X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Faust
    kitsch killer
    • Sep 2006

What is wrong here is that fashion is stagnating and moves like this aren't helping.
    Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• messenoire
      • Nov 2009

parisian couture houses are suppose to be something special and held in the highest regard. so with raf at the helm of dior and now wang at the helm of balenciaga i feel that paris is losing a bit of it's magic. hopefully the shakeups arent quite over yet and there's still a few more waiting in the wings. i am not saying i dislike wang but i cant think of anything that has really impressed me by him. i can't wait for the balenciaga cotton jersey diffusion line to hit next... the pierre balmain line came shortly after decarnin left

Comment

• michael_kard
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by messenoire View Post
        i can't wait for the balenciaga cotton jersey diffusion line to hit next...
        Isn't that Balenciaga.T's?
        ENDYMA / Archival fashion & Consignment
        Helmut Lang 1986-2005 | Ann Demeulemeester | Raf Simons | Burberry Prorsum | and more...

Comment

• messenoire
          • Nov 2009

Originally posted by michael_kard View Post
          Isn't that Balenciaga.T's?
          i had no idea that existed!

Comment

• mike
            • Dec 2006

balenciaga already has a large selection of staple carry over items which account for their sales. they are just using wang as a cool new figurehead to help push the product. i doubt they are expecting him to produce anything original.

also, eternal, could you please elaborate on your views of celine copying balenciaga? i am quite familiar with both, and do not see it. if anything, they both have borrowed quite a bit from helmut lang (as everyone has).

furthermore, ghesquiere has done more than his fair share of ripping off other designers work. there are many more examples to cite; i am sure everyone is familiar with the ss07 raf tops he copied for his ss10 collection. however, i do not think this is necessarily an indication of a low caliber designer. such "borrowing" of designs is fairly common amongst those at large luxury houses forced to produce a high output. ghesquiere has obviously proved himself otherwise; but unfortunately for wang, he has yet to exhibit any signs of substance.

Comment

• casem
              • Sep 2006

And yet this forum is overrun with nostalgia and "the sky is falling" every time there is change like this.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
              What is wrong here is that fashion is stagnating and moves like this aren't helping.
              music

Comment

• Patroklus
                Banned
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by casem83 View Post
                And yet this forum is overrun with nostalgia and "the sky is falling" every time there is change like this.
                lel
                i could see the argument being made that bringing Wang in will bring Balenciaga more in line with the direction in which fashion is moving, but I'd be tempted to say that it isn't necessarily a good direction to take, nor will it necessarily benefit Balenciaga and their brand image.

it certainly won't benefit pfw :'(

Comment

• zamb
                  • Nov 2006

i think we may have to reluctantly accept that this may be the new Normal .Brands are now less concerned with their "image" and more concerned with their bottom lines..............So producing in cheaper factories are the way to go, and hiring designers who are more "commercial" is more of a priority than having an artistic director with a creative soul.

My perspective on Wang is that I have none at all, partly because his work falls outside of the scope of fashion in which I am interested, so I cannot comment on his work. what i do know is this is a significant development for Balenciaga with its history and Legacy............as now there will no longer be a designer at the helm who is regarded as a Creative elite, but one who has made his name doing contemporary fashion
                  “You know,” he says, with a resilient smile, “it is a hard world for poets.”
                  .................................................. .......................

Zam Barrett Spring 2017 Now in stock

Comment

• david s
                    • Jul 2010

my only thought is cynical

to take the heritage of cristobal balenciaga + what ghesquiere has done in the last 15 years and hand it to wang

just cynical shit ...

seems like they could find someone who is unknown with real design chops, or who knows maybe Wang will be a pleasant surprise.

here's hoping
                    It's absolutely Hedious!
                    shy poser

Comment

• flwlessvctry
                      • Jul 2011

Im have no idea what would lead them to this descision but im hoping these sort of things weren't it

Oeh… this is a nasty case of copying Alexander Wang. What were you thinking?! The Alexander Wang runway show for Spring 2013 was just a few days ago and everyone is talking about it. Alexande…

Comment

• galia
                        • Jun 2009

ahah

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Damn, son. Where's that from?
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Crowzer
                            • Feb 2011

Nice tumblr by the way.

Comment

• mrbeuys
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by Crowzer View Post
                              Oh jeez, there goes my free Sunday.
                              Hi. I like your necklace. - It's actually a rape whistle, but the whistle part fell off.

Comment

• Faust
                                kitsch killer
                                • Sep 2006

And of course they assigned Mr. Vanilla to write the piece. Whatever. He interviewed three people, all of them praising Wang? How wonderful when the overwhelming reaction from the fashion community is negative.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎