• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Some of My Selected Works

I'm currently a student enrolled at FIT and I thought I'd share some of the works I've done in the past few semesters.

I'll update this thread as I find more pictures/create new things.

Feel free to offer any critiques.

Materials: Aluminum

Materials: Plexiglass, nickel spikes

Materials: Aluminum, nickel spikes
    Last edited by Ahimsa; 12-10-2013, 04:23 PM.
    StyleZeitgeist Magazine | Store
  • Ahimsa
    Vegan Police
    • Sep 2011

Materials: White Birch, rivets

Materials: Aluminum, nickel spikes

Comment

• blackfedora
      • Jan 2012

These are some pretty brutal (good kind) designs, might be time for me to start cross dressing. Actually, could I borrow the nickel spiked plexiglass corset, it will improve the morning commute immeasurably....maybe a few more spikes too...

Comment

• ahn
        • Jul 2012

Congratulations on such a spectacular range of works. The white birch bodice in particular is outrageously beautiful!
        some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• radio-aktivität
          • Jan 2011

The simplicity of both the plastic and birch corsets is really beautiful.

But then I ask myself if the designs really benefit from these spikes. I can be wrong, but I find them both distracting from the original form and, which may be a personal point of view, to look cheap. To me, these belong to an 80ies heavy metal denim jacket, and not to such delicate objects.
          Which, again, can be a good contrast, if that is what you were looking for. It’s yours, not mine.

…and that first dress if so badass. damn.

Comment

• Ahimsa
            Vegan Police
            • Sep 2011

Thank you all so much.

blackfedora I actually almost ended up putting more spikes into it when I was making it XD

ahn It means a lot coming from someone whose work I admire and respect so much.

radio-aktivität, the spikes were actually the predecessors to the rivets because they were the only things I could find that weren't screws...and I could not get behind using screws lol. I really do like how they turned out in the aluminum dress, but maybe a similar style would also work well with rivets? The issue with what I make is that it's hard to get advice from professors that pretty much only work with cloth so I'm just winging a lot of it and have to source my materials with little to no reference :(.
            I also did try a Plexiglass top with a white paint stroke over the bust as well but it didn't pan out quite as well as I had imagined it in my head. I do love how it looks like the spikes are just floating though.
            I actually do want to make a really clean Plexiglass piece, with the "seams" being connected by drilling little indents into them and putting tiny cylindrical earth magnets in.

Comment

• Ahimsa
              Vegan Police
              • Sep 2011

Materials: Aluminum, nickel spikes, bamboo thread.

Comment

• k3mist
                • Apr 2013

very interesting. the birch being my favorite. you can easily see that being made in fabric or at least covered in.

the plexiglass one is also intriguing (although i do agree that the spikes are distracting, how was the form made?

the last picture looks good too. although i am wondering on the process behind these? were they made around a brief or are these part of a final collection.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                  Vegan Police
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by k3mist View Post
                  very interesting. the birch being my favorite. you can easily see that being made in fabric or at least covered in.

the plexiglass one is also intriguing (although i do agree that the spikes are distracting, how was the form made?

the last picture looks good too. although i am wondering on the process behind these? were they made around a brief or are these part of a final collection.
                  Sorry about the late reply, I'm in the midst of finals.

Most of these were made during an independent study of "wearable art".

My professor actually had me do a write up of the process for each one so if you are indeed interested I could go through them.

But to first answer the Plexiglass question, it was made by first cutting smaller sheets, basically you just score a line and snap like normal glass. I did the initial heating in an electric oven at around 225-250 degrees F. Gas ovens are bad because they're so uneven and can create bubbles fairly easily. I put it on wooden blocks so I could watch for when it begins to become pliable enough as it starts to droop. When you pull it out you only have a few seconds to work before it hardens so you basically have to work extremely fast. If you let it touch itself it will adhere to itself which means wasted Plexiglass XD. I did the initial shaping on a dressform. I then used a heat gun to get it more the way I wanted it. (the heatgun can and will burn holes into a dressform if it gets to close) After that I marked and cut it with a Dremel saw. Used heatgun again to make a better fit. ALWAYS wear goggles when you're sawing/sanding it...hot melted bits fly at you and it's fairly terrible to get any in your eye. (granted I sometimes forgot and did get a piece in my eye at one point.) I also recommend a filtered mask as it is toxic. After cutting I sanded it with a Dremel to get a clean shape and then hand sanded it to get it all smooth. Holes were drilled. That's basically it, but the process can be quite laborious and messing up basically means the whole thing will probably be ruined.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                    Vegan Police
                    • Sep 2011

I had to drape half a skirt for soft silhouettes and I kinda liked the results:

Comment

• kuugaia
                      • Feb 2010

Great work Ahimsa, keep at it! The texture of that skirt's fabric is pretty amazing.

I'm not a personal fan of spikes either, even though I get how it's a practical construction choice. Birch also the favourite for me here.

Comment

• Ahimsa
                        Vegan Police
                        • Sep 2011

Thank you so much kuugaia!

Some pictures of my term garment for soft draping.

It's one piece of fabric, uncut. Everything but the hem is hand-sewn.

Comment

• Faust
                          kitsch killer
                          • Sep 2006

/\ this is really beautiful
                          Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• Ahimsa
                            Vegan Police
                            • Sep 2011

ahh, thank you so much Faust.

Comment

• interest1
                              • Nov 2008

Seriously impressive.
                              sain't