• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aska
    • Feb 2013

Jewellery Collection

Hi all!
    Im a first year MA student in the jewellery programme at the Royal College of Art in London. Right now I'm working on a small collection of five pieces with the working title STURM und DRANG.
    I thought it would be nice to post some images here of the pieces
    I´v done so far and maybe get some feedback from you.

Wanderer Ring: Sterling silver, oak wood.
    Techniques: Wax carving, lost wax casting, nail making, wood carving, filing, polishing.

Ruins Bracelet: Sterling silver.
    Techniques: Wax carving, lost wax casting, forging, filing, polishing.
  • jacquesrevalde
    • Dec 2011

These are incredible ! looks almost like concrete, i'm very envious of your skills and where you are studying!! did you make the curb chain yourself?

Comment

• ahn
      • Jul 2012

Beautiful work! I feel that many of us emerging jewellers take inspiration from a similar zeitgeist (pardon the pun). Although in no way the same design, I can see that some of my recent work has a very similar aesthetic value to your first ring. I think it is a very exciting time to be a contemporary young jeweller. Congratulations, I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of your collection with much anticipation.
      some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• NicolasA
        • Aug 2012

Amazing. Mineral world has definitely an immense range of possibilites.

Raw finish in jewelry I think it's VERY interesting as well. But as jacques said, great skills!

Would like to see more!
        Last edited by NicolasA; 05-05-2013, 11:48 AM.

Comment

• Aska
          • Feb 2013

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

jacquesrevalde: Its a good school, with good facilities. My programme is very open to new approaches towards jewelry and have a high level of critical thinking which is nice. But like all educations it have its pros and cons..
          The chain is the only part I didn't do by hand, I usually make my own chains but i find the filed and cut ones to be a bit overkill..

ahn: Indeed it is, and much more openminded than a couple of years ago. I would love to see some of your work!

NicolasA: Thnxs! I think so as well, and that there are other ways to show technical skills then high polishing..

I just finished a new necklace from the same collection, will try to post an image of it tomorrow

Comment

• drmmr
            • Sep 2010

Lovely! Looking forward to see pictures of the rest of the collection.

Comment

• keilani
              • Jan 2012

Wow, great work. Very impressive, keep working hard and I'm sure you will go places with this.

Comment

• UA+
                • Nov 2007

Absolutely beautiful pieces, i love the work that was put into the first ring.

Comment

• Vanna
                  • May 2008

These are fantastic. Post more.
                  Life is a hiiighway

Comment

• olethomas
                    • Dec 2010

Really nice pieces. Regarding the titles STURM and DRANG, what are the references? I first got the JK. Rowling-feeling but is this wrong? Striking names anyway.

Comment

• radio-aktivität
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by olethomas View Post
                      Really nice pieces. Regarding the titles STURM and DRANG, what are the references? I first got the JK. Rowling-feeling but is this wrong? Striking names anyway.
                      Sturm und Drang was a german literary and artistic movement prior to Romanticism and, by the time, contrary to the classical period of Rationalism. Think of the early Goethe and Schiller.
                      I didn’t know about the Potter reference to that era, although Durmstrang sounds a bit odd to a German.

More on topic: the visible nail does it for me. I always like to see how things work and explain themselves by the very nature of their design.

Comment

• Aska
                        • Feb 2013

Thnx for all the positive feedback!
                        As radio-aktivität said Sturm und Drang was a cultural movement in germany. For this collection I draw inspiration from art and poetry from that era. I was also influenced by the ideas of the sublime within nature, that derived from Kant during that zeitgeist, as something noble, splendid and terrifying and tried to incorporate that in a contemporary context within my work.

Her are the last three pieces from the collection, hope you enjoy it!

Island Fibula: Sterling silver, oak wood.
                        Techniques: Wood carving, forging, nail making, filing, polishing.

Stalactite Necklace: Sterling silver, oak wood.
                        Techniques: Wood carving, forging, nail making, filing, polishing.

Colossus Ring: Sterling silver.
                        Techniques: 3D modeling, 3D printing, lost wax casting, filing, polishing.

Comment

• Aska
                          • Feb 2013

I forgot to say that I'm part of a showroom during Stockholm fashion week, 26-27 of august, at the Army museum. If you are around during that time you are more than welcome to pop by, see some work, have a drink, would be fun to see some SZ folks!
                          Here is the event link: http://showroom13.se/

Comment

• ahn
                            • Jul 2012

Your carved wood pieces are exceptional! Congratulations on such fine work!
                            some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• Mrama
                              • Feb 2013

these are absolutely fantastic.
                              how long does it usually take to churn out a singular ring?
                              "All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last." - Marcel Proust

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎