• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

Quality of Life

So, I was thinking about the things that have improved my quality of life in the past year (excluding StyleZeitgeist ), and I thought that we could use a thread where we share these things in the hope of sharing ideas. Our own Lifehacker, so to speak.

My list:

A bicycle (for getting around the hood)
    Zipcar (cheaper than having a car)
    Citibank mobile check deposit (fewer trips to the bank)
    iTunes U app (increased knowledge)
    Bus NYC app (schedule, service alerts)
    Humidifier (a NYC-must)
    Geneva Sound Model S (alleviates kitchen chores)

I am also looking forward to New York's bicycle sharing program, a la Velib in Paris. This should be especially great for getting crosstown in Manhattan. NYC buses are insufferable.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine
  • Fade to Black
    • Sep 2008

Hong Kong Central Library - 10th floor Arts Reference section (it ain't the best, but it's free and what we got here)
    Oil paint (Winsor & Newton - Payne's Gray)
    Color Six photo lab
    www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• blacktulip
      • Nov 2011

Nice idea!

A Vitamix (for smoothies and frozen banana-based "ice cream").
      Futon bedding made to measure (height and weight) by a Japanese master.
      Eat & Joy Maatilatori Helsinki "local food" concept store (was lost for words in describing this - to my knowledge its the first of its kind worldwide - perhaps there are some Italian antecedents).
      The increasingly competitive proliferation of good cafes in this town.
      Evernote might be something else for this list, but it's early days for me as yet.
      "Silicon is a gas"

Comment

• chandler
        • Jan 2011

a good espresso machine and learning how to use it (including all the ritualistic aspects of making an espresso for me and latte for the wife)

SZ magazine!

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by blacktulip View Post
          Nice idea!

A Vitamix (for smoothies and frozen banana-based "ice cream").
          Futon bedding made to measure (height and weight) by a Japanese master.
          Eat & Joy Maatilatori Helsinki "local food" concept store (was lost for words in describing this - to my knowledge its the first of its kind worldwide - perhaps there are some Italian antecedents).
          The increasingly competitive proliferation of good cafes in this town.
          Evernote might be something else for this list, but it's early days for me as yet.
          I've been to the small store - it's very nice (so expensive!). Is the big one new?
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• jippos
            • Mar 2007

Hot water dispenser has changed my life. I'm a big tea drinker, but always found it a bit of a hassle to boil, etc. On my first trip to Japan over 10 years ago, I was blown away by the dispenser in the hotel, and when I got back home, I found one in a Japanese goods store (now they're widely available). I'm continually surprised by how much I use it, and I drink waaaay more tea now than I used to; so simple, easy, and one of those things I can't imagine living without.

Of course, this is old hat to most of you, but if it isn't, I highly, highly recommend one. We've even got one at work now, and tossed out the old electric kettle.

Comment

• theetruscan
              • Jan 2008

Handful of things in the last year. I'm sure I'm missing quite a bit, but this is my best list right now:

Bi-rite market.
              Crossfit
              Bicycle commuting
              A very good mattress
              Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• jippos
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by theetruscan View Post
                Handful of things in the last year. I'm sure I'm missing quite a bit, but this is my best list right now:

Bi-rite market.
                Crossfit
                Bicycle commuting
                A very good mattress
                I'm at Bi-Rite every chance I get; what an incredible grocery store. I'm hoping that this ( http://www.salumeriasf.com/ ) will be another similar option, mainly 'cause parking is sure to be a tiny bit better.

As for the "very good mattress", if you don't mind, what do you have, or what options did you look at? We really need to find a new one; it sucks waking up with a sore back every morning.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

Be a true baller and buy a Hastings!

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• blacktulip
                    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                    I've been to the small store - it's very nice (so expensive!). Is the big one new?
                    Yes, in the Kluuvi centre. It's mad... they have a small restaurant serving lunches and "Finnish pizza" in the evenings; fish (some smoked on site), cheese and meat counters (the latter staffed by a legendary chef who has championed local produce for years); a bakery; a veg cellar with ambient music for plants playing; a cafe built around the milk of Eastern Finncattle. They've gone all out.
                    "Silicon is a gas"

Comment

• theetruscan
                      • Jan 2008

Salumeria is a very different thing. I don't go through much charcuterie, but what they have should be good (preview nights were promising).

I tried a lot of mattresses (napped or slept on them), including a ridiculously expensive Hastings mattress with horse hair and stuff in it, the tempurpedic, and some McRoskey Airflex. I settled on an alpine mattress from European Sleepworks in Berkeley. I can't express how happy I am with it. They probably won't sell you one unless you go in, but it's worth the time or trip.
                      Hobo: We all dress up. We all put on our armour before we walk out the door, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that we’re trying to be someone else.

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by blacktulip View Post
                        Yes, in the Kluuvi centre. It's mad... they have a small restaurant serving lunches and "Finnish pizza" in the evenings; fish (some smoked on site), cheese and meat counters (the latter staffed by a legendary chef who has championed local produce for years); a bakery; a veg cellar with ambient music for plants playing; a cafe built around the milk of Eastern Finncattle. They've gone all out.
                        Looking forward to visiting that one this summer.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• blacktulip
                          • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                          Looking forward to visiting that one this summer.
                          Check out this place too: http://goodlifecoffee.fi/
                          "Silicon is a gas"

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

Cool, thanks. PM with any other recommendations.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

new vacuum cleaner.

a good sewing machine

daring to let go in a new relationship

sleeping til I wake up by myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢