• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Duneyk
    • Jul 2010

Home : Help!

Hello people,
    I'm not sure if i got this post in the right section, but here goes.

Recently for my school assignment I was tasked with making a publication under the theme 'Home'. As the definition of home varies from personal points of view - it would be interesting to hear thoughts or perspectives from different people around the globe.

Furthermore, I have to admit that I'm quite lost around the topic itself. Imo it has such a broad scope that anything goes, and no matter the amount of mind maps and whatnot it still remains undefined throughout.

If anyone has any ideas on how I should go about executing it, I would be most grateful.

:)
  • tron
    • Dec 2010

I was actually assigned an identical assignment during my first semester.
    Being such an open concept you can really do whatever you want. Home can be interpreted as a state of mind or feeling so you could do something with objects that remind you of home / make you feel at home. You could do something to do with your home's physical location or even the many homes you've surely lived in throughout your life. If you wanted it to relate to clothing somehow might I suggest doing something with fabrics that you feel especially comfortable in. Hopefully this helps a bit, good luck!
    "I think perfection is ugly. Somewhere in the things humans make, I want to see scars, failure, disorder, distortion."

Comment

• Ochre
      • Sep 2009

Some artists to get you started

Rachel Whiteread

Do Ho Suh

Toba Khedoori

Comment

• Aleks
        • Feb 2009

re: rachel whiteread house

http://sketchbookinthecity.blogspot....1_archive.html

Comment

• Ochre
          • Sep 2009

Since its establishment more than two decades ago Lehmann Maupin has identified and cultivated the careers of an international roster of visionary and historically significant artists.

Comment

• Duneyk
            • Jul 2010

Tron: Thank you for your suggestions, esp home being intepreted as a feeling. I initially wanted to link it to my wardrobe/shoes, and the craft I do from time to time, but my ideas have been so far axed down by the lecturer.

Ochre: Much gratitude for linking Do Ho Suh's home within a home - the picture where it shows the back view of the house is impressive, I was toying with the idea of having home represented by walking into nothingness, as a state of mind where you just shut off the minute you step into 'home'

Aleks: The summary on Rachel Whiteread's house is excellent, the part whereby Doreen Masey talks about the spaces we construct out of social interaction.

I like the idea where home is something we construct, its the control over what we experience/what we cook is what we eat/cook shit/eat shit. I'm settling down on the idea of boredom: Coming home, feeling bored, having chores to do, work to complete, but still doing nothing and looking for something new to do.

It's like a book on 50 Useless Things to do, but I think the title would need much rephrasing there.

Content wise would be perhaps running around taking photos of common everyday objects/sights and reinterpreting them in whatever way I so please to do - Like how your home is something you build for yourself, life as how you interpret it. " You're only bored cause you're boring "

However, I think there is much to be refined in the idea though.

What say you? :)

Comment

• tweeds
              • Sep 2006

Good eyes Ochre, Suh and Whiteread are good starting points. Someone else to consider, perhaps, is Gordon Matta-Clark:

SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• MetroBulotDodo
                • Oct 2010

Tweeds,

I love the idea of entering this project by first challenging the concept of "home" vis Matta-Clark.

As for this project, I see a great potential in tying it to the political (following an discussion on Aesthetics and Politics in the philosophy thread.) Given our current obsession with security studies and our (that is, the US) ongoing occupation of Others' homes, I think it would be fascinating to approach the concept by completely de-stablizing a Western (culturally constructed) category of "home."

I was thinking (as usual) of a favorite publication of mine published by MunichRe (reinsurers) called "Schadenspiegel," which, through case studies, examines the theme of risk and disaster in the contemporary world. The archetypal disaster tends to be on a grand scale, but I was thinking back to examples analyzing how art thieves were able to break into certain homes and explanation that demonstrates how we exist in a perpetual state of insecurity surrounding our homes. What about the mortgage crisis in the US and the real estate crises in Spain and Ireland that have shaken the EU? Images of Detroit?

I think there is a lot of potential to make this a much more sophisticated project than one that focuses only on the subjective - specifically, you -- and the experiential, phenomenological experience of "home," which is what everyone else will be doing.

Cheers,

MBD
                "To articulate what is past does not mean to recognize 'how it really was.'
                It means to take control of a memory, as it flashes in a moment of danger."

-Walter Benjamin. Thesis VI, Theses on the Philosophy of History
                My rarities and quotidian garments for sale thread. My tumblr and eBay page.

Comment

• tweeds
                  • Sep 2006

And taking that relation of home-security & running (ostentatiously?) with it:

located on the outskirts of warsaw, poland, 'safe house' by katowice-based architectural office KWK promes is a two-storey residential house.
                  SITE | TWITTER

Comment

• whitney
                    • Dec 2009

i don’t think as complex as some of you; to me a home is something very fundamental in many aspects. it is a place where i can do what i want, when i want, away from prying eyes--unless i invite them in. doesn’t it feel like a lot of times we put on a face that is not superficial but its not really who we are at core? its more or less expected that we act a certain way, talk a certain way..even dress a certain way when we are sharing public space. some push that limit more so then others but everyone holds back something; even if its just a nanometer, when they are outside the comforts of their home.

i do know that there are a lot of material things i can lose and not lose sleep over; but my house key is definitely not one of them. i’ll walk out of my house without my cell phone or a wallet before i walk out without the key. To me the way into my home, the key, is just as important as my identification papers (birth certificate, passport, etc)

everything else can be re-brought, replaced or i can survive without.

obviously you can still get into a house without the key but its the symbolism--for me.

and yes, the house is my home.
                    you stole my signature :insert mad face:

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎