X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lalilulelo
    • Sep 2012

Realpolitik

I thought maybe, since there wasn't a thread for geopolitics, and with what's happening in our age, sometimes it can get overwhelming and we should have a thread to voice our vision for political opinion and in some respect, futurism...

I just wanted to share this, really. And if you have something political to share please do so.

VICE NOV. 22, 2012

The shooting of Rushdie Tamimi. He died two days later in hospital.

PALESTINIAN YOUTHS ARE BEING SHOT IN THE WEST BANK
    By Alice Wagstaffe

"After a week of drones and heavy shelling, a calm fell over Gaza last night as the Israeli ceasefire took hold. Despite the truce, Gaza's brothers in the larger Palestinian territory of the West Bank are gearing up for another day of protest. West Bankers are no strangers to demonstrations against the Israeli occupation, and protest activity has intensified in the area since Gaza and Israel started trading rockets last week. Confrontations came to a head after the funeral of local hero Rushdie Tamimi, who was shot by Israeli forces at a peaceful protest in his hometown of Nabi Saleh.

Pro-Palestinian Israeli activist Leehee Rothschild was in Nabi Saleh on Saturday when Rushdie was shot. I spoke to her straight after his funeral.

Rushdi Tamimi's funeral. Photo by Oren Ziv/Activestills.

VICE: I've been following your Twitter all day – it sounds like the protests are really kicking off in the West Bank. What's going on?
    Leehee Rothschild: There were protests all over the West Bank on Saturday in solidarity with Gaza. The one in Nabi Saleh was particuarly large and the Israeli army reacted very, very violently to the demonstrations, in a way they wouldn’t normally dare to if it weren't for the military activity in Gaza. People in the West Bank think the Israeli forces feel that they can afford to crack down on the West Bank because of the operation in Gaza. In Nabi Saleh, they shot rubber bullets and live ammunition.

A pretty influential guy was killed at that protest – what happened to him?
    A local man called Rushdie Tamimi was shot several times. He kept getting up and falling back down while they shot him with live bullets. The Israeli Forces prevented medics from getting to him and treating him for a long time and he ended up dying on Tuesday from a bullet wound to his stomach.

Jesus. Can you tell me a bit about the Tamimi family and why they’re so important?
    Nabi Saleh is a small but active village and everyone there is from the Tamimi family in one way or another. The family are particularly active in non-violent struggle against the Israeli forces and, last year, Mustafa Tamimi was killed by the direct hit of a gas canister, so they've suffered a lot but they carry on. They're really inspiring.

Palestinian youth clash with Israeli police after Rushdi Tamimi's funeral. Photo by Shachaf Polakow/Activestills.

What happened at his funeral today?
    There was a huge demonstration in Nabi Saleh – with thousands of people – after his funeral. It started in Ramallah and went up to Nabi Saleh, quite similar to the funeral of Mustafa Tamimi last December. Before the peaceful demonstration even started, you could already see the soldiers waiting in position around the hills, because they knew that once the funeral was over the people would go out and protest.

As soon as we walked towards the soldiers they started shooting a load of tear gas and rubber bullets, spraying us with skunk water and began to make their way closer and closer towards the village. Eventually the whole village was covered with tear gas and everybody was ducking around to avoid the rubber bullets. It was absolutely terrifying because you couldn’t see where they were shooting from. It was from all directions and there was nowhere to hide.

Is there a feeling that the Gaza violence is spilling over into the West Bank, or does the Gaza conflict feel removed from there?
    It's very difficult say. On the one hand, there’s no artillery fire or bombing on the West Bank, but the Israeli army are being much more violent towards people in there now because nobody’s watching what goes on. The killing of a protester in the West Bank doesn't usually go unnoticed, but because of the Gaza war, you don’t hear a reaction from the international media to the deaths of people like Rushdie Tamimi. It’s just one more Palestinian killed. It's overlooked because they’re killing numerous people in Gaza every day.

What do you expect to happen in the Bank in the next few days?
    If the assault on Gaza carries on, then the West Bank demonstrations will certainly continue and the violence will escalate. We're nearing the end of the week and there are always large demonstrations in the West Bank after morning prayers on Friday, but I predict that protests this Friday will be bigger and met with more violence from Israeli forces.

So what's the general feeling in the West Bank now?
    Theres a lot of anger. There’s also a lot of worry, because of lot of people in the West Bank have family in Gaza. But there's also a lot of energy and a lot of inspiration. People are feeling a lot more active than normal and the protests will reflect that."

http://www.vice.com/read/what-about-...ource=vicefbus
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

You are linking a political story from Vice? Ok...
    The thread on politics is totally fine, I am not sure that calling it realpolitik is such a great idea. Because if you want to talk about realpolitik vs. politics, we'll be having a very different discussion.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• lalilulelo
      • Sep 2012

I guess I'm withholding my opinions until the thread grows. I didn't want to come out with a thread of my views - I'm not clever enough to do it.

As the new world order takes shape I imagine there will be a lot to say.

There is some irony in naming it Realpolitik though, no? That's what I was going for anyways, we're living in a time where cult logic rules...

Comment

• mortalveneer
        • Jan 2008

^ your post starts by saying you're withholding your opinions, and then follows with a series of opinion-laden statements.
        I am not who you think I am

Comment

• lalilulelo
          • Sep 2012

What?

I didn't mean to offend.

Comment

• zamb
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by lalilulelo View Post
            I guess I'm withholding my opinions until the thread grows. I didn't want to come out with a thread of my views - I'm not clever enough to do it.

As the new world order takes shape I imagine there will be a lot to say.

There is some irony in naming it Realpolitik though, no? That's what I was going for anyways, we're living in a time where cult logic rules...
            what is this new world order of which you speak?........
            “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
            .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• drizzly
              Banned
              • Apr 2012

dont shoot missiles into other countries so your country will not be bombed back, what else is there?

Comment

• profondo nero
                • Aug 2012

Thomas Drake, a former Senior Executive at NSA who was charged under the espionage act after he blew the whistle on waste and fraud and illegal activity at the intelligence agency, spoke at a March 15, 2013 National Press Club luncheon. Drake's event was part of the club's celebration of Sunshine Week, a national initiative to underscore the importance of open government and freedom of information.

Comment

• Czx
                  • Feb 2011

Just a quick thought related to the first article:
                  @Faust - I think VICE is doing a really good job at serious journalism. Their write-ups from Syria etc. are usually rather good. And the fact that it is rather dis-attached from any major fronts is a big plus in my opinion. I'll even go ahead and say that I wouldn't mind more political journalism in that vein.
                  néant
                  Last.FM paranoia
                  Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
                  0 > ∞

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡