Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • exterminatingphantom
    • Sep 2012

I personally think Hedi's SLP is closer in style to the characters of Blue Velvet than Bryan Ferry, but, hey, thats the beauty of fashion. It speaks differently to everyone.

I never compared Hedi to Rick so i'm not sure why you felt the need to explain your interpretation of their vision, but, ok. I just simply implied that the price points aren't as exorbitant as everyone is making it out to be.

Comment

• fncyths
      • Apr 2010

Ha! You had me at Blue Velvet

I just love the smirk on Ferry's face...

I agree with you about the pricing of RO and SLP. Respectively though, I feel like with Rick you get more of his vision for what you pay, where as with Hedi, you're getting a look that has been duplicated thousands of times, just the BEST of that look.

(and that's coming from an old Mod kid who's been wearing skinny jeans since day 1 )

Originally posted by Shucks
      it's like cocaine, only heavier. and legal.
      Originally posted by interest1
      I don't live in the past. But I do have a vacation home there.

Comment

• exterminatingphantom
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by fncyths View Post
        Ha! You had me at Blue Velvet

I just love the smirk on Ferry's face...

I agree with you about the pricing of RO and SLP. Respectively though, I feel like with Rick you get more of his vision for what you pay, where as with Hedi, you're getting a look that has been duplicated thousands of times, just the BEST of that look.

(and that's coming from an old Mod kid who's been wearing skinny jeans since day 1 )

Ahh, I definitely can't argue with that, That pretty much nails it. I admire Designers like Rick and Boris, but their world is so complex and there are so many overwhelming choices in their palette which is why I can appreciate a Stylist like Hedi to make it easier on me to just throw on something that works without having to bat an eyelash.

And yeah, Bryan Ferry is a boss lol

Comment

• agentred
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by agentred View Post

The fit on the basics is phenomenal. Somebody mentioned earlier that they didn't like the quality, but I think the suits are right up there with Siki Im and Alexandre Plokhov (IMO my favorite current standard bearers of American and Italian construction), and the silhouette on the leathers is excellent.
          Corrected!

In terms of prices I think it's all over the place - the jackets are très crazy, but some of the denim is relatively cheap. Like, the plain black jeans are almost half the price of the 'original raw' jeans, so if you can stand to be a little less raw in your attire you can pay ~Balenciaga prices, which are way below ~RO denim prices.

Comment

• Dreavan
            • Mar 2012

Everybody is targeting the quality of SLP because people excpect to get great fabrics and innovative garments at such a "luxurious" price.

I completely agree with all people saying this is actually happening everywhere. Do you really think RO jerseys at 200/300€ is an ok price for what it really is?

Are you buying a specific garment or a concept then? Do you eventually consider to satisfy your needs by carrying something with tremendous price tags or a high quality product?

Positioning of most of the brands has been changing since more than ten years now. I especially think brands don't give a shit to what you guys are saying since we are not the main customers and targets.
            Just come to Paris at Galeries Lafayette and you will see tons of Middle East, Russian and Chinese people buying all stocks at Céline, SLP, Dior, Louis Vuitton ...
            Their main goals are to find what they have seen on celebrities and press, not to wear a good quality product because when you have plenty of money, you don't care about that. You wait next season and you buy again.

All classic luxury brands have to follow the same direction to survive and keep alive their identity among worldwide market.

Also targets became random people (with average level of life) who can afford now these brands. 30 years ago if you were working as a worker, you had no way to only think about getting a Saint Laurent jacket. Nowadays, behaviours changed and people are ready to eat potatoes during 6 months to get a Céline bag. They also don't give credit to quality and research ... since they focus on concept, press, celebrities and trends.

Comment

• agentred
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Dreavan View Post
              Everybody is targeting the quality of SLP because people excpect to get great fabrics and innovative garments at such a "luxurious" price.
              I agree in general, especially the ridiculous prices for waxed cotton LV handbags etc. but the SLP suits are actually fully lined in silk, which is nice compared to other high end brands which cost as much but use synthetics for lining instead (Bottega etc.).

Just come to Paris at Galeries Lafayette and you will see tons of Middle East, Russian and Chinese people buying all stocks at Céline, SLP, Dior, Louis Vuitton ...
              When I was in the SLP store they mostly had the tailored FW clothes in, and I saw a lot of Asian teenagers there just buying wallets.

And that actually makes sense - they're all dressed in scruffy jackets and jeans because they're in high school and have no reason to wear a suit, but they still wanna blow some of their parents' money and show off designer-of-the-moment pieces so instead they spend $800 on a wallet.

I always wondered why brands like SLP or DH put out so many accessories, but it has to be a huge money maker.

Comment

• Dreavan
                • Mar 2012

I agree in general, especially the ridiculous prices for waxed cotton LV handbags etc. but the SLP suits are actually fully lined in silk, which is nice compared to other high end brands which cost as much but use synthetics for lining instead (Bottega etc.).
                200% agree with you. As I said in one of my previous, tailoring is the best part of the SLP vestiaire. I especially remember one cashmere suit for FW13/14 which was absolutely amazing. I never wear suits but I could kill to get that one lol. I think people are more talking about entry prices to discuss the poor quality of some garments. But what people do expect? To get same quality between 2000€ and 3500€ suits? Come on!

I've been working in retail too for different brands and Japanese are very focused into wallets. Chinese have now more money and spend everything in bags. These are sometimes half the price of what they have over there + they have more choice here.

I have to say that South Asia and Pacific franchises are making a great amount of their profits with accessories.

It's also real that some brands are not done for Asian people since they have a very different morphology and that's why they don't buy clothes in France. It also refers to Saint Laurent at the level of the sleeves and shoulders ... and of course denims.

Comment

• agentred
                  • Jul 2009

It's also real that some brands are not done for Asian people since they have a very different morphology and that's why they don't buy clothes in France. It also refers to Saint Laurent at the level of the sleeves and shoulders ... and of course denims.
                  That's a good point and I like the way you think brah, we should get a drink next time I'm in Paris.

Comment

• Dreavan
                    • Mar 2012

That's a good point and I like the way you think brah, we should get a drink next time I'm in Paris.
                    Of course :), it's always great to meet people here in Paris, especially foreigners.

Let me know when you come to France.

I know some brands developped a special "asian sizing" like Damir Doma with his -44.

But it seems french brands don't want to develop a new size, even if Asian market became the reason why they survive ^^

Comment

• ngoa
                      • Oct 2009

showroom pictures of the fw 13 garments.

also a close up of the ripped chain jeans.

the chains are handsewn into the jeans that might be a reason for the pricetag of over 2000 usd.

they do look really interesting. has anyone handled them in person yet?

Comment

• Faust
                        kitsch killer
                        • Sep 2006

Saw a lot of SL today. I don't agree with whoever said that it's something special up close. It's absolutely nothing special up close. It's nice clothes, sure, and will look cute on all the skinny girls hopping around SoHo in their Isabel Marant army jackets and their boyfriends. But, as fashion design, not much to look at.
                        Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• cloonz
                          • Aug 2011

Some shots of Tadanobu Asano in this collection on thirdlooks.

Comment

• Fade to Black
                            • Sep 2008

I think the Japanese carry Hedi's vision better than anyone else. This was true of DH, true of SL.
                            www.matthewhk.net

let me show you a few thangs

Comment

• Faust
                              kitsch killer
                              • Sep 2006

I think the SL shop in SoHo did a pretty good job. It's one place where you "get it" When it's at Barneys and Berdorf's it's just another label with skinny jeans and leather jackets.
                              Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Illithid Dude
                                • May 2013

Yeah, I feel that Saint Laurent is almost more about the culture and ideal then the clothes, and this comes across best at the boutiques. I know I'm excited for the L.A. one to open this fall, but even the temporary boutique still has a certain Parisian chic meets L.A. rocker vibe that I haven't really felt anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎