X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blacknight
    • May 2013

Beijing SZ'ers (if you exist)

Forgive me ahead of time, and please direct me to an appropriate forum if this post is out of place, as it's my first after around six months of lurking.

I'm wondering if there are any SZ'ers lurking the streets of Beijing. I've been living in the Haidian district for the past year, and have found Beijing to be pretty desolate of avant garde style or artistic expression outside of 798 and Sanlitun (blame the remains of Confucianism and thousands of years of social conditioning if you will.)

I'd be interested to speak to anyone around the area, and possibly find some good shopping spots, meet some folks around the city that share common interests, etc.

Call this a personals add if you like, hah. I hope to become more involved in SZ from here on out.

Nice to meet you all, and cheers from Beijing~
    Dylan~
  • 13we2
    • Sep 2015

I think if you just stand by on the street waiting to see people dressed in Rick CCP walk into you then pretty much it's the same as waiting for Obama or Lady Gaga to show up in your town while you stand on the street. Never been to Paris but I guess except Paris etc, same for everywhere else (not just as for Beijing).

But you do see streetwear influence among young kids, though cheap and no-brand copycats, you see more kids are wearing monochromatic all black shit, or ktz/chromehearts/givenchy styles. I don't think Shanghai or Hong Kong are better spots for avant-garde wear although they are undeniably recognized as "fashion towns".

That's what "avant-garde" means, right? You can't even expect 1 out of 10 people to have even ever heard of Rick.

Comment

• 13we2
      • Sep 2015

Was curious to see your website... Care to share?
      Last edited by 13we2; 09-27-2015, 02:41 AM.

Comment

• gregor
        • Oct 2014

i don't live there, but i'm in town often enough to know the city relatively well. i'm sure you'd know it better than i, having lived there.

i assume you've done the whole dsm-ziggy-anchoret-ink rotation by now? the community i know is actually rather large, but not notable as it's a city of so many millions of people.

Comment

• 13we2
          • Sep 2015

It seems to me nowadays mortar-n-brick shopping just isn't our fellow Chinese thing. Heavily under the impact of Taobao, Jingdong, etc in the past 10 years or so, online-shopping seems to have become most (esp young) Chinese preferred way of buying things. In recent years, weibo, wechat also rolled in. So Chinese buyers do buy lots of designer clothes, but a lot of them buy online. And for those "nouveau riche" or just the rich, which are not just a few today, the joke here is they fly to Paris in the morning, buy $ 1 billion luxury, and fly back in the afternoon.

What I'm saying is the market is large in fact. But you are right, for these avant-garde brands it's still relatively a small group.

Comment

• mmmx
            • May 2018

Has anyone checked out Common Place? Thinking about popping in, they seem to have a great selection/atmosphere. Really reminds me of Darklands.

Common Place - A private collection of found objects and moments. [Fashion brands selected with care and specific focus]. - Commonplace.Site

Comment

• Glennphilips
              Banned
              • Dec 2022

Buying a coffee maker is a great way to make coffee in the comfort of your own home. Whether you’re looking for an espresso machine, a drip coffee maker, or a combination of the two, there’s a coffee maker out there that can meet your needs and budget. Start shopping around and find the perfect coffee maker for you! https://brewmasterpro.com/best-coffee-maker-under-200/

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎