No announcement yet.

DIY step by step: Ann Demeulemeester corset belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think you need to separate the straps even further towards the middle so they fall in a les squared manner if you wear it unbuckled.

Comment

• nadir
      • May 2011

I agree with Heirloom here. Having said that, this, like your other work, shows impeccable attention to detail. Impressive.

Comment

• marc1975
        • Dec 2010

@lowrey:
        10 years ago, I was stick thin, so it would have fitted much better - I agree to that point. I also try to lose some weight, but unfortunately, you cannot influence where you are losing it.
        In addition, the T-shirt might not be the best thing to wear it with, I was rather thinking about a longer white shirt, that doesn't cling to the body as the T-Shirt does. This might change the look a bit.

Although I agree to the point that this is definitely something more suited towards women, I don't want to limit myself only because people aren't used to seeing certain things. Many, many people say that skirts look awkward on men nowadays. Back in 1850, men told women that they look awkward in pants. I wonder whether the awkwardness is (at least partly) caused by the fact that this is something new that you would traditionally see more on women.

@Heirloom:
        True, that's what I noticed as well. If I were to do a second version of it, I would either choose even thicker leather or make the straps a little wider than they are currently (current = 1 inch, I would make them 1.18 inch or more).

Comment

• lowrey
          ventiundici
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by marc1975 View Post
          Although I agree to the point that this is definitely something more suited towards women, I don't want to limit myself only because people aren't used to seeing certain things. Many, many people say that skirts look awkward on men nowadays. Back in 1850, men told women that they look awkward in pants. I wonder whether the awkwardness is (at least partly) caused by the fact that this is something new that you would traditionally see more on women.
          just to be clear, I was considering strictly from a visual perspective, not a social one (whether men should or shouldn't wear something). visually speaking, I don't think there is as big of a difference in how skirts look on men and women in terms of physique, hence why I don't see a problem with skirts on men. but a corset is largely related to the upper body figure, its not necessarily about weight, men just typically don't have a figure on which a corset looks very flattering wheras on women it usually emphasises an hourglass figure. hence why I think 99.9% of men would have trouble pulling of this piece and not look awkward. imo, of course.
          "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

Comment

• curiouscharles
            • Jan 2008

I find myself agreeing with Lowrey on this one - your work here is unquestionably commendable, but I'm having a very difficult time seeing how you will be able to pull this off in the real-world.

Now, that is after seeing it worn awkwardly over a t-shirt & jeans - if you can layer this as a corset would have been (essentially worn as an undergarment, with some bits strategically styled to show through in tastefully moderate proportions) you could really work this.

However, I do keep coming back to what Lowrey said about figure, and whether he was commenting on social norms or not, there's a certain amount of effeminate allowance we reserve for skinny, oestrogen-heavy boys - making such a garment easier for them to pull off; whereas you seem to have quite an average working man's figure, one which developed over the course of the twentieth century alongside jeans, t-shirts, the hiking boot, and beer commercials.

Would be great if you could update us with some properly styled full-looks with this piece in action.

Either way, congratulations, great work.

-

Comment

• darkbydesign
              • Sep 2010

All depends on your style.

I'd wear the hell out of that and I'm a dude. The only reason I don't own the piece is that it's runs high as hell on Ebay and just isn't worth it to me. Here in San Francisco that'd be tame.

Since this is a thread about construction and not about what looks good on a man versus a woman, I'd say I do agree with lowrey and Heirloom that you should cut deeper into the leather the lower you go down the torso. This way you'll get a better body figure. I think the back looks fantastic the way it is. I've always wanted to take this thing, wear it under a nice formal jacket, cut invisible slits in the back sides of the jacket and then pull the straps through so that you could only see the back on the exterior of the jacket. It would be pretty great.

Anyhow, looks good to me and personally I think it's cool that you are into wearing edgier Ann pieces, without looking like a twig.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎