Clear All
  • galia
    • Jun 2009

me too

Comment

• MikeN
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by DudleyGray View Post
      That's pretty much my ritual, a small piece after lunch or dinner. My life revolves around little rituals, like changing into loungewear after work or handrolling a cigarette before bed. Stuff that keeps me moving forward from one mundane moment to the next, I find a lot of comfort in routine pleasures.

Comment

• ahn
        • Jul 2012

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
        I lol'd
        It sounds funny but it's true...

Hoebel has shown that rats eating large amounts of sugar when hungry, a phenomenon he describes as sugar-bingeing, undergo neurochemical changes in the brain that appear to mimic those produced by substances of abuse, including cocaine, morphine and nicotine.
        some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• MoFiya
          • Sep 2007

Yeah ... essentially, you can say everything rewarding to some extent mimics the reaction that cocaine triggers. Because our reward system is dopamine based. But that argument isn't valid for the amounts of chocolate we're talking about. People suffering food addiction have issues with food-induced dopamine release, not us. You can't compare eating half a bar of chocolate to snorting a line of blow.
          I have dreams of orca whales and owls
          But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• ahn
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by MoFiya View Post
            Yeah ... essentially, you can say everything rewarding to some extent mimics the reaction that cocaine triggers. Because our reward system is dopamine based. But that argument isn't valid for the amounts of chocolate we're talking about. People suffering food addiction have issues with food-induced dopamine release, not us. You can't compare eating half a bar of chocolate to snorting a line of blow.
            Absolutely not!

Back on topic, I also recently stumbled across this Melbourne-based, Mexican-inspired chocolatier... lower percentage of cacao but free of cane sugar (sweetened with coconut sugar) and some really unsual flavours like prickly pear and lime. There's a stockist very nearby, I might have to go purchase some and report back. You know... for science.

some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• MoFiya
              • Sep 2007

But remember to take care of your tolerance! ;-)
              I have dreams of orca whales and owls
              But I wake up in fear

BBS for sale (Sz 48-52)

Comment

• DudleyGray
                • Jul 2013

I'm on to Mast Brothers, and apparently they aren't well liked in the chocolate community:

Beards. If you’ve heard of the Mast brothers, that’s probably the first word you came across, even before chocolate. Yes, Rick and Michael Mast make...

I'm not experienced to know the difference or invested enough to care that much, though. I'm currently on their Madagascar bar, and it's very good, smooth with fruity notes, like blueberry. I didn't notice the chalkiness they mention in that article, but it's not exotic and extra special in the way that the virgin chocolate bar from Raaka was. It doesn't really do better than Madecasse but costs considerably more.

I think I'm going to eventually try and hunt down some Rogue for the next batch. Also, a nice resource linked from that article on bean-to-bar makers (by US state) and retailers (US/Canada/UK/Other):

Updated May 31, 2016 All this talk of bean-to-bar craft chocolate in the media recently, and you keep wondering: where do I buy bean-to-...

I guess you Melbourne people have Chocolate Journey.
                bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

$9 for a chocolate bar. They have figured out the RO t-shirt equivalent of chocolate. The chocolate is good though.
                  Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eleves
                    • Sep 2012

Still haven't tried Mast yet, guess it's about time though. My favorite chocolate at the moment is Royce (Japan) but I also have no idea what the difference between good and bad chocolate is!
                    Originally posted by Faust
                    HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• david s
                      • Jul 2010

jean-paul hévin is pretty decent

the actual chocolate (as opposed to bake goods) I like because it seems to have a higher concentration of cocoa and less sugar, if you like your chocolate on the less sweet side

store just reopened on rue de bretagne
                      It's absolutely Hedious!
                      shy poser

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by eleves View Post
                        Still haven't tried Mast yet, guess it's about time though. My favorite chocolate at the moment is Royce (Japan) but I also have no idea what the difference between good and bad chocolate is!
                        If you can go to their store in Wburg. You can sample everything.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• snafu
                          • Apr 2008

Crazy stuff in here,

I have had mastbrothers, they are good but call me crazy paying ccp prices but i still aint paying £7-8 for a chocolate bar...

Twix, Bueno, Peanut M&M's any day ... or if I'm abroad Dulpo all the way!!! Saying that i eat chocolate less than once a month.

However if your around Hostem walk down the road and maybe try their Hot Chocolate people seem to go crazy for that stuff.

Comment

• DudleyGray
                            • Jul 2013

Haha, are we really discussing pricing difference of $5 on this forum? It's a pack of cigarettes in some places.
                            bandcamp | facebook | youtube

Comment

• bukka
                              • Sep 2011

^
                              Where do you find cigarettes that cheap?
                              9$ for a chocolate bar doesn't seem too spectacular, or I'm just used to Swiss pricing...
                              Eternity is in love with the productions of time

Comment

• Chinorlz
                                • Sep 2006

Personally I love the Kinder Pingui for my chocolate fix. Damn... I'm both happy and sad you can't seem to get them stateside. I'd be fat as hell.
                                www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎