Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cjbreed
    • Feb 2009

it seems odd to me that it could somehow be hard to understand what "commercial" means.
    dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• Faust
      kitsch killer
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by cjbreed View Post
      it seems odd to me that it could somehow be hard to understand what "commercial" means.
      it's hard only on sz
      Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Castor
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        But how mass-market is a $1,000 sweater though? Seems like the price precludes the mass-market definition.
        Perhaps mass market is inaccurate, but a new term should exist, maybe we can use the cosmetic word "mastige". But with all the department stores and boutiques and e-shops and outlets, etc. it's all just gotten so huge. I mean how many LV bags do they sell in a year really?
        Originally posted by DRRRK
        The bridge from Dior to CCP being Rick Owens.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

I'll never forget brilliant Cintra Wilson's line that masstige sounds faintly gynecological

There is something to it, as outlets are the fastest growing segment of the luxury market, which is an oxymoron. All the major "luxury" companies (save for Chanel maybe) make merchandise especially for their outlet stores.
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• ES3K
            • Oct 2008

I'm sometimes under the impression that the full retail price is more kind of a marketing tool these days -- so people go out (or probably online), kop at 50-70% and feel ultra satisfaction bc they bought "luxury" at a steal.

Comment

• Castor
              • Nov 2009

Well, LVMH and Kering both had tough quarters. Maybe it's time to look at the merchandise instead of the economic conditions.

I totally agree. I have friends that only buy on sale and when they get SL at 40% off they think they totally scored. I suppose we all like a sale item, but that stuff ain't right at 50% off. I think Acne offers much better stuff at lower prices in a similar, yet more creative vein.

Comment

• Shucks
                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by ES3K View Post
                I'm sometimes under the impression that the full retail price is more kind of a marketing tool these days -- so people go out (or probably online), kop at 50-70% and feel ultra satisfaction bc they bought "luxury" at a steal.
                funny, i was pondering this today too, after receiving some end-of-sale promotions that just didn't seem like very good deals.

i know most merchandizers do their sales projections based not only based on selling at retail, but also on huge numbers of sales tickets (making projections for 30% off, 50% off, 70% off specifically...). i know there's also talk of companies producing extra stock for selling directly to discounters, but i don't know any specific examples right off the bat.

Comment

• Faust
                  kitsch killer
                  • Sep 2006

See my comment above about outlets.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Castor
                    • Nov 2009

Chanel has an outlet in Woodbury Commons, as does Balenciaga. No one is immune except Hermes and LV on the discounting front.

Comment

• Shucks
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Faust View Post
                      See my comment above about outlets.
                      ah, missed that. sorry.

Comment

• Venus in Furs
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2009

LV's shit that doesn't sell actually ends up getting incinerated

Comment

• Shucks
                          • Aug 2010

it's funny how that policy is almost the same at mcdonalds and burger king...

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎