Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ittalidaa
    • Aug 2009

Some of the layering (esp the orange pieces) reminded me of Martine Sitbon circa mid to late 90s meets Helmut 'Felix the Cat' Lang Summer 2003.

I am just relieved that they moved on from being Rick Owens-lite. It's a pretty safe collection. I'm a huge Helmut Lang Helmut Lang fan and I'm pretty okay with how the entire collection looks.

PS: Loving the use of "Helmut Lang". :)
    http://cotonblanc.tumblr.com http://lacollectionneuse.tumblr.com

Comment

• Rosenrot
      • Aug 2010

This is another American sportswear collection I won't be able to differentiate from the rest, not to mention it'll be so easily copied by high street stores. At least when they were doing drapey shit I could tell they were Helmut Lang.
      Originally posted by Patroklus
      Better too adventurous than not enough
      everyone should strive towards ballsiness

Comment

• mrbeuys
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        /\ Hmm, I highly doubt that the average Helmut Lang customer knows who Thomas Hopper is.
        hang on, this is actually Hooper? Uhm, good for him I guess and... WTF?
        Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• sissyleaks
          • Dec 2011

What i absolutely love is how these clothes look cheap even on camera. Id hate to think how bad they look in person. Im only talking about the quality here.... Helmut used to have a really high standard...

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by mrbeuys View Post
            hang on, this is actually Hooper? Uhm, good for him I guess and... WTF?
            LOL, I don't know, but that's what AKANYC said. And you know he knows his tats.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TheThief
              • Mar 2011

Hopefully this doesnt result in a situation where someone with a Hooper sleeve gets stopped on the street by a 19year old fashionista to comment "is that a Hooper tattoo? Doesnt he work for HL? That's so awesome!!"

Mind you, this doesnt change my want for a Hooper tattoo

Comment

• mrbeuys
                • May 2008

Originally posted by TheThief View Post
                Likewise.
                Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• LupinTheFourth
                  • Aug 2009

Je ne m'attendais pas à grand chose mais ce que je vois ici, c'est des conneries.

Meh; Judging by the pics the collection had 'a(.) wang' written over it. a wang with no balls.*

Too-friggin'-sporty and it looks the same that their 'new clientele'** would buy from any other NYFW brand.
                  But I think the big bosses are happy because I think this stuff will probably sell like hot cakes. Dull-sport-chiq is a goldmine.

Different from old-new HL but not really any better.
                  I see a bunch of references to OG stuff, but looks to me that it has been put through a filter that was highly NYFW-fied.
                  I can't help to wonder if they'd be given a good dose of acid, a bunch of old HL ads and then told to 'capture some of those vibes but your way and within the guidelines' would it be more interesting?

We'll never know..

*(not that wang's stuff is ballsy..)
                  **Take down the prices, go for the wider audience, aim for the bushes!
                  modern man

Comment

• Verdandi
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by TheThief View Post
                    Hopefully this doesnt result in a situation where someone with a Hooper sleeve gets stopped on the street by a 19year old fashionista to comment "is that a Hooper tattoo? Doesnt he work for HL? That's so awesome!!"

I had some teenager come up to me at the beach last year with "Is your backpiece from that guy with the kick ass clothing line?"

I thought Ed Hardy and declined. Turns out he meant Horiyoshi III. Until then I had been blissfully unaware of aforementioned clothing line.
                    He was disappointed though because the work was "only" done by one of his pupils.

Back to the clothing label still known as HL: I was wrong, the Hooper prints made me take a second look.
                    lavender menace

Comment

• Scmick Schmowens
                      • Jul 2012

this season wasn't the strongest collection by the Colovos's, but in general they do a fantastic job of translating avant garde design ideas to really wearable pieces, and I think the diffusion line Helmut is full of pieces that every cool girl should use.

Comment

• surver
                        • Oct 2007

time to change the name... what has any of this crap got to do with 'Helmut Lang' - not necessarily the person, but everything that the namesake represented and stood for???

i think in this world that is way too much about MONEY, something should be done to prevent [living] designers to sell-out their companies and let the name carry on without any conditions of continuing/evolving the representative spirit/essence/vibe... i don't mean that subsequent designers should live in the shadow of the original, but they at the very least should respect and evolve the original vision... which in this particular case the designs and the brand have become sooo oxymoronic that one wonders why bother keeping the brand name since nothing has anything to do with it anymore...

Comment

• Scmick Schmowens
                          • Jul 2012

Helmut Lang himself has retired from fashion-- he sold his rights to the brand and presumably profited handsomely. Why should the brand not live on, in the same way as, say, Yves Saint Laurent?

No one forced Helmut Lang to sell his brand-- I'm sure it was worth his while.

That said, I think the Colovos's have been true to the Austrian genius's spirit -- clean minimalism -- while still contributing their own voices.
                          Last edited by Scmick Schmowens; 09-27-2012, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• Faust
                            kitsch killer
                            • Sep 2006

We know, Sherlock. Your posts are five years too late.
                            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎