• Show
Clear All
  • MikeN
    • Nov 2007

Alexander Wang confirmed as new creative director of Balenciaga

November 30, 2012

Alexander Wang to Take Reins at Balenciaga

By Miles Socha

PARIS — Balenciaga will next week name Alexander Wang its new creative director, WWD has learned.

According to market sources, the PPR-owned fashion house picked the buzzy New York designer to succeed Nicolas Ghesquière, who is to officially exit Balenciaga today.

Balenciaga officials had no comment on Thursday. Wang officials did not respond to a request for comment.

A designer in the sleek-and-modern fashion mold of Ghesquière, but with a streetwise edge and a tinge of Goth, Wang has become one the brightest stars of the American fashion scene with his groovy T-shirts, studded handbags and high-impact fashion shows.

He is also admired for his commercial savvy, having rapidly built a sizable business with manufacturing muscle and a global footprint.

The choice of Wang suggests Balenciaga might wish to dial down the elitist, couture-like approach of Ghesquière, and open up to a broader audience with a designer prized for his sportswear approach and youthful energy.

“Although we are an American brand, I think that is more to the sense of what is American sportswear, and things that feel very accessible and easy to wear,” Wang said in an interview earlier this year. “But at the same time we really see our audience and our consumer as a global citizen, someone who isn’t defined by where they live or what kind of music they listen to, things like that. It’s a sensibility that is much more individual.”

Of his Chinese lineage, he said: “In a way, I know there’s an audience that connects with me. How I identify that or what I pinpoint that to, whether it’s because of my background or because I connect with people of my generation in New York or London — that, I don’t know how to explain or quantify.”

Wang, who speaks Mandarin, has traveled frequently over the years to Shanghai, where his mother still lives; his father is based in Hong Kong.

Born to Taiwanese-American parents and raised in San Francisco, Wang studied fashion at Parsons School of Design at age 18 and created his signature label in 2005, then predominantly knitwear, according to his Web site.

He launched his full women’s collection in 2008, and has since expanded his product universe to include men’s wear, leather goods and a second line called T by Alexander Wang.

He operates a flagship in New York’s SoHo district, and earlier this year opened a 5,000-square-foot unit in Beijing. The privately held firm will end 2012 with a retail network of 12 freestanding stores and shop-in-shops in seven countries, with a concentration in Asia.

The U.S. is still Wang’s largest single market, but Europe and Asia together make up about 60 percent of its total distribution. Over the summer, Wang established a full-time showroom and offices in Paris to support his European expansion.

Wang has also demonstrated success with handbags, which is considered an important category at Balenciaga. His popular Rocco style, which resembles an athletic bag and rests on a grid of metal studs, is in a similar rock ’n’ roll vein as Balenciaga’s hit Lariat bag with its dangling zipper pulls and industrial hardware.

At Balenciaga, Wang will have big shoes to fill. Beloved by the press and considered wildly influential by retailers, Ghesquière had a stellar 15-year career at the house, making Balenciaga a temple of cutting-edge fashion and haute craftsmanship.

The challenge for Wang, still not 30, will be to juggle the demands of a fast-growing Paris fashion house with his own burgeoning label.

To be sure, he steps into a sizable business that now counts 62 directly operated stores and a new fragrance fronted by “Twilight” actress Kristen Stewart. This year, Balenciaga strengthened its presence in Asia, opening stores in Mainland China to bring its complement there to 11.

According to PPR, Balenciaga has multiplied in size by 11 times since it was acquired in 2001 by what was then Gucci Group (now known as PPR’s luxury division).

The brand is posting double-digit growth for the year to date, according to Isabelle Guichot, Balenciaga’s chief executive officer. “We have huge ambitions and we have huge reserves of growth,” she said earlier this month.

Spanish-born couturier Cristóbal Balenciaga showed his first collection in Paris in 1937 and was revered for his peerless, sculptural clothes. Despite international fame, Balenciaga closed his couture business in 1968, leaving licensed fragrances as the main business. He died in 1972. The business was subsequently known mostly for fragrances and licensed productions, until Ghesquière arrived in 1997 and engineered a rejuvenation drive.

• Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store

Comment

• interest1
      • Nov 2008

I remember when he worked as gopher in the shoe department at Barneys
      sain't

Comment

• Wizad
        • Jan 2011

Was about to say Wangman hasn't done too bad in his twenties

Comment

• interest1
          • Nov 2008

The Balenciaga name / label / image, as far as I'm concerned, is officially in the toilet. Flushed.
          sain't

Comment

• Crowzer
            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by interest1 View Post
            What a journey since this time.

Comment

• interest1
              • Nov 2008

Be there even a modicum of uncertainty as to what I think of the appointment,
              please reference the following:

my go-to pict-opinion, going forward.

( nothing personal, Eternal. )
              sain't

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                • Jan 2007

Celine has 100x more integrity than Wang ever will.

This entire article reads like a parody piece to me. This paragraph nearly had me on the floor, by the end of it I wouldn't have been surprised if they had also announced that they were going to outsource shoe design to Jeffrey Campbell.

A designer in the sleek-and-modern fashion mold of Ghesquière, but with a streetwise edge and a tinge of Goth, Wang has become one the brightest stars of the American fashion scene with his groovy T-shirts, studded handbags and high-impact fashion shows.
                Originally posted by jogu
                i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• eat me
                  • May 2009

So?

Comment

• interest1
                    • Nov 2008

Before you give yourself a concussion, eat me, know that my reaction would be the very same had he been the king of babylon.

Eternal, I'm going to elaborate on your initial question when I next log in. It's after 4am where I happen to be and I need sleep before I go dyslexic on you. ;)
                    sain't

Comment

• ProfMonnitoff
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Eternal
                      I might try to be the devils advocate in this case because anything else would be too boring, but please argue why. SZ is not twitter after all.
                      Accusing Celine of stealing ideas from Balenciaga and praising Alexander Wang in the same post is ridiculous, as that's pretty much his first step in creating a collection.

Alexander Wang's first few collections were decent pastiches and everybody got excited about him. But his collections keep on recycling the same mediocre ideas. The thing is that his strengths are mainly those of a stylist, he's great as making models look good but not very good at making interesting clothes.

His last few collections have looked like attempts at making other designers' works more saleable. The problem is that those designers are now themselves making saleable pieces and are very good at it.
                      Originally posted by jogu
                      i went out to take garbage out and froze my tits runnin down stairs , think im gonna chill at home tonite . hungry tho anyone have cool ideas on what to order for supper , not pizza tho sick of pizza

Comment

• interest1
                        • Nov 2008

not to mention he was a gopher in the shoe departme . .

LoL, sorry. . . I just couldn't resist.
                        sain't

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• eat me
                            • May 2009

Before you give yourself a concussion, eat me, know that my reaction would be the very same had he been the king of babylon.
                            Your reaction to him working at Barney's? That is what I was responding to, not his new appointment.

Comment

• malevich
                              • Jun 2012

Alex Wang has not done anything wrong!!
                              he is simply a perfect example of being at the right place and the right time with a more than right support (friendly and financial) from all the right people and most probably born to the right family... there is nothing wrong about that.. I am not defending him, His work is so-so, wearable but nothing extra.. and he definitely does not deserve being praised fashion design genius like modern media positions him.
                              His commercial success does not necessarily link to his creativity.. if you think about how much effort was put together into his Name and how much money is actually required to invest into a brand such as his in order to make it run, plus you listen to his giggling jiggling laughter interviews and his young age, him alone as he is, he is not wise enough and far away from being capable of making such a huge machine running, there is obviously a major deal of his private background (most likely family) who made everything to make this happen. he himself simply toys around with designing as babies toy around with presents and his caprices are being fulfilled...
                              Balenciaga wont toy around... and actually his skills are put to test with this upcoming work.. so now it is early to judge him. if this guy is really a talent than he will stay at Balenciaga for good, if he is a joke, they will kick him out in a couple of years anyways.. so time will show.
                              And regarding his work being a younger version of Ghesquière's vision is simply because everyone copies Balenciaga the best way they can and Balenciaga spirit is constant source of inspiration to many... Will designers relate to and get inspired from Wang's Balenciaga? do not think so

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎