• Show
Clear All
  • im_parfait
    Banned
    • Oct 2010

Patent leather ~~~~~> Normal leather?

Hi!

I have a pair of beautiful Bottega Veneta black creeper boots like here:

Although I like this shot I would prefer to make this gloss a history.

Are there any ways to get rid of it without completely deeteriorating the lether?
  • dmash
    • Jun 2011

I'm pretty sure that's not possible...

Comment

• gavagai
      • May 2010

sand paper if you are looking for a sueded look.

Comment

• whitney
        • Dec 2009

i can't see the pictures, but depends on what type of patent leather and finish..and how thick the leather underneath, if substantial enough to withstand separation of the two.

i've seen patent leather crack away.

steaming it so it separates is another possibility.

also maybe cos alcohol tends to dull the shine..nail polish remover..or sandpaper as gavagai suggests.
        you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

• dmash
          • Jun 2011

Originally posted by gavagai View Post
          sand paper if you are looking for a sueded look.
          Yeah, this definitely......I thought OP meant patent leather to just regular smooth leather without the gloss.

Comment

• mnml crmnl
            • Dec 2009

fine grit dreml tool and heat gun

Comment

• messenoire
              • Nov 2009

i feel like i wouldnt try to alter the Bottega Veneta creepers and just sell them off and buy something that suits your tastes better. the creeper sole seems to be all over boots for fw11.

Comment

• nadir
                • May 2011

It's pretty impossible to remove the patent-ness from the leather. Cheaper leathers will be done using plastic, but I expect yours are more traditional and use linseed oil. Problem is that it's basically baked on and ground down in between each coat, so you won't be able to remove it without removing the top layer of the leather turning it into a suede-like texture. Best avoided I think.

Comment

• nadir
                  • May 2011

Although if you do find out a way of doing it please post it here! Patent leather is something I'd rather see consigned to the past in almost all cases.

Originally posted by nadir View Post
                  It's pretty impossible to remove the patent-ness from the leather. Cheaper leathers will be done using plastic, but I expect yours are more traditional and use linseed oil. Problem is that it's basically baked on and ground down in between each coat, so you won't be able to remove it without removing the top layer of the leather turning it into a suede-like texture. Best avoided I think.

Comment

• im_parfait
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2010

Originally posted by dmash View Post
                    Yeah, this definitely......I thought OP meant patent leather to just regular smooth leather without the gloss.
                    Exactly!:) I like destroyed leather look but suede shoes are unusable in Russia during winter - roads and boardwalks are treater with tons of chemicals..

Originally posted by mnml crmnl View Post
                    fine grit dreml tool and heat gun
                    Heat gun? Don't you think it will destroy the leather? Have you already done this?

Originally posted by whitney View Post
                    also maybe cos alcohol tends to dull the shine..nail polish remover..or sandpaper as gavagai suggests.
                    I'm more inclined to try something like alcohol. I remember a friend of mine complaining about his patent Dr.Martens becoming dull after he treated them by mistake with (!) shoe deodorant instead of polish (weird friend))

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
                    i feel like i wouldnt try to alter the Bottega Veneta creepers and just sell them off and buy something that suits your tastes better. the creeper sole seems to be all over boots for fw11.
                    I know this but 1) I like these creepers a lot thanks to their really heavy leather soles - most other creeper shoes (or even all of them) have rubber sole.

Originally posted by nadir View Post
                    It's pretty impossible to remove the patent-ness from the leather.
                    In this case I will only wear them during moon- and starless nights so that nobody (incl. me) see them :)

Thanks everyone for the advice! I beleive I'll try somethink one of these days and will inform you of the results

Comment

• Aleks
                      • Feb 2009

buy a piece of leather to do samples with first!
                      go to a leather supplier and bring your shoes, ask then for a sample of leather

if you can't do that go to value village
                      Last edited by Aleks; 09-04-2011, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• im_parfait
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2010

And the winner is...sandpaper!

Nothing else helped - probably due to the high quality of the patent-ness, as nadir supposed.

So I took sandpaper with "2000" grade and took the upper layer off - the leather has lost most of its color but has not become distress at all, and after a good amount of shoe polish it became just as I expected. Will try to post pics later.

Thank you for your help!

Comment

• michael_kard
                          • Oct 2010

Looking forward to detailed photos.
                          ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
                          Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎