Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Czx
    • Feb 2011

I remeber such discussion happening in thread dedicated to CCP. Or was it MA+? Basically it boils down to what you said. It's simply a designer thing. When object of use is also contemplated as an work of art therefore gaining the value of artistic vision.
    néant
    Last.FM paranoia
    Ambient/noise/glitch/eai / On FB
    0 > ∞

Comment

• BSR
      • Aug 2008

i don't see why fashion would be special here. if you're poor, it's difficult to buy things, whether they are clothes, bread or cars.

also it does not have any connection with theorizing: one can do a theory about consumption of X without being an X-consumer...
      pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
      Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• kunk75
        Banned
        • May 2008

not at all fair E, I've worked for everthing I have and grew up sharing a room with my mother. I hardly think I am the only "privileged" person on here unless the average 18-25 year old has an abundance of inherited CCP. I also mentioned neither the expensive hood nor the audi here. I can appreciate money on a level I will guarantee almost no one here can — I grew up on the lowest rung of the poverty line and never even got to play little league, or know my father or do anything. I went to art school without a dime to buy art supplies. If anything, this should be comforting to young members struggling that you don't have to be bound by the socio-economic strata to which you are born.

And no, I don't think paying taxes for the failings of others is reasonable, sorry. I was under the impression that free thought about the topic and was hardly playing Suze Orman. Carry on.

Originally posted by Faust View Post
        Kunk, I don't mean to criticize you, but I don't' think you realize how out of touch and privileged you sound in your post. "I bought a house in an expensive neighborhood and an Audi and have no debts and now I'm broke" is not exactly comforting to someone like crtk who can't afford to buy a leather jacket even on sale. I'm also not going to get into the whole, "OMG, I have to pay taxes! I don't need no fucking roads and schools." discussion - that's a separate topic. Also, I don't think anyone asked for financial wisdom but for comments about exploring a relationship between things you are interested in but cannot have.

Crtk, I don't think there is much of a solution here . It does get frustrating not to be able to afford clothes (I am now in a privileged position, but I am sure many of us have been/are in that boat) since clothes are meant to be worn and ownership is part of the relationship with fashion. I am not sure what comfort or advice can be offered here.

Then again, I had no designer clothes when I was 20 either. I had this white Diesel sweatshirt though and I thought it was the tits.

Comment

• Faust
          kitsch killer
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post
          i don't see why fashion would be special here. if you're poor, it's difficult to buy things, whether they are clothes, bread or cars.

also it does not have any connection with theorizing: one can do a theory about consumption of X without being an X-consumer...
          (It is easy to buy clothing; hard to buy fashion.)

Same difference between those dreadful fashion academics ala Christopher Breward and someone like Valerie Steele, who lives fashion, hence her writing is so much better and alive. When you do live it, you have a certain sensibility that cannot be theorized out of vacuum.

But you Frenchies suck theory with your mother's milk, so your statement above is normal
          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kunk75 View Post
            not at all fair E, I've worked for everthing I have and grew up sharing a room with my mother. I hardly think I am the only "privileged" person on here unless the average 18-25 year old has an abundance of inherited CCP. And no, I don't think paying taxes for the failings of others is reasonable, sorry. I was under the impression that free thought about the topic and was hardly playing Suze Orman. Carry on.
            I know you have - just wanted to point out how it sounds. Having a house in an expensive neighborhood and a luxury car hardly qualifies as "broke."

On taxes - get back to me when you can quantify the difference between failings of others and luck, privilege, circumstances of birth and so on. And also when you can separate welfare queens from need for public health, education, and infrastructure projects.
            Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• kunk75
              Banned
              • May 2008

^fair enough, taxes are not a simple issue and it certainly isn't black and white. On a side note, welfare queen was my name in my vogueing days.

Comment

• Faust
                kitsch killer
                • Sep 2006

Welfare queens, like homeless people, drugs, and violent video games are a cost of running a capitalist democracy. It sucks and I wish we did not have them as much as you do, but that's how it is.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• BSR
                  • Aug 2008

(It is easy to buy clothing; hard to buy fashion.)

Same difference between those dreadful fashion academics ala Christopher Breward and someone like Valerie Steele, who lives fashion, hence her writing is so much better and alive. When you do live it, you have a certain sensibility that cannot be theorized out of vacuum.

But you Frenchies suck theory with your mother's milk, so your statement above is normal
                  true, in other fields, critics or theoreticians don't have to be involved: in politics, it's better not to be a prince if you want to be a political theoretician (2nd intervention of Rousseau in this thread! Here it's the foreword to the Social Contract), but the fashion specificity would lie in the fact that garments are to be worn to be understood and not only seen on other people. hmmm... not sure it's really so obvious. Also, in this context i suppose you equate fashion with 'non strictly functional garments', because otherwise... to 'live fashion', i'm not sure what that could really mean!

lol @ the frenchie taste for theories... you don't know France well enough! It has changed a bit since the 70's
                  pix

Originally posted by Fuuma
                  Fuck you and your viewpoint, I hate this depoliticized environment where every opinion should be respected, no matter how moronic. My avatar was chosen just for you, die in a ditch fucker.

Comment

• Patroklus
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2011

i don't know what to say about this thread. i already don't expect to make a lot of money, or to have the same standard of living as my parents, so clothing from designers i admire is just a nice luxury that i cop when luck aligns for me. as far as making money is concerned, i'm just aiming for self-employment in a skilled trade so that i don't have to worry too much about finding myself without income and so i can live without debt.

Welfare queens, like homeless people, drugs, and violent video games are a cost of running a capitalist democracy. It sucks and I wish we did not have them as much as you do, but that's how it is.
                    it's the cost of not subscribing to eugenics, but that's okay, because eugenics wouldn't stop these people from existing; some people are just unable to keep themselves from waving their dick at traffic, and ignoring the moral quandary (who decides who isn't fit for living in society?) it's probably cheaper to stick them in asylums than it is to deal with the externalities they create - crimes driven by mental dysfunction.

Comment

• sam_tem
                      • Apr 2007

now why would you go and bring video games into this, what statistical harm or moral lines does such an innocent and pleasurable experience create or cross? and i hope you don't consider things like caffeine, wine and weed a complete loss, the only drawback i can see there is that we're able to afford them in such excess.

as for the homeless and crack heads, it'd be nice to give them a separate place to be but prisons already run on the tiniest of moral margins and still cost $60k to house someone for a year. asylums may be nice, but definitely not a cost that society is willing to take on and as such, we let them fend for themselves and externalize the cost. (note: i see now that someone could be put in jail for 5 years and fined 1/2MM for jail breaking a phone, this country is fucked).

but i should stop diverting the thread. as they say, you can have anything you want in life, just not everything you want. that's something we should all be proud we can say and they're certainly words to live by as you don't have to go very far in this world to find those that can only dream of being weighed down by such circumstances and choices. but then again that may just be my full-blooded german conservative psyche typing.

but seriously folks, if ya'll are still in college i find it hard to understand what work or contributions you could have made to society at such foundling ages to be stocking a closet with RO and BBS. better to enjoy the access you have and taked pleasure in knowing such things exist (thank god we all grew up in the internet age) rather than finding disapointment in not being to hoard such things at this age. this is a time of your life meant for learning, not acquiring and loading yourself and desires down with such assets. better to covet and hoard these things when you're settled down with obnoxious kids running around so you can still live out those fleeting desires you came across in your formative years. once your older your emotions and desires become more tempered and it's guaranteed you'll only find yourself at a loss on how to hit those same pleasure buttons like you could so easily when you were a teen.

Comment

• Cookie_Monster
                        • Jan 2011

This thread really hits home for me right now.

My wife quit her job a last year to focus on testing for the CPA and I had enough money to last the year without her income. This includes rent, food, car note, and even the occasional item.

This month, I'm about to go into some savings to pay for credit card debt to avoid interest payments.

I'm pretty rigid with my savings and I don't like having to dip into savings to cover the almost crack like need for fashionable clothing.

I haven't bought anything since maybe October and even then, the money came from selling older not used pieces.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by BSR View Post

lol @ the frenchie taste for theories... you don't know France well enough! It has changed a bit since the 70's
                          So I heard but you still unquestionably beat Americans in your wealth of knowledge and respect for education.

By "living fashion" I mean that someone like Dr. Steele buys the clothes, goes to the shows, etc. etc. Does what we do, only she's mad smart.

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• CDG Diffusion Line
                            • Dec 2008

this thread has it all.

white people calling other white people privileged.
                            french philosophers unable to relate to people who struggle
                            people using the phrase "welfare queen" in 2013
                            capital
                            oversimplified mansplaining of capital
                            sensitive replies to VIDEO GAMES

but, really, shouts to all the people working hard for very little but still surviving in this shitworld.

Comment

• Patroklus
                              Banned
                              • Feb 2011

^^^ they're taking my arcade shooters out of arcades because of the recent shootings

too damn far
                              next they will take my fighting games

Comment

• volta
                                • May 2009

violent video games
                                you mean art?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀