X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • modesclave
    • Mar 2010

Fabric to make basics

I am trying to make some basic tops for day to day wear, and to teach myself sewing.

No matter how hard I look, I cant find any fabric like those used in BBS tops. Its a cotton knit, but incredibly light weight, almost see through.

Anyone know if there is a name for this style fabric? Or where I could acquire some?
  • mgala
    • Sep 2014

I haven't had any luck either. Ive been looking all over Paris... But some stores call it tissue weight jersey

Comment

• originalre0
      • Jan 2011

fine jersey , 100%cotton / mix with silk are the best , is really hard to find this kind of jersey

Comment

• Warg
        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by modesclave View Post
        I am trying to make some basic tops for day to day wear, and to teach myself sewing.

No matter how hard I look, I cant find any fabric like those used in BBS tops. Its a cotton knit, but incredibly light weight, almost see through.

Anyone know if there is a name for this style fabric? Or where I could acquire some?
        I've tried a lot of ways to get to those kind of fabrics.
        I taught myself sewing and making my clothes.

I don't know where you are from but in NYC:

i would recommend "element fabric". It's on 40th street between 7th and 8th avenue. They have the most jersey.(colors thicknesses textures) I like this shop because they have a lot of thin wool knit but cottons also. I personally really like the light fabrics from Rick Owens and found some over there. As many shops they don t always have everything in stock... sometimes you got to wait for it to come back if you don't have enough or get another color...
        The see threw farbics are the hardest to find but still findable over there.

The classic "Mood" has also some nice ones. But almost never have black... i only go when i have time to kill and i m over there.

The reason i recommend "EF" is because they also have the best silk knit! (like really nice) When "Mood" only has a couple of those and really in dark color... (went his week for cashmere and they only had peach nude or pink colors) A big thing about "EF" is that they have the best (!) sweat fabric you can find! I remember wondering how one of my hoodie from Owens could keep me as worm and it s just the way it s fleeced on the inside of the fabric and it was there only i could find the same. Colors also aren't always there so buy as much as you can while you can ahah but it comes by often.

If you aren't in NYC you d have to go online for it... do not buy fabric before you see it! i've been so disappointed too often. (ribs not as i wanted or the thickness just off) Most shop will send swatches so ask some and just keep your references to order more later. You always can plan a trip in NYC with an empty suit case and go back home with enough fabric to keep you busy months :)

I hope i help and if you are in NYC don't be afriad to message me, we can go fabric shopping together :)

Comment

• Queen Elizatits
          • Jan 2014

It's not the same but have you tried slub jersey? It's what I ended up ordering when I was looking for a fabric like what you are describing. It's an okay substitute with a nice drape and on the plus side you should be able to find it at most fabric stores.

Comment

• lupus
            • Nov 2013

If you're in LA I know great places for unbelievable prices.

Comment

• josu24
              • Apr 2014

Anybody here have experience with bamboo/cotton blends for basics? Saw some rick tee's in 100% bamboo. Is it preferable to go for a blend or 100%?

Comment

• zen dog
                • Jan 2014

lupus, I'd be interested in some names if you have what I'm looking for: stretchy cotton or linen ( about anything but wool) for beanies, I want a good stretch and something that has an interesting look/feel to it.

International Silks and Woolens on Beverly is a great shop but had a hard time filling my needs

thanks

Comment

• Amir
                  • May 2010

Originally posted by josu24 View Post
                  Anybody here have experience with bamboo/cotton blends for basics? Saw some rick tee's in 100% bamboo. Is it preferable to go for a blend or 100%?
                  From my experience bamboo works well. It's also a more eco-friendly material (compared to cotton)

Comment

• Lohikaarme
                    • Jul 2013

Originally posted by josu24 View Post
                    If the bamboo is "bamboo viscose" then it'll act like viscose. No clue on the more "woven" feeling bamboos.

Comment

• josu24
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Lohikaarme View Post
                      If the bamboo is "bamboo viscose" then it'll act like viscose. No clue on the more "woven" feeling bamboos.
                      Thanks!

Comment

• cyberthom
                        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Warg View Post
                        i would recommend "element fabric". It's on 40th street between 7th and 8th avenue.
                        Do you mean "Elegant Fabrics"?

Thanks for tip!

Comment

• eleves
                          • Sep 2012

I've never been to Elegant (or Element if its a small unknown spot) but I have been to Mood and I do like it. What sucks about Mood is that it happens to be the "famous" spot because of Project Runway I think and it just attracts a shit ton of people in general and can get packed. The reason I like it a lot is because amongst the crowd, you can mean some interesting people including new designers with interesting visions. Had a pleasant conversation about Geoffrey B. Small when I was there last with an up and coming designer influenced by his work. They also have a cute lil dog named Swatch running around!

Also just found out that there happens to be a sale on all red fabrics until Feb 15 for anyone who wants experiment with some color!
                          Last edited by eleves; 02-12-2015, 11:30 AM.
                          Originally posted by Faust
                          HOBBY?! HOBBY?!?!?!?!?! You are on SZ, buddy - it ain't no hobby, it's passion, religion, and unbounded cosmic love rolled into one.

Comment

• alyen
                            • Oct 2015

I think more important is to look at the weight of the fabric, a lightweight t-shirt or tank would be best made with jersey or ribbed cotton that is a 110 to 185 gsm.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎