Results 1 to 20 of 542

Thread: BEWARE OF SCAMMERS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default BEWARE OF SCAMMERS

    There has been at least one user by the name of Fierce Liz responding to WTB posts, offering rare items at cheap prices. Be wary of any new members doing this, and please report suspicious activity.


    It's highly reccomended that you do not buy anything wthout proof that the user selling them has the item.
    If someone offers you an item without photos, let us know.
    "AVANT GUARDE HIGHEST FASHION. NOW NOW this is it people, these are the brands no one fucking knows and people are like WTF. they do everything by hand in their freaking secret basement and shit."

    STYLEZEITGEIST MAGAZINE | BLOG

  2. #2

    Default

    I'm glad that she's banned for now...

  3. #3

    Default stereoforsell on eBay - avoid at all costs

    In all my years of selling (since 2007) this individual is the worst apple I've ever encountered. I urge everyone on SZ to stay clear of this psychopath. He's as dirty as they come.

    eBay ID: stereoforsell

    Scott Landers
    Travelmasters
    4524 Tobias Ave
    Sherman Oaks, CA 91403
    818 905 5828
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

  4. #4

    Default

    ^ What happened?

    Looks like that his feedback left for others is a mess.
    ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ian+ View Post
    ^ What happened?

    Looks like that his feedback left for others is a mess.
    god i wish i had seen this before i dealt with him.
    after an hour of negotiating and answering a relentless barrage of questions over the phone i unwittingly sold him a jacket thinking he was a friend of a trusted szer. upon receiving it he discovered it was unlined (as issued by the manufacturer) and tried to extort me for a fee to allegedly have it lined. when i refused he filed a spurious claim which he of course won since paypal and ebay always side with the buyer. (i own the same item and can say with authority that the fact it's unlined is totally arbitrary. this guy just wanted to get a better price by playing dirty.) but to add insult to injury he continued to press me for money "to make the whole thing go away" even after he won the claim.

    this pathetic man is 54 years old. at that age one should have more class.
    LOVE THE SHIRST... HOW much?

  6. #6

    Default

    ^ Had an experience with him in 2010. Don't usually let people come to us to try stuff on, made an exception. He was less than polite in person. 3 years later and we still get the occasional rude e-mail from him.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKA*NYC View Post
    god i wish i had seen this before i dealt with him.
    after an hour of negotiating and answering a relentless barrage of questions over the phone i unwittingly sold him a jacket thinking he was a friend of a trusted szer. upon receiving it he discovered it was unlined (as issued by the manufacturer) and tried to extort me for a fee to allegedly have it lined. when i refused he filed a spurious claim which he of course won since paypal and ebay always side with the buyer. (i own the same item and can say with authority that the fact it's unlined is totally arbitrary. this guy just wanted to get a better price by playing dirty.) but to add insult to injury he continued to press me for money "to make the whole thing go away" even after he won the claim.

    this pathetic man is 54 years old. at that age one should have more class.
    Oh my, oh my.
    He deserves a punch in the face so whoever sees him again, you know the drill ...
    In general taking some time to review the feedback a member leaves for others is far more educational than the other way round, it has saved me numerous times.
    ...bombing the bass, blasting the beat

  8. #8

    Default

    neither want to get involved ,but when you see on usps tracking "delivery status not updated" or "note left to recipient...", usually the item is delivered .The USPS assistants forget to do the last scan most of the times.Of course this is not an evidence

  9. #9

    Default

    Don't treat USPS tracking so seriously. I had a transaction with david (david_s). He sent via USPS express. It got lost somewhere, but it did eventually pop up after 2 months when we have both gave up on the package.

    If u view the tracking below, it's still not updated. Obviously if I kept David's refund, n pretended the boots didn't appear, he wouldn't know either.

    So yeah. Don't take the tracking so seriously. It's just a reference.

    https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...&qtc_zipcode1=

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dji View Post
    not that I want to get involved but have you considered giving USPS a call? it would cost you a couple of cents via Skype and then at the least you can confirm whether the parcel was ever received.
    It's free via Skype. I just called them. They told me that they have no idea, if it had been received or not. That only can be found out, if sender opens case and they will do the investigation. Which is ridiculous, because he should know that himself. I can do nothing with that, seller has all advantages.

    Quote Originally Posted by hurricane08 View Post
    neither want to get involved ,but when you see on usps tracking "delivery status not updated" or "note left to recipient...", usually the item is delivered .The USPS assistants forget to do the last scan most of the times.Of course this is not an evidence
    Quote Originally Posted by gnow View Post
    Don't treat USPS tracking so seriously. I had a transaction with david (david_s). He sent via USPS express. It got lost somewhere, but it did eventually pop up after 2 months when we have both gave up on the package.

    If u view the tracking below, it's still not updated. Obviously if I kept David's refund, n pretended the boots didn't appear, he wouldn't know either.

    So yeah. Don't take the tracking so seriously. It's just a reference.

    https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...&qtc_zipcode1=
    That's what i am talking about. Even if it had not been received yet, it's up to seller to go to post office and pick parcel up. Judging by the amount time tracking hadn't been updated (2 months) i am sure it was already picked up. That explains all the ignore i have faced and everything else. I can't do anything in that situation. No money, no item and he continues to ignore that discussion, like nothing has happened.

  11. #11

    Default

    I had sold a Balmain leather jacket to a guy in Europe few years ago. Ended up sending USPS not knowing about its tracking issues. Tracking site never updated info, buyer alleged they never got the jacket and a month later opened a paypal case and won. I was out of 2 K and still don't know where the jacket is. I assumed that its with the buyer.
    Point is, it works both ways. Who ever ends up with the loss assumes the other person to be fraudulent. In my case likely someone from post office messed up and so may be in your case too.

  12. #12

    Default

    ..................
    Last edited by Peasant; 08-09-2014 at 12:47 PM. Reason: pointless.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
    For those it may concern.. until Russia stops blowing up planes
    Oh god, would you kindly keep these political conspiracies out of SZ? This is the last place I expect to see something like this. Please.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
    I already offered to refund him half the selling price even with nothing to show for it and no guarantee that I will get the item back. In which case I would refund the rest of the selling price (minus shipping).
    That's a lie. You should have checked what you have sent me, before writing that.

    I don't want to get into a big argument about this, but I do want it resolved. The package went to your country. I did not receive it back regardless of what usps states. I don't have it and they don't have it. If you wanted express shipping offer to pay for it. Don't expect it after you've paid such a low ount and attempted to get it even lower.
    Anyway. Packages with a low value are only insured for $100. That's the risk marking them low. Honestly, I thought you were trying to rip me off and take advantage of a package that wasn't updated. You did not send a gift payment, so why would you wait so long to tell me it hadn't arrived? Sorry, but that was my take on it.
    However, given the shipping status I do believe that you never revieved it. I am willig to split the loss with you, but I won't refund the full amount and be out the total for the shoes and the shoes themselves. I

    Mike


    There is no mention that he would send remaining part, if USPS "finds" parcel. That MAKES SENSE a lot.

    One more time - IS THERE ANY EXCUSE FOR IGNORING ME FOR MONTHS, UNTIL I POST WHOLE STORY? You are even ignoring that question, that's why i am writing it bold.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
    He pissed and moaned about my asking price for days.
    Lie and exaggeration again. Stop being so sensitive and if you say something, provide quotes and facts. Don't act like a girl. Do you want me to be publish all email conversation?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
    If you don't like someone's asking price, move along.
    As someone already said - if you don't like offer, don't accept it. Very simple.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peasant View Post
    Even compared it to a pair he bought previous for less money. Sent pics and all. Like I care what someone pays for a far less impressive, shittier leather, ugly color-way, more used and older, discontinued version of the current season, incredible iteration pair I'm listing at 70% off. Don't cry. This game isn't for cheap people, but they're always the most eager to play.

    That's all I can say about it. Shit situation. For those it may concern.. until Russia stops blowing up planes I won't ship to your country. It's not about the planes. I just don't think they're letting much in from the US anytime soon. Peace.
    You have mentioned ugly conversation. That's what your message is all about. Drama queen bullshit, about how cheap i am and so on. I see your feelings are hurt, otherwise you wouldn't write in such manner. But i ask again - act like a man and provide facts. Anyone who has read your message realizes what person you are.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandgx View Post
    I had sold a Balmain leather jacket to a guy in Europe few years ago. Ended up sending USPS not knowing about its tracking issues. Tracking site never updated info, buyer alleged they never got the jacket and a month later opened a paypal case and won. I was out of 2 K and still don't know where the jacket is. I assumed that its with the buyer.
    Point is, it works both ways. Who ever ends up with the loss assumes the other person to be fraudulent. In my case likely someone from post office messed up and so may be in your case too.
    You didn't send USPS express?

    I don't understand how anyone would buy or sell an item more than $400 and not require express.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LelandJ View Post
    You didn't send USPS express?

    I don't understand how anyone would buy or sell an item more than $400 and not require express.
    No, I did not know the USPS standard tracking sucks. They gave me a customs tracking number which I though would suffice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •