X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chinorlz
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by ahn View Post
    Obviously the metal textile has piqued my attention, I'd love to know more about the application in this collection. Silver has a melting point of 960°C, so I would imagine that it would just burn any textile it came into contact with. I have no idea how else you could liquify silver without melting it the traditional way. Very interesting!
    I'm curious as well, although i would imagine it was woven using fine spun silver thread. Ann D. has used metal blended in with her fabrics in the past so I'm sure it is quite possible to increase the metal fiber %.

In regards to the oxidization, if the garment is regularly worn, it likely won't show much tarnish over time. You'll have to leave it for a while. Some silver products are coated as well to prevent oxidization... not sure if Deepti has done this as well.
    www.AlbertHuangMD.com - Digital Portfolio Of Projects & Designs

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• newp
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Faust View Post
      What is deep tailoring?
      Some term only Deepti could be described with.

Originally posted by Amir View Post
      Who stocks Deepti in London?
      Library. I've asked to make a photo of sweater to share and got an immediate rejection from the staff. Not that I was unable to do it in a fitting room but whatever.

Comment

• boodude
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by newp View Post

Library. I've asked to make a photo of sweater to share and got an immediate rejection from the staff. Not that I was unable to do it in a fitting room but whatever.
        what are the prices like?

Comment

• Chinorlz
          • Sep 2006

Although I respect a designer's stance to remain as off-line as possible, from a business and long-term viability perspective, online sales are the way the world works these days. Time and time again, physical stores have folded because of the move towards international (ie- phone call purchases or online purchases... both reliant on digital images) or at least off-site purchases.

It would be a pleasure to be able to see and handle garments in stores, but with low production and only half a dozen stores in the world carrying the work, it keeps the work out of the hands and eyes of those that would appreciate (and likely buy) it.

Merz (5/22/09):"i'm a firm believer that the ultimate prevailing logic in design is 'does shit look sick as fuck' "

Comment

• Faust
            kitsch killer
            • Sep 2006

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months - Oscar Wilde

StyleZeitgeist Magazine

Comment

• TriggerDiscipline
              • Apr 2013

so deepti uses these reversible ykk's for the parka, it works out really cool.

the other side of the parka is black, very interesting mechanic

Originally posted by unwashed
              Try to use a phone camera in broad daylight or use a proper camera.
              Originally posted by Ahimsa
              I've found it extremely pleasant and enthralling over repeated whiffs so I would highly recommend.

Comment

• blackfedora
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ahn View Post
                Obviously the metal textile has piqued my attention, I'd love to know more about the application in this collection. Silver has a melting point of 960°C, so I would imagine that it would just burn any textile it came into contact with. I have no idea how else you could liquify silver without melting it the traditional way. Very interesting!

When I handled the silver sweater it did not look like or feel like silver thread. It was made of polyamide and did not look like it was spun with silver thread. It's likely done by some means of electrodeposition. So basically an aqueous solution of a silver salt is made(silver nitrate being the likely suspect due to moderate light stability, water solubility and accessibility) then the garment is immersed in it and either an eletrical or chemical reduction is initiated whereby the silver precipitates out in fine colloids and binds to the material. Although I can't be certain of this, it seems logical because the reaction can take place at room temperature and under mild reproducible conditions.

Comment

• cjbreed
                  • Feb 2009

well....duh. i mean everybody knows that.

:-/
                  dying and coming back gives you considerable perspective

Comment

• blackfedora
                    • Jan 2012

Ha C. I just reasoned it be like chrome plating plastic, which is basically the same method. I could be entirely off the mark though.

Comment

• newp
                      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by boodude View Post
                      what are the prices like?
                      I don't remember it, sorry. Try to mail Project 314, they are fast and reliable (314projectmoscow@gmail.com) or any other boutique stocking Deepti.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                        • Sep 2006

Nice detail and descriptions blackfedora! Sounds reasonable and pretty interesting!

Comment

• ahn
                          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by blackfedora View Post
                          When I handled the silver sweater it did not look like or feel like silver thread. It was made of polyamide and did not look like it was spun with silver thread. It's likely done by some means of electrodeposition. So basically an aqueous solution of a silver salt is made(silver nitrate being the likely suspect due to moderate light stability, water solubility and accessibility) then the garment is immersed in it and either an eletrical or chemical reduction is initiated whereby the silver precipitates out in fine colloids and binds to the material. Although I can't be certain of this, it seems logical because the reaction can take place at room temperature and under mild reproducible conditions.
                          I had also assumed it to be fine silver thread until I read 'liquid metal'.

Electroplating would make more sense provided the metal deposits could adhere to the original textile since not all bases are suitable for the binding process. And to be honest I wouldn't expect any kind of porous textile to bind to metal during that process at all. In fact, quite the opposite.

On a side note, it just REALLY grinds my gears when people refer to electroplating as something being 'dipped' or 'coated' in 'liquid/molten metal'. It's completely incorrect/misleading. It sounds very romantic but so is the actual science of electroplating, why can't we just call a spade a spade? I think I have complained of this in another thread somewhere. It's really one of my pet peeves

If it isn't electroplated then my curiosity persists!
                          some do it fast, some do it better in smaller amounts.

Comment

• blackfedora
                            • Jan 2012

So I dorked out and did a little more research to see if my thoughts were more than fanciful conjecture. It turns out there is definitive (scanning electron micrograph) evidence that silver nanoparticles can be impregnated into a nylon-6,6 matrix via the method I mentioned earlier, i.e.: silver nitrate bath followed by chemical reduction (in this case NaBH4, sodium borohydride). For anyone who wants a read through, here is a downloadable pdf link. Although it goes off into some scientific jargon later on in the article, the introduction is fairly straight forward.

As you correctly postulated Ahn, the porosity of of the nylon needs to be permeated by the metal in order to get it to properly bind within the 3 dimensional matrix. In the above paper, the solubilized ionic silver is able to enter the nylon pores, bind (via electrostatic forces) and is then subsequently "precipitated" out into their metallic form upon reduction but remain locked within the matrix/pores of the nylon (the reducing agent is small and can enter/exit the matrix and be solubilized whereas the precipitated silver probably forms "large" (~5-50 atoms) clusters and is insoluble, thus getting trapped.

Edit: If you own this sweater, probably best not to wash vigorously with soap, see here for experimental.
                            Last edited by blackfedora; 11-10-2014, 08:33 PM.

Comment

• Chinorlz
                              • Sep 2006

^ nice!

Comment

• zen dog
                                • Jan 2014

^ Yes! Good work blackfedora. I don't own any silver clothing yet, although I definitely like the idea. Now I'm going to use some caution. I've avoided nanoparticles in sunscreen because I don't think enough research has been done on how they behave in the body. The human body hasn't had to cope with these particles before and they can pass through cell walls.

I'd make a joke about not buying any silver underwear about now but I think it is a reality- because of silver's antimicrobial properties.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎