attempts to understand it leading to a huge ferocious formalism he characterizes as a shark that leapt out of the tank."

Comment

• galia
                    • Jun 2009

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...-music-in-full

Steve Albini on the surprisingly sturdy state of the music industry – in full

The music producer, Shellac frontman and author of seminal 1993 essay, The Problem with Music, spoke in Melbourne about the advantages of the internet, the death of the major label system, copyright law and that ‘purple dwarf in assless chaps’
                    Last edited by galia; 11-19-2014, 09:01 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                      kitsch killer
                      • Sep 2006

/\ care to tell us what the subject is, or are we supposed to trust in your intellectual infallibility?

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

yeah, because clicking a link from an online newspaper is such a commitment, better be damn sure you're not wasting 2 seconds of your time

Comment

• stagename
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by galia View Post
                          yeah, because clicking a link from an online newspaper is such a commitment, better be damn sure you're not wasting 2 seconds of your time
                          Thanks Galia that's hugely helpful for my new project.

Comment

• Fuuma
                            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by malaesthetique View Post
                            Coherent and critical, thanks for sharing. I never tire of reading Jameson, Adorno, or Benjamin.

Sadly we wont be entertained by Leland's attempts to co-opt the content of this piece to fit his (false) ontology of conspiracy and new-age metaphysics.
                            Like many New Yorker pieces I found it enjoyable but couldn't quite pinpoint the global intention, aside from writing skillfully about something that would arise my interest. In most New Yorker pieces it seems the so-called problematic presented at the start of the article is merely a pretext to get to write a long and enjoyable piece.
                            Selling CCP, Harnden, Raf, Rick etc.
                            http://www.stylezeitgeist.com/forums...me-other-stuff

Comment

• stagename
                              • Oct 2011

A proposal to classify happiness as a psychiatric disorder

dfw's "The Truth With A Whole Lot Of Rhetorical Bullshit Pared Away"

On celebrity brands

This quote for Paper Mag (NFSW)piece on KK:
                              "Her behavior suggests that the key to total ubiquity is giving up all of one's verbal edges and sharp angles (while occasionally tossing out a memorable visual flare: a sex tape, say, or a nude photo shoot).

Social media has created a new kind of fame, and Kardashian is its paragon. It is a fame whose hallmark is agreeable omnipresence, which resembles a kind of evenly spread absence, soothing, tranquil and unobjectionable. "

Soemthing to reflect on in light of the Warg episode: In theory, anyone can contribute to Wikipedia articles and anyone can propose a new policy or rule. In reality, Wikipedia functions as a largely closed community, using procedural knowledge and a sort of passive-aggressive resistance to deter outsiders. Wikipedia’s professed egalitarianism means that status in the outside world, including deep subject expertise, counts for nothing. But an internal hierarchy still exists. Status comes from mastering Wikipedia’s ever-increasing rules, engaging in community debates, and earning a reputation as hardworking. Racking up sheer numbers of edits matters a great deal, and Jemielniak laments that “a thousand minor corrections help raise organizational standing more than creating a perfect one-thousand-word article does.”
                              Last edited by stagename; 11-24-2014, 09:09 AM. Reason: added stuff

Comment

• ryanhast
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                                This was absolutely fucking depressing.

How the Internet of Things will fuck everything up.

As human behavior is tracked and merchandized on a massive scale, the Internet of Things creates the perfect conditions to bolster and expand the surveillance state.

It's funny, I feel I read this same fearful nonsense every time new tech is introduced. How many countless articles just like this have been written over the years? The internet, debit cards, video games, TV, cellphones, the printing press...have all had similar responses.

I would love for my couch to tell me if I have a fever, my house to turn on the air conditioner because it knows I am 10 minutes away in my car, or my car to start warming up in the winter months because I am brushing my teeth in the morning.
                                Imagining my waffle maker hasn't been used in a year and it sends me an email telling me it's lonely, it might make me realize I don't need it.

Funny article, very one sided.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎